Rey Cobham

Question 18! =) Help plz

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Greetings All,

Firstly may I say this web site is absolutely fab and just looking through all the happy peeps and helpful answers and guidance is heartwarming!

Having read thru the guides and FAQs a dozen or so times, its all starting to sink in and make sense and my fiance and myself are now filling out the I-129F and have hit question 18 and are a little unsure how to proceed. :blink:

The history:

We met online in 2002 in the roleplaying environment called Everquest. We became very good friends, spending 4 to 6 hours a day online together most days. During this I discovered she was married with children, but that the marriage had turned sour to the point of no return, although living under the same roof they were living separate lives. In January 2003 Pam was diagnosed with breast cancer, and went thru chemotherapy over a period of 9 months. Towards the end of her therapy (August 2003) I managed to scrape up the money to spend a week in Memphis with her in an attempt to cheer her up. We spent a happy week exploring Memphis and connected wonderfully. The next year or so was spent learning more about each other, chatting every day either online or via phone calls. Pam recovered fully from her bout with cancer and we began to start plannin our finances towards being able to marry and start our lives together. Pam finally moved out and divorced in late 2005, and is now living with the kids in Kentucky where I hope to join them if we can sift thru all this paperwork!

The questions:

We havent seen each other in almost 3 years now, how important is this likely to be?

We communicate every day for hours, have sent cards both ways, copious amounts of pressies, flowers etc. However evidence of this is likely to be limited to credit card bills, and phone bills as until recently I didnt realise how important reciepts for these would be. I do have some proof of my trip to the US in 2003, including Passport stamp, boarding tickets etc. We did however get some photos of ourselves together which will help! Neither of us are particularly rich, she works at a department store making endsmeat, while I'm a computer technician in a secondary school in the UK, making around 18,000 uk pounds annually.

Is it true that if my US fiance isnt earning enough cash this may be a problem? I'm hoping that once I've been processed and able to get a job I'll be earning similar to my current wages in US dollars :)

Any tips or answers to these would be fab, even with this amazing resource, this whole adventure is quite overwhelming!

Rey

Basic Timeline

================================

Currently -- Processing for AoS

26th June 2008 -- Married =)

27th April 2008 -- Arrive in the US to rejoin with my Pam :)

27th Feb 2008 -- K1 Visa Interviews in London and Approved!

Was working out financial situation after Sponsor bails on us...sorted with lots of help from rebeccajo! :)

1st Aug 2007 -- Medical at Knightsbridge Docs

16th Mar 2007 -- Recieved NOA2

12th Dec 2006 -- Recieved NOA1

04th Dec 2006 -- Sent I-129F

Filed: Timeline

Rey,

You must have seen each other in person within the 2 years prior to submitting the petition. One of you will have to scrape up the money to visit the other.

Money is an issue. Hopefully you will be able to get a job in the USA that pays as much or more than you are earning now, but it may be a few months or more until you are authorized to work and there is no assurance that you will be able to find work. A USC can go on public assistance if they cannot find work or cannot find work that pays enough to support them, a new immigrant cannot. You must have someone willing and able to support you up to the amount required by immigration law.

Yodrak

The questions:

We havent seen each other in almost 3 years now, how important is this likely to be?

We communicate every day for hours, have sent cards both ways, copious amounts of pressies, flowers etc. However evidence of this is likely to be limited to credit card bills, and phone bills as until recently I didnt realise how important reciepts for these would be. I do have some proof of my trip to the US in 2003, including Passport stamp, boarding tickets etc. We did however get some photos of ourselves together which will help! Neither of us are particularly rich, she works at a department store making endsmeat, while I'm a computer technician in a secondary school in the UK, making around 18,000 uk pounds annually.

Is it true that if my US fiance isnt earning enough cash this may be a problem? I'm hoping that once I've been processed and able to get a job I'll be earning similar to my current wages in US dollars :)

Any tips or answers to these would be fab, even with this amazing resource, this whole adventure is quite overwhelming!

Rey

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
The questions:

Rey

Hi, Rey. Hope this helps you. :)

1. We havent seen each other in almost 3 years now, how important is this likely to be?

The instructions on the form say that you must "provide copies of evidence that you and yourfiancé(e) have personally met within the last two years;or if you have never met within the last two years, provide a detailed explanation and evidence of the extreme hardship or customary, cultural or social practices that have prohibited your meeting.

As you can see, there are exceptions to the 2-year rule, but since I don't know what the reasons for your not having met in more than 3 years were, I can't give you a more concrete advice.

2. Is it true that if my US fiance isnt earning enough cash this may be a problem?

Yes. If your fiance doesn't meet the requirements (check the poverty guidelines), you'll need a co-sponsor. She and such co-sponsor both will need to send out affidavits of support, accompanied by documents that show their financial situation and the ability of supporting you in the U.S. This forms and evidences will only be sent later in the process, after your I129f has been approved.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Thanks for your input !

I feared as much - however the I-129F form indicates if its financially difficult or there are other reasons, not having seen each other within that time period may be overlooked - I guess this is not the case or will need to be looked into further!

I will be selling my house in the near future, and making a reasonable profit, easily able to sustain us for a year or so, which should be time enough for me to find the olde gainful employment! :)

Thanx again!

Rey

Basic Timeline

Was working out financial situation after Sponsor bails on us...sorted with lots of help from rebeccajo! :)

Timeline
Thanks for your input !

I feared as much - however the I-129F form indicates if its financially difficult or there are other reasons, not having seen each other within that time period may be overlooked - I guess this is not the case or will need to be looked into further!

I will be selling my house in the near future, and making a reasonable profit, easily able to sustain us for a year or so, which should be time enough for me to find the olde gainful employment! :)

Thanx again!

Rey

Yeah. The form says 'hardship', it doesn't mention financial difficulty. From what I've read about other VJ's experiences, financial hardship has not been seen as a valid reason for not having met within 2 years and has caused some petitions to be denied.

Also, the reason why they ask your fiance to send an affidavit of support is the period of time you'll need to get an EAD and find a job. I'm not sure (you'd need to do some research about it) whether there's been any case approved in which the foreign fiance has sent evidence of having means to support themselves in the U.S.

Quick editing to my reply above: the time to get an EAD and find a job is one of the reasons why they've come up with the affidavit thing. The underlying reason is that the U.S. government doesn't want foreigners to be a burden to the American system - as stated in the instruction packet received from the consulate.

Edited by Mew

Timeline (incompleta)

You can find the poverty guidelines here:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm#income

If your fiance does not meet these requirements, she can also get a co-sponsor to also file.

Good luck.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Timeline

Thanx guys :) Looking into it now!

Basic Timeline

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Rey

Rey,

Welcome to the funny farm. You've got some shuffling to do. As others have pointed out, the 2 years rule is ironclad. I have seen a total of one person get around this in 4 years and they did so off of cultural/religious reasons, not financial (and they might have fibbed).

You have a good job, you must get good time off, & a ticket to KY won't be that steep. Consider that seeing each other in person is a good idea for other reasons as well.

Go to uscis.gov to the forms section and look up I-864P. That will explain the level of income your fiancee must earn (gross) to support her household plus you (her + kids + you). While you *can* get to the US before she is earning that amount (based on your own funds) you might find things difficult once here. The I-864 will have to be completed for you to remain in the US (as part of the Adjustment of Status/I-485 application).

Bear in mind that it is very likely that you will not be working for your first 4-7 months in the US! Several people find this a shock, or even if prepared for the no income part of it, are disturbed by the sitting around the house part of it..

Congrats to Pam on her battle and victory! Another crappy thing to look at is the cost of health insurance in the US, and how few employers offer it to their workers (sometimes they will split the cost with the employee).

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

1) Read this link!!! http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

2) You have to have met in nperson in the last 24 months.

3) The petitioner must earn 125% of the Poverty guideline

4) Check the expiration date at the top right of your I129F to make sure you're using the most current form

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Timeline

Ok, bearing in mind we've not yet started the whole process, am I ok to enter the US on a tourist Visa and stay with her? And if so is there anything I should beware of? Its late Sunday night here and I'll probably reread thru FAQs and guides again tomorrow, so ignore me if I'm being daft! :)

Many thanks to everyone so far!

Rey

1) Read this link!!! http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

2) You have to have met in nperson in the last 24 months.

3) The petitioner must earn 125% of the Poverty guideline

4) Check the expiration date at the top right of your I129F to make sure you're using the most current form

Basic Timeline

Timeline
Ok, bearing in mind we've not yet started the whole process, am I ok to enter the US on a tourist Visa and stay with her? And if so is there anything I should beware of? Its late Sunday night here and I'll probably reread thru FAQs and guides again tomorrow, so ignore me if I'm being daft! :)

Many thanks to everyone so far!

Rey

You can certainly go visit your fiance before starting the process. You can even take the opportunity to go through all the forms and what'll you need so you can discuss things in person.

You can get a tourist visa, provided you meet the requirements that you'll find here: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/b2.html

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Rey & Mew,

Few UK citizens enter the US with a 'tourist visa'. It's more common to use the Visa Waiver Program/VWP. Using that allows you to come for a 90 day VISIT. Be prepared to answer the questions actually asked of you and/or to show that you live in the UK and are not immigrating to the US on that VISIT.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
Rey & Mew,

Few UK citizens enter the US with a 'tourist visa'. It's more common to use the Visa Waiver Program/VWP. Using that allows you to come for a 90 day VISIT. Be prepared to answer the questions actually asked of you and/or to show that you live in the UK and are not immigrating to the US on that VISIT.

woops, I didn't know. I guess the VWP works even better for him!

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Just one more chiming in. You will definitly need to meet within the two year requirement, there is no reason why you cant use VWP to enter the US prior to submitting the package. And if you have a job and proof of attachment to UK there is no reason you cant use VWP even after submitting package. Just expect possibly more questions at POE when you do, but it is perfectly legal and many visit the US while waiting for approval.

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Timeline

Awesome :) I thought as much but I keep hearing of these horror stories, and its a personal fear about getting stopped at a border and told I'm not allowed in /blush

You guys/gals rock, /bows to all of you :)

Rey

Basic Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.