MapleLeafBaby

AOS'rs...

2,317 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

cdn- Any way you can apply to get your FL license in your maiden name now? Do you have an SSN in your maiden name? I was just wondering because without a valid Canadian license, I'm wondering if they will make you go through the whole process to get a Florida license- written test, driving test, etc. I could be wrong, and I hope I am, because that wouldn't be too fun.

Unfortunately, I can't even get one in my maiden name as there is a name mismatch in their system. (I tried, twice...) My SSN needs to be in my married name as all my government stuff is in my married name. Luckily, even if my Ontario expires, I can get a Florida DL when I have the right documentation, and don't need to take any tests. I just find it so weird that all my AOS stuff is in my married name, yet there is someplace in the system that still has my maiden when the SSA was trying to process me.

I am just anxious for tomorrow to come so I can start calling around to see get this all figured out. Hmf.

Our Timeline

March 21, 2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

November 6, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!

February 15, 2010 - POE Thousand Islands

March 27, 2010 - Wedding!

AOS

April 17, 2010 - I-485, I-765, I-131 sent to Chicago Lockbox

April 26, 2010 - Received NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

May 13, 2010 - Transferred to the CSC

May 19, 2010 - Biometrics appointment

June 17th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd & 30th - touches on I-485

June 25th, 2010 - E-mail: EAD approved

June 30th, 2010 - 2nd E-mail for EAD

July 1st, 2010 - Email: RFE being sent for AOS

July 2nd, 2010 - AP received in the mail

July 6th, 2010 - EAD received in the mail

July 8th, 2010 - Received RFE in the mail. They have no record of my medical!

July 12th, 2010 - RFE (new medical) sent back via Express mail

July 21st, 2010 - Welcome Letter (dated July 15th) received by mail and e-mail received stating GC approved

July 23rd, 2010 - GC received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unfortunately, I can't even get one in my maiden name as there is a name mismatch in their system. (I tried, twice...) My SSN needs to be in my married name as all my government stuff is in my married name. Luckily, even if my Ontario expires, I can get a Florida DL when I have the right documentation, and don't need to take any tests. I just find it so weird that all my AOS stuff is in my married name, yet there is someplace in the system that still has my maiden when the SSA was trying to process me.

I am just anxious for tomorrow to come so I can start calling around to see get this all figured out. Hmf.

I am having 100% exact problem as you! They have sent my SSN name verification request on April 6th and it still hasn't verified! Then once I got my EAD I went there again, and my EAD wouldn't verify so they sent verification request again! They say it takes a month to get an answer back. My Alberta DL expired on May 29th so I haven't been able to drive since then. I should be getting my green card next week and I'm SO hoping that will finally do the trick and I'll be able to get SSN changed and my DL. It's so frustrating, I've been to both SSN and DMV places many times and every time the answer is no.

0vi7t8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

so here we are july 9th, a month and a week after uscis received our aos paperwork, and i still have no biometrics appointment. i called they gave me a ref number, put in some sort of ticket, gave me no info and said dont call back for another 45 days..#######??

i've seen ppl get the bio before their case was even transfered. sigh. can't wait til i dont have to freaking deal with uscis ppl who just read a script..i mean talkign to this guy..i thought it was an answering machine...

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

I am having 100% exact problem as you! They have sent my SSN name verification request on April 6th and it still hasn't verified! Then once I got my EAD I went there again, and my EAD wouldn't verify so they sent verification request again! They say it takes a month to get an answer back. My Alberta DL expired on May 29th so I haven't been able to drive since then. I should be getting my green card next week and I'm SO hoping that will finally do the trick and I'll be able to get SSN changed and my DL. It's so frustrating, I've been to both SSN and DMV places many times and every time the answer is no.

Which SSN office did you go to? I can't remember if I asked you this before.

I went to the one in Livonia (on Plymouth Rd)& they changed my name... although it wasn't an easy in & out visit. They did have to do a verification, but sent it to me within 3-4 weeks.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

RFE Update...

So, I called Medisys in Montreal, but as I assumed, they can't send out another copy of my medical from October 2009. Luckily, I found a Civil Surgeon in the Orlando area that was able to take me in today and charged $155. Can't wait for this all to be over!

Our Timeline

AOS

July 21st, 2010 - Welcome Letter (dated July 15th) received by mail and e-mail received stating GC approved

Timeline

Which SSN office did you go to? I can't remember if I asked you this before.

I went to the one in Livonia (on Plymouth Rd)& they changed my name... although it wasn't an easy in & out visit. They did have to do a verification, but sent it to me within 3-4 weeks.

Hmmmm I went to one in Redford, on 7 mile. I went on April 6th, and they said it needs to verify. I went again on May 28, still nothing. Then I went when I got my EAD, it wasn't verifying so they sent the verification request again. I went again two weeks later, still nothing. She said to wait till my green card is here. But I just heard something else went to change their name with the green card and they couldn't do it. So frustrating

0vi7t8.png

Timeline

Hmmmm I went to one in Redford, on 7 mile. I went on April 6th, and they said it needs to verify. I went again on May 28, still nothing. Then I went when I got my EAD, it wasn't verifying so they sent the verification request again. I went again two weeks later, still nothing. She said to wait till my green card is here. But I just heard something else went to change their name with the green card and they couldn't do it. So frustrating

That would be rediculous if they can't change your name when you present your greencard.

But if they happen do give you a hastle, know that the one in Livonia worked for me.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

That would be rediculous if they can't change your name when you present your greencard.

But if they happen do give you a hastle, know that the one in Livonia worked for me.

I know! I hope it's very easy to do it next week. If they're giving me troubles, I'll go to Livonia one. Thanks :D

0vi7t8.png

Timeline

I know! I hope it's very easy to do it next week. If they're giving me troubles, I'll go to Livonia one. Thanks :D

I received a letter in the mail from Social Security today. It basically stated that I should have my card in 2 weeks. It's the same letter that I received the first time I applied for my SSN. I guess they just took a day to verify the name discrepancy in the system. Arya... I don't quite understand why it's taking them so long to do that for you!

Our Timeline

AOS

Timeline

Hey guys,

I know that there was some discussion back in May regarding AP validity once the Greencard was approved. My hubby and I want to take off on a cruise to the Bahamas in 3-4 weeks. My sister will be in town, it'll be my birthday, and we live in Florida so we just have to drive to a port. I won't be working just yet, so I won't need to worry about getting "time off."

I really want to get your take on the whole situation. I am being processed at the CSC, so I am hoping there will be no interview. Without an interview, does the AP become void once you get the welcome letter? I am signed up for e-mail notifications, but does that really count? We're willing to wait last minute to book something so we can evaluate our situation. Hubby needs to get his new passport in the mail too and that should be here in the next 2-3 weeks.

I would just really hate to send my RFE stuff back this week only to learn that the GC gets approved just before we are set to leave. MY RFE stuff must be sent back by August 11th, so I do have a window of time there. I am debating not rushing the RFE back to give myself more time... I haven't been able to find a ballpark figure of how long it usually takes for approval after an RFE is sent back. (A recent figure anyway.) A cruise we're looking at leaves on August 6th.

Feel free to share your comments or suggestions. Talking it over with hubby and my parents helps a bit, but getting feedback from others in the same immigration limbo is always helpful.

Our Timeline

AOS

Hey guys,

I know that there was some discussion back in May regarding AP validity once the Greencard was approved. My hubby and I want to take off on a cruise to the Bahamas in 3-4 weeks. My sister will be in town, it'll be my birthday, and we live in Florida so we just have to drive to a port. I won't be working just yet, so I won't need to worry about getting "time off."

I really want to get your take on the whole situation. I am being processed at the CSC, so I am hoping there will be no interview. Without an interview, does the AP become void once you get the welcome letter? I am signed up for e-mail notifications, but does that really count? We're willing to wait last minute to book something so we can evaluate our situation. Hubby needs to get his new passport in the mail too and that should be here in the next 2-3 weeks.

I would just really hate to send my RFE stuff back this week only to learn that the GC gets approved just before we are set to leave. MY RFE stuff must be sent back by August 11th, so I do have a window of time there. I am debating not rushing the RFE back to give myself more time... I haven't been able to find a ballpark figure of how long it usually takes for approval after an RFE is sent back. (A recent figure anyway.) A cruise we're looking at leaves on August 6th.

Feel free to share your comments or suggestions. Talking it over with hubby and my parents helps a bit, but getting feedback from others in the same immigration limbo is always helpful.

Hi

I have been traveling to Canada in June and my I-485 got approved the day I left for the USA.

I came back thru Montreal Airport on June 27th...the CBP Officer didn't check my file...She looked at my passport and my AP. She didn't really ask questions. She stamped one AP and gave both back to me. I told her "Are you sure? I think you have to keep one?" She said "I don't need it and you could need it more since your GC can take a year before getting approved!"

During the time I was in Canada my husband received my GC on June 24th...

So I don't think they really checked our case status...of course we never know with them!

But for me, it was a piece of cake to re enter in the USA that time...except the long wait to get to see the CBP Officer.

I'm in the Caribbean with my husband now and coming back on July 20th with my GC in hand so we will see how it goes!

So I don't know it will help you for your decision but I would have traveled anyway...It didn't say anywhere in the documents we received that the AP become invalid when the I-485 get approved. So how can we know it? But it's just me, I'm not telling you to do it. I'm just sharing my experience at POE with you.

Have a good Sunday!

jo

Jo&Si

Adjustment of Status

AOS, AP. EAD sent on 2010-03-31 Received on April 1st

04/09/2010 NOA1 email/texts for I-485, I-131, I-765

04/17/2010 Biometrics appt letter received

04/21/2010 Biometrics done!!!

05/04/2010 Biometrics appt

04/29/2010 Case transfered to CSC

05/18/2010 AP approval on website after Expedite request for health reason

05/18/2010 EAD approval

06/08/2010 GC Production ordered

06/14/2010 Welcome letter received

06/24/2010 Green Card received

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : Vermont Service Center

Date Filed : 2012-04-24

NOA Date : 2012-04-30

Bio. Appt. : 2012-07-18 (early bio)

Approval / Denial Date : 2013-01-16

Approved :Yes

Got I551 Stamp :No

Green Card Received :01-26-2013

Timeline

I received a letter in the mail from Social Security today. It basically stated that I should have my card in 2 weeks. It's the same letter that I received the first time I applied for my SSN. I guess they just took a day to verify the name discrepancy in the system. Arya... I don't quite understand why it's taking them so long to do that for you!

I don't understand either. I'm going back there on Tuesday since I think my green card will come in tomorrow. I don't think they know what they're doing.

0vi7t8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Reading over these recent posts about problems getting verification of change of status or married names vis SSA or DL reminded me of a problem another VJer and a friend had when she was updating her SSN after receiving citizenship. She had gone in the day after her ceremony to the SSA office, they copied her certificate and said it would be several weeks before USCIS updated their information and they would have to wait until it was validated. A month later she contacted them and it still wasn't validated. The following week she went into the office and met with a gentleman who looked the information up and said, yes, it had validated and the card should be ready shortly. 2 more weeks went by and no card so she contacted them again and got the message that they were still waiting for her information to be validated by USCIS! So, again, she went back and met with this same man who had told her the information had been validated. He checked the system - and actually spent some time trying to find out why it was saying both that she had validated and she hadn't validated. It turns out the someone at SSN had entered the information twice rather than just updating the request so there two separate entries for her in the system and the SSA system couldn't reconcile that fact so did not print out the card. Once he deleted the 'extra' entry the card printed without a problem. So, while USCIS does taKe a while to update the information, there could also be a problem with how the information was entered. Her suggestion is that you go to the local office -especially if you have received evidence from USCIS that the system is validated (eg. a green card), and ask to speak with someone who is willing to check for additional entries or mis-entered information. It seems like this may be a more common problem than just for her. I hope this proves useful to someone in getting their problems resolved.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

oh man... I haven't been on VJ in a couple days, and wow. cdn_gewels, I can NOT believe what is happening with the medicals for us. What a HORRIBLE (and unacceptable as far as I'm concerned) thing for them to LOSE something like this.

What did the Dr in Montreal say as an explanation as to why they couldn't send you a copy of the medical? I'm glad you were able to find a place that will do one for you. I can't get mine done until July 29th. :( I can't remember if I explained that here or not... but anyways, it's the best I could do... I'm a little stressed, because I only have until August 12 to deal with this, so that's cutting it close. They said it only takes about 2 days to get the results though, so that's good. I'm crossing my fingers for us.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Just realized I had a touch on my AOS on July 10th. What's the point? Are they poking around in there to make sure they've STILL lost my medical? geez... :angry:

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.