sunnybear

Moving back to England with American wife and kids?

29 posts in this topic

If you look on the Home Office UK Visas website:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/in...ivespartners#Q1

If you and your husband, wife or civil partner have been living together outside the UK for four years or more, and you meet all the necessary requirements to stay permanently in the UK, you may be granted indefinite leave to enter. These requirements include showing that you have the necessary level of knowledge of the English language and life in the UK (see relevant section of this guidance for more information).

Here's info about Life in the UK test (KOL):

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/settlemen...ledgeoflanguage

90day.jpg

Yes yes I knew about that. But that would mean flying back to the UK to take the test, then coming right back here to apply right away. Seems silly. I meant more like is it possible to go over with LTE, take the test soon after and apply for ILR long before your two years are up. More like the way here you can adjust status from another visa at any time, you don't have to wait until that visa is about to expire. Looks like no, you've got to wait out the two years before applying.

Thanks though! :)

Edited by imaisha

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Yes yes I knew about that. But that would mean flying back to the UK to take the test, then coming right back here to apply right away. Seems silly. I meant more like is it possible to go over with LTE, take the test soon after and apply for ILR long before your two years are up. More like the way here you can adjust status from another visa at any time, you don't have to wait until that visa is about to expire. Looks like no, you've got to wait out the two years before applying.

Thanks though! :)

I'm not sure that's my understanding of it.....a friend of mine recently did this, but she flew over on a seperate visit, took the test while she was there and then applied for ILR when she got back. However, I believe if she hadn't done that she could have applied for Further Leave to Remain (as someone married for at least 4 years), passed the KOL test and then applied straight away for ILR.....could be wrong about that, but that's how I understood it.

I think if you have lived in the UK for a couple years that KOL test is gonna be a helluva lot easier than if you have not.

90day.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Apparently its no longer in question but is now law as of 23rd. So if anyone needs to know the new requirements look up Borders Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009.

These changes will not be occurring in 2010 as you have said (hence my earlier response that in 2010 only the tier system will be evolving) but in fact will be occurring on July 2011.

Filed: Other Timeline
Apparently its no longer in question but is now law as of 23rd. So if anyone needs to know the new requirements look up Borders Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009.

These changes will not be occurring in 2010 as you have said (hence my earlier response that in 2010 only the tier system will be evolving) but in fact will be occurring on July 2011.

lancer -

I did not state that laws were changing in 2010. I stated the legislation is up for consideration till that time.

Upon googling Borders and Citizenship Act of 2009, one can find that further draft bills are expected beyond the one passed July 23.

So all I am saying is that Parliament is still working things out.

This is something i'll be keeping an eye on. Kris and I are planning on moving back to the UK (either Scotland or there abouts) in about 9/10 years time. I'm hoping to make sure we know all we need to do before then.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I imagine we'll move back someday as well. I will say I kinda wish I had stayed 2 more years and applied this year for UK citizenship. But then again part of the reason we moved in mid 07 was because I could see the economic storm clouds on the horizon and felt had I waited I would have been "stuck" in the UK until the economy fully recovered.

I imagine we'll move back someday as well. I will say I kinda wish I had stayed 2 more years and applied this year for UK citizenship. But then again part of the reason we moved in mid 07 was because I could see the economic storm clouds on the horizon and felt had I waited I would have been "stuck" in the UK until the economy fully recovered.

We delayed a return to the UK for this very reason....though I did get offered a job there, it would have been a sidewise move....chance of getting something better/career progression seemed slim. Got promoted here so it was all good

90day.jpg

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

We moved to the UK 4 years ago and the system was so much easier......there was no medical checks or police certificate.. We had to prove we could support ourselves and have a place to live.

Wyatt was entitled to NHS as soon as he set foot in the country - in fact the doctor never asked for any paperwork or proof, just looked at his passport. He was allowed to seek work right away and was free to travel in and out of the country.

Was quite a shocker to me after being put 'through the treadmill' with fiancé and spousal visas and if we had known it was so flipping easy to come from USA to UK we would have done it that way first.

Wyatt sat his Life in the UK test before he applied for permanent residency and apart from when he decides to go for citizenship I am happy to say our mountain of paperwork collected over 7 years can finally get thrown on the bonfire!!

The best site to help you further is http://www.UK-yankee.com/. Visa Journey helped me so much when going to USA and uk-yankee helped me going back!!

Pauline :star:

Edited by RubyWine

My NEW UK Website!!!

[/b]K1 Visa Timeline. USA - England. Through VSC[/b][/b][/u]

30th Dec - Sent I-129F to Vermont

31th Dec - Vermont Received Package

8th Jan - NOA1

16th Jan - NOA2 (8 days)

23rd Jan - NVC receives file

28th Jan - NVC sends petition on to London

02 Feb - London received petition

09 Feb - Packet 3 received from Embassy in London

11 Feb - Package 3 returned to London Embassy (Holds breath now)

4th Mar - INTERVIEW DATE!! - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

8th Mar - Flight booked to Newark NJ

8th Mar - ARRIVED IN MY BABES ARMS!!!!

10th Apr - MARRIED at Niagra Falls (USA Side)

26 Apri - Received Social Security Number

23rd Apr - Posted AOS and EAD

14 May - NOA for AOS (online 11 May) (and rejection for EAD (forgot to tick a box))!

17th May - sent EAD back

7th Jun - NOA1 for EAD

25 Jun - (AOS & EAD) Fingerprints and bio's at Philly

8th Jul - E-Filed for AP - NOA1 given 3 hours later

4th Aug - RFE for AP (via e-mail) documents lost!

6th Aug - RFE for AP via e-mail

9th Aug - Resent AP with new documents

16th Aug - NOA1 for AP received by post

24th Aug - AP APPROVED (via e-mail)

2nd Sep - AP arrives in mail!

10th Sep - EAD transferred to Vermont

16th Sep - Received NOA1 transfer to Vermont

20th Oct - DENIED EAD! :( entered wrong code -20th May - AOS Interview Date - NOT going. 28th June - GOING HOME TO UK

We moved to the UK 4 years ago and the system was so much easier......there was no medical checks or police certificate.. We had to prove we could support ourselves and have a place to live.

Wyatt was entitled to NHS as soon as he set foot in the country - in fact the doctor never asked for any paperwork or proof, just looked at his passport. He was allowed to seek work right away and was free to travel in and out of the country.

Was quite a shocker to me after being put 'through the treadmill' with fiancé and spousal visas and if we had known it was so flipping easy to come from USA to UK we would have done it that way first.

Wyatt sat his Life in the UK test before he applied for permanent residency and apart from when he decides to go for citizenship I am happy to say our mountain of paperwork collected over 7 years can finally get thrown on the bonfire!!

The best site to help you further is http://www.UK-yankee.com/. Visa Journey helped me so much when going to USA and uk-yankee helped me going back!!

I've already joined that forum and will keep watching things. Kris plans to help me learn alot before we get around to moving back. We both can't wait till that day arrives. For now we will continue to deal with living here and all the heat that comes with it. LOL

Filed: Other Timeline

I've already joined that forum and will keep watching things. Kris plans to help me learn alot before we get around to moving back. We both can't wait till that day arrives. For now we will continue to deal with living here and all the heat that comes with it. LOL

Things will probably change a lot between now and then, Robyn. Immigration wise that is.

of course it will change. I have no doubt. It's why we are going to keep an eye out on it all for now till then. LOL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.