Maverick64

I-134 questions...many!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline

Now that I have the NOA2 I am starting on the I-134. I have read alot on here but I am still confused on several points:

1) I see many people on here state that it must be notarized. I see in the instructions it says " Signing Form I-134 is under penalty of perjury under US law, for this reason, it is not neceassry to sign Form I-134 before a notary, nor to have your signature notarized after you sign it."

2) Question 11....I see that most are putting N/A Application for K1 visa and I assune checking the NO box? I feel uncomfortable saying NO on a form that is all about swearing that I WILL support my fiancee.

3) I have seen some people say that if you are above the 125% poverty guideline NOT to list savings accounts, as it will give the CO more things to ask questions about. What questions might those be???????????

4)Has anybody found a bank that can actually give you a statement of how much money has been deposited ina year. (I got a funny look from the bank teller when I mentioned this)

5) If I pay child support are my children wholly dependant or partial?

This seems to be the most confusing form so far...please help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

moved from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures to US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted in this forum.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline
Now that I have the NOA2 I am starting on the I-134. I have read alot on here but I am still confused on several points:

1) I see many people on here state that it must be notarized. I see in the instructions it says " Signing Form I-134 is under penalty of perjury under US law, for this reason, it is not neceassry to sign Form I-134 before a notary, nor to have your signature notarized after you sign it."

2) Question 11....I see that most are putting N/A Application for K1 visa and I assune checking the NO box? I feel uncomfortable saying NO on a form that is all about swearing that I WILL support my fiancee.

3) I have seen some people say that if you are above the 125% poverty guideline NOT to list savings accounts, as it will give the CO more things to ask questions about. What questions might those be???????????

4)Has anybody found a bank that can actually give you a statement of how much money has been deposited ina year. (I got a funny look from the bank teller when I mentioned this)

6) I see nowhere on the form or in the instructions where it says tax returns or W-2's are needed unles SELF EMPLOYED. But I see that people are stating that it was needed at the interview. Would the past three years W-2's be ok?

This is not listed on the guides, so you might have missed, hope it helps:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=305

I have not been on this part of the process though, and have some of the same doubts as you have, gonna wait for some answers too :)

5oMDm5.png

For the detailed timeline, please click "Timeline" under my avatar and check the "comments".

ROC Journey:-

05.12.2012 -- Mailed I-751 packet

05.21.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

05.30.2012 -- Biometric notice issued

06.06.2012 -- Biometrics Date (walk-in). Was scheduled for 06/14

xx.xx.2012 -- Card Production Ordered.

xx.xx.2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

New form does not need to be notarized. Older forms will need it.

Don't be, by virtue of filling out a K-1, you are supporting the benificiary. Read the note after that question - it should become clear why you should put N/A ..., No for that answer.

You will only need "assets" if you do not make the level by income alone. The questions would be based on how fast you could convert the items to cash (as in stocks/bonds), and if it will hurt you in the long run (like 401k money).

So - if your income level is enough to meet the level, go with that.

Talk to a manager - not the teller. Yes - my bank had no problem giving me this info.

If you claim them on your taxes, they are dependants, if not, you do not have to count them.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

1. Does not need to be notarized.

2. You do not check either box. "NA" means "NA" the question is not applicable to a K-1 visa. The form is used for many types of visas. The answer is "NA, K-1 visa for permanent reseidency"

3. Who cares? If you are a good margin above the opverty line, leave all other information blank. I did this and we had NO questions. I cannot speculate what they MIGHT have been had I filled in the information. If you are "borderline" then I would consider including asset information.

4. Yes. Mine. I wrote the letter to include exactly what the consulate required, addressed it to the consulate. I took it to the local branch President of my bank and asked her to type it on bank letterhead and sign it. I took a seat in her office and said "I will wait here". She has given me FOUR such letters, the original K-1/K-2 and AOS and the K-2 to follow and AOS. No problems. Do not talk to bank tellers, the do not do these letters and are not authorized to, it must be a bank officer.

5. They must be listed, I would presume they will be counted as "wholly" dependent and I do not know of any difference in how they are considered for "family size" whether they are "wholly" or "partially" dependent.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

6) I see nowhere on the form or in the instructions where it says tax returns or W-2's are needed unles SELF EMPLOYED. But I see that people are stating that it was needed at the interview. Would the past three years W-2's be ok?

The I-134 is only a part of the process of showing the intending immigrant will not become a public charge. Most consulates require the I-134 be supported with other documentation, proof of employment, tax returns (usually only one year), and/or employment letters and/or bank letters. For example Kiev specifies a minimum of TWO items from a list of FOUR items, though I know of one case where an applicant presented the I-134 with 3 of the 4 items but no tax return and she was held up until her fiance produced a tax return. Consualtes can make whatever rules they want and require whatever they want., and they do not even have to be consistent. You have two options here...get an answer from some people with experience in your particular consulate OR email the consulate and ask. I did neither, I just gave all four listed items at each interview.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.