MapleLeafBaby

AOS'rs...

2,317 posts in this topic

Ashen's advice for the SSN is best.

Far as the car - my husband and I also bought a car for me just recently, however they would not list me on the vehicle. If we wish to have me listed, we'll have to refinance down the line. I have no credit either, it's something I'm working on compiling (with no help in sight, currently).

Traveling: into Canada, you'd show your passport. Into the US, you'd show your Green Card.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay! Thank you guys :)

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Thanks Ashenflowers,

I am going to check the links you sent to me!

Yes I went to SSA and they said I can`t get SSN because that I was not eligible to work but the person I have seen was not friendly at all and doesn`t seem to know what she was doing but I have been told to not go to this office again...we called an other office around here and they said that since the CPB Officer wrote "work NOT authorized" they can`t issue me a SSN card and that we need to call DHS to get it fixed! We called DHS and they refer us to IRS for a Tax number...but it`s as long to get a tax number than it is for the SSN (I assume that I should get my EAD in around 8 weeks) so I quess that is better to wait to get my SSN card with my EAD...

I know it`s no rush but I found a nice car not too expensive and I really like it...I would like to buy it on my name but I am stuck now...can`t do anything...my husband has nice vision and dental insurance, he could add me now but he can`t because of this SSN number!

He can`t either add me on his health insurance because of this SSN!

I just don`t know what is best to do for the car...

thanks a lot again!

jo

You could always go back to the SSA office and bring proof that you can get your SSN. There's a link somewhere on VJ (it's the official USCIS website) that lists all visas and if they're applicable to get a SSN.

I really believe that you just talked to some people who don't know what they're doing.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Jo&Si- When filling out your SSN application, are you checking the box that says you're an alien authorized to work, or that you're an alien without authorization to work? Just make sure you put you are authorized to work, otherwise they will throw out your application automatically. You may already have done this, just trying to think of things that might help.

I think the only thing you can do is what Ashen and Peachy suggested- bring a printout from the SSN office saying you are eligible for an SSN and explain the situation. It may not work, since a lot of front line civil surgeons will only do what they think their computer or book says without listening to logic, but it's worth a try. I don't think it would really be worth it to get the I-94 corrected since you may not be far from getting your EAD, but that's just my opinion.

And yes, crossing into Canada you show your Canadian passport. Crossing into the US you present your GC, but sometimes they want to see your passport as well. Last time I crossed they asked to see my passport.

:angry: So, I was looking at my biometrics appt info. I'm trying to figure out something, and hoping you guys can :help:!

Do ALL the office descriptions on the USCIS website say they are appointment only? Or do some specifically say they talk walk-ins from the general public? All the ones I've seen say that only military personnel can go without appointments, and general public needs an appointment first. How are people accomplishing walk-ins with this 'rule'?

Also, I discovered that there's actually an ASC office MUCH closer to me than the one I was assigned to. There's one about 6-7 miles away, in the same town (it's apparently right beside a Kmart that my husband and I frequently go to.. lol)... however, I'm assigned to one that's in a different city, freaken 40 miles away!!?!?! I'm not going way out there if I don't have to. I already have to drive 2 hours almost, just to get to my interview location. ugh.

I mean, the service area info on the ASC office description says "ASCs are located in specific places to accommodate customers located near them. Even though most ASCs provide the same services, if you need an ASC, please use the one nearest you."... so it's like they're going against their own policies. lol :bonk:

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure what you mean by "by appointment" -- do you mean by the appointment time they write on the biometrics? Mine had an appointment time but I think you could basically go whenever...

The thing is, do you want to risk it? :P And the auxiliary offices may have listed phone numbers that you can call?

Good luck!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:angry: So, I was looking at my biometrics appt info. I'm trying to figure out something, and hoping you guys can :help:!

Do ALL the office descriptions on the USCIS website say they are appointment only? Or do some specifically say they talk walk-ins from the general public? All the ones I've seen say that only military personnel can go without appointments, and general public needs an appointment first. How are people accomplishing walk-ins with this 'rule'?

Also, I discovered that there's actually an ASC office MUCH closer to me than the one I was assigned to. There's one about 6-7 miles away, in the same town (it's apparently right beside a Kmart that my husband and I frequently go to.. lol)... however, I'm assigned to one that's in a different city, freaken 40 miles away!!?!?! I'm not going way out there if I don't have to. I already have to drive 2 hours almost, just to get to my interview location. ugh.

I mean, the service area info on the ASC office description says "ASCs are located in specific places to accommodate customers located near them. Even though most ASCs provide the same services, if you need an ASC, please use the one nearest you."... so it's like they're going against their own policies. lol :bonk:

Mine had an appointment time and I went at that time. It was pretty strict because it was a very busy office. I think some offices are less busy so they take walk-ins.

As for the ASC, I have no idea how they assign them... I'd probably just go to the one I was assigned and skip the headache of switching it.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Why not try the local one? Worst case scenario is that security doesn't let you in, and you'll have to go to the one in which you're scheduled. You should be able to tell that the biometrics were successfully recorded to your case by a touch either that day or a business day afterward.

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Timeline

My ASC appointment letter said "by appointment" so I assumed that meant they don't take walk-ins. The office was about 45 minutes from me, so I didn't really want to drive all the way there just to have them turn me away. When I walked in the first thing they said was "do you have an appointment" and then "can I seen your appointment letter?" so I think that was the best decision. Since you're in for a far drive, its probably not worth it, and I don't think doing them early really does too much for you.

Maybe the other ASC office is really busy, or maybe they moved it to a new location and didn't update the site? For the longest time the USCIS site had the wrong address for their office in Denver because they built a brand new facility last year and changed locations. Unfortunately the other location was a lot closer to me! But the new office was really fancy, I watched TV while waiting on my interview, that actually helped take some of the srress off

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they had some wrong info. They had the wrong phone # written for their deferred inspection site in L.A. That was interesting. lol

I would bet the office closer to me is less busy than the one I was assigned to, honestly. I'm definitely not going to try a walk-in to the one that's far, but I might go ahead and try to find the one closer to me. Like Spoom said, the worst they can do is say no, and I stick with my appointment far away. But at least the close on is in an area I go to frequently anyway. I haven't noticed the building/office all of the other times we've gone to that plaza actually, but then again I haven't been looking. lol And if it's anything like the SSA office here in town, it's a hole in a wall behind another building, and is hard to find when you ARE looking :lol:

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

You next, hurry up! :lol: I hope your wedding is beautiful!

LOL well tbh, right now..i'm not even thinking about AOS :) Kinda just been staring at my new husband all day and thinking how lucky i am to have such a wonderful handsome man :) I've had a (excuse the expression) Sh1te eating grin for two days now! :lol:

And after the sybaris pool/spa hotel we went too, i'm so relaxed, i dont think anything could even remotely piss me off this week.

Wedding went off without a hitch, even with the dogs barking their agreement in the background! David and i were both nervous, i DID NOT trip down the stairs woot! and i got tipsy off two glasses of wine! lol.

As the best man was filling up out champage glasses, i here my MIL ( who is a minister and a salvation arm officer) say "thats it! get the bride drunk"! :o

i almost choked on my drink lol. Oh and the oven perfectly timed with our FIL pronouncing us husband and wife! Right after he did that and started introducing us as mr. and mrs. the oven beeped...yep :lol:

Ahhh for once in my life everyting just seems serenely beautiful and perfect. :luv:

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

LOL well tbh, right now..i'm not even thinking about AOS :) Kinda just been staring at my new husband all day and thinking how lucky i am to have such a wonderful handsome man :) I've had a (excuse the expression) Sh1te eating grin for two days now! :lol:

For some people that feeling doesn't entirely go away :blush:

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Ashen's advice for the SSN is best.

Far as the car - my husband and I also bought a car for me just recently, however they would not list me on the vehicle. If we wish to have me listed, we'll have to refinance down the line. I have no credit either, it's something I'm working on compiling (with no help in sight, currently).

Traveling: into Canada, you'd show your passport. Into the US, you'd show your Green Card.

Thanks everyone for your help...don`t know what we will do yet with this SSN problem...We are a 5 hour drive to the nearest office...

Hugglesbuggles no I didn`t check the case "you're an alien without authorization to work", it`s written in big letters on my I-94

"Work NOT Authorized"...so at SSA office as soon as they looked at my I-94 they said "you can`t have a SSN, you are not authorized to work"...

When we called DHS they said it would take 4 to 6 weeks before we will hear from them to fix this...they suggested that I get a Tax number from the IRS ...the problem is that I can`t get driver`s license and any insurance with a tax number...and it will take around 4 to 6 weeks before I get a tax number...

So I am pretty much stuck with this...

I got my I-797 today for my AOS, EAD and AP applications today...so maybe I will just try to be patient until I get my EAD...

Thanks again for your advices...it`s really appreciated!

jo

Jo&Si

Adjustment of Status

AOS, AP. EAD sent on 2010-03-31 Received on April 1st

04/09/2010 NOA1 email/texts for I-485, I-131, I-765

04/17/2010 Biometrics appt letter received

04/21/2010 Biometrics done!!!

05/04/2010 Biometrics appt

04/29/2010 Case transfered to CSC

05/18/2010 AP approval on website after Expedite request for health reason

05/18/2010 EAD approval

06/08/2010 GC Production ordered

06/14/2010 Welcome letter received

06/24/2010 Green Card received

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : Vermont Service Center

Date Filed : 2012-04-24

NOA Date : 2012-04-30

Bio. Appt. : 2012-07-18 (early bio)

Approval / Denial Date : 2013-01-16

Approved :Yes

Got I551 Stamp :No

Green Card Received :01-26-2013

Timeline

Awwwwww!! :luv:

Congrats on the marriage kimbear!!

Timeline

And after the sybaris pool/spa hotel we went too, i'm so relaxed, i dont think anything could even remotely piss me off this week.

Wedding went off without a hitch, even with the dogs barking their agreement in the background! David and i were both nervous, i DID NOT trip down the stairs woot! and i got tipsy off two glasses of wine! lol.

As the best man was filling up out champage glasses, i here my MIL ( who is a minister and a salvation arm officer) say "thats it! get the bride drunk"! :o

i almost choked on my drink lol. Oh and the oven perfectly timed with our FIL pronouncing us husband and wife! Right after he did that and started introducing us as mr. and mrs. the oven beeped...yep :lol:

Ahhh for once in my life everyting just seems serenely beautiful and perfect. :luv:

Awww I'm so happy for you. I love that feeling, I still get it when I look at Wes. Congratulations! You definately deserved it to go well after all the other ####### you went through.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.