conny

What is "Additional Processing" in NVC?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I called NVC this morning and they got our case (yay!) but... They said it's undergoing "additional processing" and they "don't have timeline" for it. Convenient wording aside, I asked what that means and they said "we don't know" but I then asked "do other cases all undergo this additional processing?" and they very confidently said "some do, some don't". So, local experts, - what is it? and how long of a delay am I looking at here?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by conny

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I called NVC this morning and they got our case (yay!) but... They said it's undergoing "additional processing" and they "don't have timeline" for it. Convenient wording aside, I asked what that means and they said "we don't know" but I then asked "do other cases all undergo this additional processing?" and they very confidently said "some do, some don't". So, local experts, - what is it? and how long of a delay am I looking at here?

Thanks in advance!

Look here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t=0&start=0

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Apparently it just depends on what they are checking, and what they find, and if the clerk had a good breakfast. Hang in there.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Thanks in advance!

Hello..by all means check out the thread daboyz gave you the link to.

I was stuck there late last year, when they started to routinely put K1's into AP (they hadn't done this much previously) It seems to have been the start of subjecting petitions to further scrutiny.

The good news is that times have come way down since then. Also, here is a link that goes into what is involved in AP a bit more. I wish you a speedy trip

through the process :thumbs:

http://usaimmigrationattorney.com/Security...tiveReview.html

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks in advance!

It means additional background checks for one (or both) of you which are done manually. It is also one of the reasons I say NEVER to invest any money in ANY plans until the visa is in your fiance's hands and he is holding it, touching it and makes sure all is correct and the visa does not have to be sent back to correct errors (it has happened). You are chosen randomly or because one or both names triggered a "hit" on some bad guy list, usually a false hit but still has to be checked. They will NOT give you any details, they will NOT give you a timeline. Do NOT bother to ask. You will get a notice when the case is completed and sent to the consulate.

For you...AP is 2-8 weeks of further delay.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

What you can do, it's just to wait! We were stuck in AP 2 months. But maybe you will be luckier.. you can do nothing with it.. just wait..

K1

09/11/08 - I-129F Sent
09/16/08 - I-129F NOA1
02/06/09 - I-129F NOA2
02/13/09 - NVC Received
04/06/09 - NVC Left
04/09/09 - Embassy Received
05/18/09 - Interview Passed/Visa Approved
05/21/09 - Visa Received (picked up at Fedex in Kiev)
05/28/09 - Entered U.S. via JFK
05/29/09 - Applied for SS#
06/08/09 - SS# Received in the mail
06/12/09 - Applied for a Marriage License
06/19/09 - Wedding Day
07/03/09 - SS# under new name received in the mail

AOS/EAD/AP
07/27/09 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 Sent
07/31/09 - Package arrived in Chicago
08/03/09 - NOA for all 3 forms
08/27/09 - Case transferred to CSC
09/02/09 - Biometrics appointment - Done
09/03/09 - EAD touched
09/04/09 - AOS touched
09/14/09 - AP & EAD approved - Card Ordered
09/18/09 - AP Received in the mail
09/21/09 - EAD Card received in the mail
09/25/09 - AOS Approved
09/29/09 - Green Card Sent
10/02/09 - Green Card Received.
12/18/09 - Got my Drivers License.

ROC
06/27/11 - I-751 Sent.
07/01/11 - NOA.
08/15/11- Biometrics appointment.
03/17/12- ROC Approved - No Interview.

Naturalization
01/21/15 - N-400 Sent

04/15/15 - Became a US Citizen

It may not be a name hit. I was told at interview it was random.

Right, so the delay is equally random. Could be short though - it happens.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Had to create another thread on this as this seemed to have lost to me - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209375

In essence Additional Processing is confused here with Administrative Processing and does not take long at all - and is also done on 100% of cases, so some people just don't know that they hit it and others think they're in AP when the operator tells them they're doing additional processing still.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Had to create another thread on this as this seemed to have lost to me - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209375

In essence Additional Processing is confused here with Administrative Processing and does not take long at all - and is also done on 100% of cases, so some people just don't know that they hit it and others think they're in AP when the operator tells them they're doing additional processing still.

Actually we are well aware of what they do on 100% of the case and it doesn't take 8 weeks. Usually it is in and out of NVC within a week. Call it what you will, it can get hung up there for 8 weeks or more and I am sure you will have your own choice words for that. The shortest I know of "additional processing" (not routine) taking is about 10 days and that was fairly recently

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Gary,

how do you know that those cases that went in and out of NVC withing a week weren't actually in "Additional Processing"? I mean seriously - nobody will tell you if case was in Additional Processing after it was forwarded, right? Most people probably didn't even ask if their case was in AP and got no notes on it if their case got forwarded so fast.

It sounds like Gary is just reciting for you some of the posts and stats that are available on the web or posted here. It seems common sense to me, but maybe (kidding aside) I am missing your point. Help me understand what you really need to know, and the importance of that.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Administrative Processing and Additional Processing are exactly the same thing. It's whatever the person you get in contact with feels like saying.

This link, previously mentioned in this thread, will likely give you any and all information available.

More than likely, you will never find out was done to your case while it NVC had it and it likely won't affect the outcome of your interview.

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

Administrative Processing and Additional Processing are exactly the same thing. It's whatever the person you get in contact with feels like saying.

This link, previously mentioned in this thread, will likely give you any and all information available.

More than likely, you will never find out was done to your case while it NVC had it and it likely won't affect the outcome of your interview.

Maybe this is why I don't understand the question being asked.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

I consulted with attorney and he said the Administrative Processing is not the same as Additional Processing. NVC doesn't give details on what each process consists of but apparently those cases in Administrative Processing take longer. Also, apparently many cases (percentage-wise) go through additional processing. The only other difference that was notices between them is that Administrative Processing seems to be done on the cases with obvious red flags.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.