MapleLeafBaby

AOS'rs...

2,317 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!!

Just a quick question for those that travelled over the holiday:

how did your experience at the border/customs go if you still have your passport in your maiden name? I'm looking into a flight for next month and wondering if I'm going to get hassled with my passport, marriage certificate and GC.

Arabella, how was your experience?

I travelled to Canada in Aug and my passport was still in my maiden name. I booked my ticket in my maiden name so that it matched my passport, then when I presented my AP I asked them if they wanted my marriage certificate, but they understood that I entered on a K1 and that my name had changed with my AOS. Just book you ticket in the name to match your passport and bring your marriage certificate along and you should have no issues.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I travelled to Canada in Aug and my passport was still in my maiden name. I booked my ticket in my maiden name so that it matched my passport, then when I presented my AP I asked them if they wanted my marriage certificate, but they understood that I entered on a K1 and that my name had changed with my AOS. Just book you ticket in the name to match your passport and bring your marriage certificate along and you should have no issues.

That's what I was wondering. I've had my GC since about Thanksgiving and I now have that and an Iowa driver's license with my married name. That's what worries me. Having my passport in my maiden name, but all my US ID is in my married name. I'm just a little frustrated and don't know what to do. :( My Delta mileage account is still in my maiden name as well.

I'm planning on going back to BC near the end of next month, just want to make sure that I'm taking all the necessary precautions in case of something horrible happening, like being stuck at the border. :wacko:

Timeline

That's what I was wondering. I've had my GC since about Thanksgiving and I now have that and an Iowa driver's license with my married name. That's what worries me. Having my passport in my maiden name, but all my US ID is in my married name. I'm just a little frustrated and don't know what to do. :( My Delta mileage account is still in my maiden name as well.

I'm planning on going back to BC near the end of next month, just want to make sure that I'm taking all the necessary precautions in case of something horrible happening, like being stuck at the border. :wacko:

All you need is your marriage certificate and you will be fine. You may want to look into getting your passport in your new name while you are home....it will eliminate any hassles in the future. I think that you can get expedited service to have it back in 24 or 48 hrs.....not 100% sure on this one but I am sure you can find info on the passport canada site.

Timeline

All you need is your marriage certificate and you will be fine. You may want to look into getting your passport in your new name while you are home....it will eliminate any hassles in the future. I think that you can get expedited service to have it back in 24 or 48 hrs.....not 100% sure on this one but I am sure you can find info on the passport canada site.

Thanks. That helps a little. I was going to take a copy of my marriage certificate anyway, to show the change if my GC needs to be seen. It's just all a little frustrating as I'm still learning all this stuff. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've had my GC since November of 2009 and my passport is still in my maiden name. I've never had an issue. I actually don't plan on changing the name on my passport anytime soon, since it's valid until 2014 and I really don't want to give Passport Canada another $90 until its absolutely necessary! :lol:

I always fly domestically into Buffalo, NY and then drive across the border, so It's a little different than flying internationally I guess. I book my flights in my married name and use my CO DL as ID in the airport, I use my Canadian passport to enter Canada, and then my GC to get back into the US. I give the CBP my GC and they don't ever ask to see my passport.

Timeline

I've had my GC since November of 2009 and my passport is still in my maiden name. I've never had an issue. I actually don't plan on changing the name on my passport anytime soon, since it's valid until 2014 and I really don't want to give Passport Canada another $90 until its absolutely necessary! :lol:

I always fly domestically into Buffalo, NY and then drive across the border, so It's a little different than flying internationally I guess. I book my flights in my married name and use my CO DL as ID in the airport, I use my Canadian passport to enter Canada, and then my GC to get back into the US. I give the CBP my GC and they don't ever ask to see my passport.

Yeah, I'll probably be flying from Moline, IL to Seattle then my parents drive down from Vancouver to come and get me from the airport. My CA passport is still valid until 2012 so I think I may wait until I have to change it to do so.

It's just the booking of the flight that's causing my frustration right now. Like I was saying, my Delta account is still in my maiden name and to change it to my married name they need copies of my marriage certificate, DL... whatever shows and proves my name change. So that's the basis for my frazzled state right now. I plan on heading down in a few weeks and I still don't have a flight. Stupid procrastinating me. :P

I appreciate the info, though. Thanks. :)

Yeah, I'll probably be flying from Moline, IL to Seattle then my parents drive down from Vancouver to come and get me from the airport. My CA passport is still valid until 2012 so I think I may wait until I have to change it to do so.

It's just the booking of the flight that's causing my frustration right now. Like I was saying, my Delta account is still in my maiden name and to change it to my married name they need copies of my marriage certificate, DL... whatever shows and proves my name change. So that's the basis for my frazzled state right now. I plan on heading down in a few weeks and I still don't have a flight. Stupid procrastinating me. :P

I appreciate the info, though. Thanks. :)

Hey everyone I just started my AOS journey. Biometrics on the 14th! Which was a lot quicker than I expected!

I just had to comment on this because I was worried about this exact same thing. All of my new us cards IDs and such will be in my married name. I just got my passport a few months before comin here to the US so I don't want to pay the extra to change my name! Its nice to know that people have traveled back home this way and not had any hassles

Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

Filed I-751: December 29 2012
Rec NOA1: January 7 2013
Biometrics:January 25 2013

Green card approved: June 17 2013
OH CANADA OH CANADA YOU ARE SO FINE. OH CANADA OH CANADA YOU BLOW MY MIND

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

this is SUCH BULLSHIT. we got a ###### RFE. and even more annoying- it took them this ###### long to give an rfe. we move across the country next month and this is really not the stress we need right now.

uscis, you SUCK. you don't need any more ###### evidence. we're sitting here. still married. moving to settle down in oregon in february. seriously. back the #### off. you've made the last 4 years of our life a living ###### hell. bureaucratic nonsense. stuff it.

Edited by bogartnoir

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Hi

I don't know if other people have had same experience than me travelling back and forth USA/Canada border...I got my GC in June 2010.

I didn't start to work yet because my eldest got a baby in August. I wanted to be there to help her with my first grand kid. We have celebrated the fifty years wedding anniversary of my parents in August too.

I have traveled several times this year. The worse experience was last time I came back to USA from Montreal Airport.

I was in QC from August 10 to October 27. The CPB Officer started to harrass me with questions. He was very rude. He asked me why I was not working, why I have been so long in Canada. What I used to do as work,... He was not listening to my answers and just kept asking... I was shocked because I knew he has no right to treat me like this... He finally let me go...probably because I was looking at him in disbelief.

Hope it won`t happen to anyone!

Happy New Year to you all!

jo

Jo&Si

Adjustment of Status

AOS, AP. EAD sent on 2010-03-31 Received on April 1st

04/09/2010 NOA1 email/texts for I-485, I-131, I-765

04/17/2010 Biometrics appt letter received

04/21/2010 Biometrics done!!!

05/04/2010 Biometrics appt

04/29/2010 Case transfered to CSC

05/18/2010 AP approval on website after Expedite request for health reason

05/18/2010 EAD approval

06/08/2010 GC Production ordered

06/14/2010 Welcome letter received

06/24/2010 Green Card received

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : Vermont Service Center

Date Filed : 2012-04-24

NOA Date : 2012-04-30

Bio. Appt. : 2012-07-18 (early bio)

Approval / Denial Date : 2013-01-16

Approved :Yes

Got I551 Stamp :No

Green Card Received :01-26-2013

Hi

I don't know if other people have had same experience than me travelling back and forth USA/Canada border...I got my GC in June 2010.

I didn't start to work yet because my eldest got a baby in August. I wanted to be there to help her with my first grand kid. We have celebrated the fifty years wedding anniversary of my parents in August too.

I have traveled several times this year. The worse experience was last time I came back to USA from Montreal Airport.

I was in QC from August 10 to October 27. The CPB Officer started to harrass me with questions. He was very rude. He asked me why I was not working, why I have been so long in Canada. What I used to do as work,... He was not listening to my answers and just kept asking... I was shocked because I knew he has no right to treat me like this... He finally let me go...probably because I was looking at him in disbelief.

Hope it won`t happen to anyone!

Happy New Year to you all!

jo

Some officers are just jerks. I've been treated like that on occasion and I am a USC.

Some officers are just jerks. I've been treated like that on occasion and I am a USC.

very true. i'm a usc and ALL my negative experiences have been coming BACK to the US. crazy my own country gives me a harder time than the cbp ever have - they've always been nothing but nice!

this is SUCH BULLSHIT. we got a ###### RFE. and even more annoying- it took them this ###### long to give an rfe. we move across the country next month and this is really not the stress we need right now.

uscis, you SUCK. you don't need any more ###### evidence. we're sitting here. still married. moving to settle down in oregon in february. seriously. back the #### off. you've made the last 4 years of our life a living ###### hell. bureaucratic nonsense. stuff it.

that is absolutely crazy. hope your rfe is something simple. us really, really needs immigration reform. unfortunately - i don't think its going to happen anytime soon.

My GC got approved yesterday! (from CSC, no interview)

I didn't have any RFEs, even if i only sent my vaccination worksheet (no I-693). I sent the letter of explanation (for not sending I-693, etc..) i took on this Canadian board and it worked out good!

Good luck to everybody still waiting! :)

01/12/2011: GreenCard approved!!!!

Green card expiration date: 01/05/2013
Sent ROC package to VSC: 11/16/2012
NOA1: 11/20/2012

Approval: 04/29/2013!!!!

event.png

Timeline

My GC got approved yesterday! (from CSC, no interview)

I didn't have any RFEs, even if i only sent my vaccination worksheet (no I-693). I sent the letter of explanation (for not sending I-693, etc..) i took on this Canadian board and it worked out good!

Good luck to everybody still waiting! :)

Awesome! Mine got approved from CSC without an interview too. It makes things so much easier doesn't it? :)

Great to hear!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Grats...even if that did make me cry a little inside...

i sent off the letters etc to my congresswoman yesterday, hopefully i'll here soemething by end of week...been married 9 months now..still no aos....

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Grats...even if that did make me cry a little inside...

i sent off the letters etc to my congresswoman yesterday, hopefully i'll here soemething by end of week...been married 9 months now..still no aos....

OMFG...This is getting insane. I really feel for you Kimbear. I hope your congresswoman can help you out. Contacting mine helped get my biometrics and EAD, so hopefully you will have the same luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.