bowflex

Absolute Worst Timing Having to Lease a Car

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I really dislike American cars. If there's one thing the U.S. sucks at, it's making a good automobile.

Don't get me wrong -- most American cars have some awesome features. Unfortunately, they tent to drive like $hit. Last time I checked, it's more important for the car to drive well than have OnStar or video screens in the back seat.

The only American cars I've ever liked are the Chevrolet Corvette and Dodge Viper, both of which are very expensive. It almost seems like all American automotive skills went into those two cars and the rest got whatever was left over.

I prefer German or Japanese vehicles. German cars tend to be very expensive (trust me, I know!) but are incredible cars. Unless you're purchasing a Lexus, Japanese cars usually cost less. Oddly enough, Japanese cars seem to have fewer mechanical and electronic issues than German cars.

As a side note, my grandfather refuses to buy a German car, but he has no problem getting a Japanese car. My grandfather fought in Europe during WWII, but never went to the Pacific. That's probably why. We're also Jewish, so maybe that pesky Nazi ordeal made him a little biased. :P

wasn't it you that has a bmw that has issues? :whistle:

i've got a 13 year old camaro. had a rental bmw (300 series) once and i was quite disappointed in it. gas hog, low acceleration. i prefer my camaro. it currently has about 120k in miles and no serious work done on it so far, although this coming weekend we're replacing all factory shocks and struts and redoing the bushings in the back. camaro was made in canada - as was my truck. i've had very good luck with canadian made chevy's.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I love my Honda Accord... we actually have two Honda Accords.. mine is a 1997 4 door automatic and hubby's is a 1996 2 door standard.. both are the same colour too...lol

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not to crash the import party but I personally love American cars. Old and new. I like the heaviness of them and the handling. Sorry but unless the imports come up with something beefier, I'm all American all the time. I'm so retro-cool it hurts. :P

And I would love a new 2010 Camaro. Drool. Alas, I'll be stuck with what I got for a few years long.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I really dislike American cars. If there's one thing the U.S. sucks at, it's making a good automobile.

Don't get me wrong -- most American cars have some awesome features. Unfortunately, they tent to drive like $hit. Last time I checked, it's more important for the car to drive well than have OnStar or video screens in the back seat.

The only American cars I've ever liked are the Chevrolet Corvette and Dodge Viper, both of which are very expensive. It almost seems like all American automotive skills went into those two cars and the rest got whatever was left over.

I prefer German or Japanese vehicles. German cars tend to be very expensive (trust me, I know!) but are incredible cars. Unless you're purchasing a Lexus, Japanese cars usually cost less. Oddly enough, Japanese cars seem to have fewer mechanical and electronic issues than German cars.

As a side note, my grandfather refuses to buy a German car, but he has no problem getting a Japanese car. My grandfather fought in Europe during WWII, but never went to the Pacific. That's probably why. We're also Jewish, so maybe that pesky Nazi ordeal made him a little biased. :P

i've got a 13 year old camaro. had a rental bmw (300 series) once and i was quite disappointed in it. gas hog, low acceleration. i prefer my camaro. it currently has about 120k in miles and no serious work done on it so far, although this coming weekend we're replacing all factory shocks and struts and redoing the bushings in the back. camaro was made in canada - as was my truck. i've had very good luck with canadian made chevy's.

Yeah and I also wrote this: "Oddly enough, Japanese cars seem to have fewer mechanical and electronic issues than German cars.." ;)

Timeline

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?se...tory=amMade0709

I have only owned Acura and Toyota, and as of right now would never even step into a GMC or dodge dealership. Possibly a ford, but not likely! My parents have always like ford and dodge! They just test drove piles of vehicles and went with the Toyota Venza.

According to the link I provided, the Japanese cars are more "american made" than others!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Interesting that you mention this, Bowflex.

We got a used 2006 CRV in February and compaired to the negotiations that took place on getting our previous vehicle a in late 2007 (2008 Nissan Versa), they were NOT willing to budge at ALL.

They basically said, pay this amount or walk because we aren't going down a penny. My husband and I were there for 3 hours not talking to them, but deciding if it was worth it to pay the price.

We ended up doing it because the car only had 19 thousand miles on it at the time.

But then, my brother in law just bought a used Hyundai and they also refused to negotiate on the price!!

I'm surprised that in this economy, instead of trying to get cars off the lot, they would rather hold on to them? I think people figured this would be a great time to buy cars as it is for homes but I certainly didn't see any great deals in this area on cars.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

It depends on the car! My parents bought their new venza in Prince Albert Sk 9we grew up there) even though they live in Saskatoon! The stoon dealer would NOT budge on the price of the venza, and really he didn't have to, as they are selling them as fast as they get them, so the dealer has the upper hand. BUT they went to PA and got a bit better deal as the PA dealer has a lower "shop rate" and because some of the options are put on at thee dealer, the lower shop rate, translates into a bit of savings. I have always found that Honda/Toyota dont deal as much as GM, Ford/dodge! They were looking at the Lincoln MKX, and it started out at around 55,000, but after they throw in rebates, incentives, its down to mid 40,000. makes one think ur getting a good deal,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yeah and I also wrote this: "Oddly enough, Japanese cars seem to have fewer mechanical and electronic issues than German cars.." ;)

get a canadian made us brand car. i've had 3 so far and every one of them was/is great.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

get a canadian made us brand car. i've had 3 so far and every one of them was/is great.

GO Canada :P

I personnally have a thing for Toyota, my first car being a Echo. The quality of it was much better than all those economical cars I've been in (hyundai accent, chevy aveo, etc, etc) Currently driving a Mazda5 that hubby got to sit all the kids in it. It's alright but because it was the first year for that model we've had a lot of recalls on it, they serivced it and everything, but always makes me wonder what's the next thing that will cause us trouble on it (knock on wood it's been ok for 2 years nows)

Hubby always had a thing for Dodge trucks and recently got a 2004 Ram, and I must say I like that thing (minus the fact that the ABS controller just caught on fire 2 weeks ago and the truck has been sitting in the parking lot waiting for an answer from manufacturer, and Chrysler denies responsability even though it's not a part that is on any maintenance list, and technically a fuse should jump before a fire occurs no ? ) He also has a 1971 chevy Nova that I really like, nothing like an old classic!

Can't say I would vouch more for americans or foreign, but I definitely wouldn't mind either, if I like the car and the price agrees with me....

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Lol Just an update, I ended up not picking up the car yesterday and am going to give it one more go after work today to find a domestic car. I would rather be able to tell myself that I did everything I could to try to help and save Detroit and Windsor but I'm not expecting much. My wife rules so much she's been calling and emailing everyone today while she's working trying to find something that's logical. I will not pay over $400 for a car that I'm going to lease for three years and doesn't have the letters "errari" or "borgini" in their names haha.

Either way I've gotta decide by tomorrow cause the ol' Jeep is due to leave me. So weird how one can have so many memories in a car. I've only had it for 2 1/2 years but it's the car that I went camping with my wife in Ontario in, the car that we used to tailgate for so many Dave Matthews Band concerts in, the car that we drove around Windsor trying to pass the time until she was allowed to come home with me, and the very car that we packed up all her belongings in and crossed the Ambassador Bridge in.

Now I get to take it back and double my car payment, life enjoys kicking ya in the figs every once in a while to keep you honest I guess haha.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Lol Just an update, I ended up not picking up the car yesterday and am going to give it one more go after work today to find a domestic car. I would rather be able to tell myself that I did everything I could to try to help and save Detroit and Windsor but I'm not expecting much. My wife rules so much she's been calling and emailing everyone today while she's working trying to find something that's logical. I will not pay over $400 for a car that I'm going to lease for three years and doesn't have the letters "errari" or "borgini" in their names haha.

Either way I've gotta decide by tomorrow cause the ol' Jeep is due to leave me. So weird how one can have so many memories in a car. I've only had it for 2 1/2 years but it's the car that I went camping with my wife in Ontario in, the car that we used to tailgate for so many Dave Matthews Band concerts in, the car that we drove around Windsor trying to pass the time until she was allowed to come home with me, and the very car that we packed up all her belongings in and crossed the Ambassador Bridge in.

Now I get to take it back and double my car payment, life enjoys kicking ya in the figs every once in a while to keep you honest I guess haha.

Try a different dealership if you can. I'd send you to my Dad, but he's all the way in Mississauga :) My Dad said that a lot of people don't have good experience with certain Ford dealerships and then they come to his to compare and end up buying a car there simply because they are impressed with the service. I believe it.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

We got a used 2006 CRV in February and compaired to the negotiations that took place on getting our previous vehicle a in late 2007 (2008 Nissan Versa), they were NOT willing to budge at ALL.

They basically said, pay this amount or walk because we aren't going down a penny. My husband and I were there for 3 hours not talking to them, but deciding if it was worth it to pay the price.

Yep that's exactly the boat I'm in now! When I was pricing Chryslers and Jeeps at the place I've been going to forever, the salesperson said right off the bat that they pretty much couldn't do anything to help me and went into a speech about the banks. I wanted to tell them that the problem stemmed of course from the car company itself, otherwise it would still be handling its own leases, but I could tell this isn't the first time it came up so I just left good and well alone.

When my wife was house shopping I just told her I wanted to see it before we bought it but other than that, find your dream house. She deserved and deserves nothing less than that, but now when her lease is up in October I have a feeling there's going to be shiny new Huffy bike waiting for her in the garage LOL.

Try a different dealership if you can. I'd send you to my Dad, but he's all the way in Mississauga :) My Dad said that a lot of people don't have good experience with certain Ford dealerships and then they come to his to compare and end up buying a car there simply because they are impressed with the service. I believe it.

I'm gonna go ahead and believe this too and try a few more tonight :) Thanks for this, I'm really hoping it works. I just read an article about Detroit saying that there are so many vacant lots everywhere now that red foxes are moving in, then coyotes are moving in hunting those foxes Lol.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Timeline
Canadian cars are more cost efficient -- they run on maple syrup. :P

only problem is when they backfire - it sounds like eh! eh! eh!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Just an update, I finally gave up trying after visiting a slew of dealerships all weekend and picked up the Camry yesterday. I must say it's rough sitting so low to the ground after being in a Commander for 2 1/2 years but it's a sweet looking car. Guess the next foreclosure or red fox that moves into downtown Detroit can be blamed on me :blush:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.