mox

Welcome new members!

106 posts in this topic

Probably the best source of news these days is, sadly enough, The Daily Show.
I thought I was the only person who thought that

Your not alone, I believe that only the highly intelligent and truly informed get their news from the Daily Show and Colbert Report.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
Probably the best source of news these days is, sadly enough, The Daily Show.
I thought I was the only person who thought that

Your not alone, I believe that only the highly intelligent and truly informed get their news from the Daily Show and Colbert Report.

Jon Stewart was asked at a panel interview, a college kid was saying that his dad thought he should watch something else to get informed about current events than the Daily Show.

Stewart's reply is if you watch the Daily Show and you get the jokes, then you are informed. If you think it is serious news reporting you are either an idiot or a Fox News employee.

Filed: Timeline
Jon Stewart was asked at a panel interview, a college kid was saying that his dad thought he should watch something else to get informed about current events than the Daily Show.

Stewart's reply is if you watch the Daily Show and you get the jokes, then you are informed. If you think it is serious news reporting you are either an idiot or a Fox News employee.

Huh. Stewart doesn't usually repeat himself in the same sentence. :P

Huh. Stewart doesn't usually repeat himself in the same sentence. :P

Whats a little ambiguity between friends in an interview. I think anyone who watchs CNN,Fox New, MSNBC or broadcast news and thinks they are getting the unbiased truth is doomed to devolve into a knuckledragging, mastadon eating, cave living, fire discovering Neanderthal!

Thom n Elena

Finally Home

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

ROC

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Reschedule 7/22/09

LPR Card Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello, not sure where to begin "asking" questions? saw this thread and so thought I would introduce myself here and hope someone can direct me to the correct area.

My name is Bob, and after a few years searching/visiting Russia I have found the "one" for me. Her name is Olya (Оля) we will be meeting for the 3rd time in August. I leave on the 3rd and we will be enjoying the whole month of August together. I return the States on the 31st.

Looking to bring with me any and all documentation that we will need to file for the K1/K2 Visa (by the way Olya has a 9 year old son--Игорь). I know I need the "I-129F & G-325a" is there any other forms I will need to bring with me so that we can begin filling them out together?

also does Olya's divorce need to be "translated & Notorized"?

and any other suggestions/advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated

Роберт и Оля

began communication Nov 2008

1st meeting March 2009

met Mama March 2009

2nd meeting June 2009

3rd meeting August 2009

1st weekend spent at the Dacha August 2009

1st visit to the Banya August 2009

4th Meeting February 2010

NOA1 February 24 (we are together at this time!)

NOA2 April 13

5th Meeting June 2010

Medical Exam July 1

Interview July 12, 2010 at 10am (originally June 8)

6th meeting --- October 31, 2010 Finished my contract in Iraq and head to Russia so as that we all (myself, Olga and her son Igor) can travel together to America

Arrived --- November 11, 2010

MARRIED --- December 10, 2010!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hello, not sure where to begin "asking" questions? saw this thread and so thought I would introduce myself here and hope someone can direct me to the correct area.

My name is Bob, and after a few years searching/visiting Russia I have found the "one" for me. Her name is Olya (Оля) we will be meeting for the 3rd time in August. I leave on the 3rd and we will be enjoying the whole month of August together. I return the States on the 31st.

Looking to bring with me any and all documentation that we will need to file for the K1/K2 Visa (by the way Olya has a 9 year old son--Игорь). I know I need the "I-129F & G-325a" is there any other forms I will need to bring with me so that we can begin filling them out together?

also does Olya's divorce need to be "translated & Notorized"?

and any other suggestions/advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated

Hi Bob!

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Journey!

You're going to get a lot of "advice" from many others in the coming days and weeks, so be prepared to sort through a lot of information (and more than likely, a bit of misinformation).

The best place for you to start is to go to the Guides section at the top of this site and read through the K-1 Guide.

As for what you should bring during your visit--- you are correct-- the I-129F and the G-325a are the primary documents that you and your fiance can fill out together during your upcoming visit. Also, during your visit each of you can write out and sign an "Intent to Marry" -- you should be able to find a sample in the "example forms" tab above.

Other than that, remember to take some photos together during your trip, and be sure to save copies of your boarding passes, hotel receipts, etc during your trip -- things that show that you were there and even better if it shows that the two of your were there together. But don't stress about it too much and don't overdo it. There's no need to save every grocery store receipt, etc. All that USCIS is interested in at this point is that the two of you have met within the two years before filing your I-129F and that you have a legitimate relationship.

Also, you can begin to give some thought to the K-2 child. Does your fiancee have sole legal custody of the child? If not, then your fiancee can begin the work of securing a document from the father giving permission for the child to travel to the US. This document is not required in Moscow in order to receive the visa, but it is sometimes required by Russian authorities at the airport before they will allow the child to leave the country.

The process itself is really pretty simple --- the main frustration comes from the length of time that is required to go through the process.

So, sit back, enjoy your trip, and enjoy the Visa Journey!

Timeline

Sorry--- regarding the divorce certificate---

Olya's divorce documents DO need to be translated into English. I would recommend getting her and the child's birth certificates translated as well. You will need those further along in the process and it wouldn't hurt to send in copies with your I-129F packet. The documents do not need to be "notarized" --- but they should be "certified" --- all that means is that the person who does the translation includes and signs a statement certifying that they are qualified to translate from Russian (or whatever the native language is) into English.

Welcome, and we wish you a speedy journey. On translations (and another later-in-the-process document), I would add any transcript that needs to be evaluated here. My wife will be getting these translated, etc. on her first trip back home in September. We will send them on to be evaluated by a service here that can make calls on transfer credit or some such. Again, no immediate need, but if you are having some stuff translated anyway...

And about bad advice and misinformation, don't sweat that too much. Rob is right - the process is fairly simple, although detailed. Members of this forum also love to bird-dog and correct each other - and some watch the posts like hawks. If you get one post that suggests something or is vague - there will be ten or twelve screaming that it is wrong. It will usually be pretty obvious. :jest:

Relax, practice patience, and be happy you found your second half. We are happy to have you here :thumbs:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Thank you Rob_Lesya, & Brad and Vika,

I posted here first then we would not differentiate between languages/countries (though I have been reading the K1 guide lines) since Olya is Russian I would prefer to get the thoughts and knowledge from those who have had the experience thru the FSU standpoint. Though I know the process is the same regardless whether it is Phillipens, China, Thailand, Columba and so on...

Yet I figured there must be some reason (camaraderie, shared experienes or sharing knowledge of particular traits of this culture) why on VisaJourney they have seperate sections for various areas of the world.

now to get to the point;

we have already "put feelers" out to her ex-husband, at this time he states he will sign the necessary documentation for Igor to leave Russia(you know this can change). He has done this is the past to allow Olya to take a couple of vacations with Igor (Egypt, Thailand)

Photos, we have a bunch but of course will be taking more in August.

I have saved my boarding passes to date

though reciepts for museums and such things as we visited, I did not. But will save whatever we do in August (I'm assuming just photo copying them and submitting them with the petition will be sufficeint?

Thanks for the "heads-up" on translating her divorce decree and also the birth cetificates for both her and her son.

I leave in a week flyout on August 3rd and will be with her for the whole month of August, so really want to get a "cram course" of knowledge before I leave so;

Brad, you said other "future" documents may need to be translated, or even apostatized/notarized can you think of any other documents of Olya's that in this process I will need to get apostatized/notarized/translated?

Edited by Robert & Olya

Роберт и Оля

1st meeting March 2009

met Mama March 2009

2nd meeting June 2009

3rd meeting August 2009

NOA2 April 13

5th Meeting June 2010

Medical Exam July 1

6th meeting --- October 31, 2010 Finished my contract in Iraq and head to Russia so as that we all (myself, Olga and her son Igor) can travel together to America

Timeline

Actually the process in a few of the countries you mentioned is VERY different once you get to the interview stage--- hence the various regional forums.

Even in this forum there are some differences -- permission from the father for example. In Kiev, it is my understanding that you must show this in order to receive the visa. In Moscow, you can receive the visa without it, but the child might not be allowed to leave the country.

Just so you'll know a little of my background -- I went through the K-1 process back in 2003/04. She also had a son who we obtained a K-2 visa for. That marriage ended in divorce and I am now starting to go through the K-1 process again.

It's great that the "feelers" to the ex have been positive so far, but don't be too surprised of that changes as the process goes on. The first time that I went through the process everything also started out very positive and he was very cooperative. Once the time for the interview grew near and he began to realize the power he could exert, well... his attitude changed. Basically, we ended up having to buy his signature. Unfortunately, that story is a little too common in this process. Hopefully things will go smoothly for you and your fiancee..... but do be prepared just in case.

It's great that you've saved the boarding passes, etc. As for receipts to museums, etc -- personally, I'd keep them for the family scrapbook but there's no need to submit them with the I-129F application. Two ticket stubs from the Hermitage, for example, proves that two people visited that museum---- does it prove that you and your fiancee visited the museum? NO. Now, if you combine those ticket stubs with one or two photos of you and the fiancee at the museum together, then it has a little more value as evidence and you might consider submitting it. Again, this is an area where many people go WAY overboard. Basically, all USCIS wants to know at this point is that you've met. And then they'll want some evidence of a genuine relationship-- e-mails, cards, phone logs, chat logs, etc.

As for other documents to get translated, etc. -- simply try to think of all of the documents that she and he will need to begin a life here. Translations of her college transcripts can be helpful, as Brad mentioned. However, keep in mind that when it comes time to actually do the transcript/educational evaluations many (if not most) agencies will want to receive those documents directly from the institutions that issued them. But, translations of his school records could be helpful in order to enroll him in school here. Translations of vaccination records can be helpful. If either of them have had any MAJOR medical issues in the past, then getting copies and translations of the relevant files could also be helpful. A translation of her first marriage certificate ---- something you might never be asked for, but doesn't hurt to have it... just in case.

Just curious-- what part of Russia is your fiancee from?

As for other documents to get translated, etc. -- simply try to think of all of the documents that she and he will need to begin a life here. Translations of her college transcripts can be helpful, as Brad mentioned. However, keep in mind that when it comes time to actually do the transcript/educational evaluations many (if not most) agencies will want to receive those documents directly from the institutions that issued them. But, translations of his school records could be helpful in order to enroll him in school here. Translations of vaccination records can be helpful. If either of them have had any MAJOR medical issues in the past, then getting copies and translations of the relevant files could also be helpful. A translation of her first marriage certificate ---- something you might never be asked for, but doesn't hurt to have it... just in case.

There is a service (in NY I believe) that does the lion's share of the credit and degree evaluations for foreign transfer students in America. This doesn't determine transfer credit for the specific college or program, but just renders an opinion on the validity and application of the degree granted, and the classes taken. It gives the colleges a baseline for transfer evaluation I think, and also certifies the degree. For example, Vika has a degree in economics, and a graduate degree. Apparently it equates to an accounting degree here, but we don't know what exactly. Most of the programs in Eastern Europe are not liberal arts based, and the terminology is different. For example the term "scientific study" may refer only to a review and regurgitation of the latest literature on a subject.

If you (the OP) are interested, I believe Gary (Gary and Alla) recently went through this.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

We also went through education credential evaluation with a couple of different agencies. When it is time to do it, there are a number of people on this site who can give advice. WES is the agency that is probably most commonly recommended by those who are having FSU documents evaluated.

But this is one area where I would advise the OP not to get too far ahead of himself; especially since he hasn't made any mention of university transcripts or of his fiancee having any desire to continue her education in the US or to work in a field which would require any credential evaluations.

Many colleges, universities and employers will set their own guidelines and procedures on where and how to have these evaluations done. Some universities will do the evaluations themselves without using any outside agency. Many will say it simply needs to be "an accredited agency", others will name one or two specific agencies that MUST do the evaluation for them.

But for now, I would advise the OP to try to stay focused on the K-1 process. I know that occasionally the mind starts to wander and wonder about things that you'll have to deal with in the future. Let's get the visa process started first.... and then we can start worrying about the rest of your lives! :) You'll have PLENTY of time to worry about this (and MANY other things) while you're waiting for your NOA2! :yes:

We also went through education credential evaluation with a couple of different agencies. When it is time to do it, there are a number of people on this site who can give advice. WES is the agency that is probably most commonly recommended by those who are having FSU documents evaluated.

But this is one area where I would advise the OP not to get too far ahead of himself; especially since he hasn't made any mention of university transcripts or of his fiancee having any desire to continue her education in the US or to work in a field which would require any credential evaluations.

Many colleges, universities and employers will set their own guidelines and procedures on where and how to have these evaluations done. Some universities will do the evaluations themselves without using any outside agency. Many will say it simply needs to be "an accredited agency", others will name one or two specific agencies that MUST do the evaluation for them.

But for now, I would advise the OP to try to stay focused on the K-1 process. I know that occasionally the mind starts to wander and wonder about things that you'll have to deal with in the future. Let's get the visa process started first.... and then we can start worrying about the rest of your lives! :) You'll have PLENTY of time to worry about this (and MANY other things) while you're waiting for your NOA2! :yes:

My two cents.

First the receipts arent necessary, believe me we had a bunch too. They are definitely more concerned with proof of conversations, emails, text messages etc.

As far as the evaluation goes, hold off until things get settled. My wife is a licensed dentist, after she gets here, have fun exploring and showing her the sights. When things calm down then start thinking about the education. Pick the university you wife would like to attend, find out what their requirements are then your wife will need to take a TOEFL exam(Test of english as a foreign language) these are required by every accredited university in the US, her transcripts will need to be evaluated by ECE(most university go with them). Then you can fill out applications and get the transcripts sent wherever. Take some time you will be filling out marriage licenses, AOS paperwork and all that stuff. Set the education to the side and enjoy each other first.

My advice get yourself a nice Camo apron and do some barbecueing, and for gosh sakes get a gun and eat some pie.

Welcome we are here if you need us, some of us are just more here than others.

Edited by Thomas-n-Elena

Thom n Elena

Finally Home

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

ROC

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Reschedule 7/22/09

LPR Card Received

Timeline

Thanks to all again,

My fiance is from a city called "Kaluga" about 2-2.5 hour car ride "west & south" of Moscow.

Education and a credidation ---- we will take it slow on this Olya does want to work and wants to feel that she is contributing to the family but what is most important in the beginning for us is helping Igor (9 years old) to adjust to school and the new enviroment. Olya is 38 so it has been many years since her university days and not sure how much of this would even transfer, but you all bring up a point I have not thought of.

right now I am feeling a "little bit" overwhelmed with just trying to figure out all we will need (evidence) and worried with filling the forms out properly. But I am certain it is because this K1 biz is "new" to me and just wanting to get all of this correct. That for right now to even think about school and getting Universty acredidation and evalution is kinda setting my head spinning. This maybe be the wrong way to think (not preparing properly for the future) but thinking I need to "digest" the evidence and filing and step 1 before I jump into step 2

But I did ask for advice on any and all documents that would possible be good to get translated, So this is my own fault and not anyone else's for getting my head to start spinning

on the subject of school--- for Igor; being 9 I also did not think about school records for him. Question, not for the K1 but for school in America, these records would be of a benefit for the local (US) schools?

when we IM (instant message) we use ICQ, I do not see on ICQ anywhere it "logs" our conversations, so do not believe I can provide any evidence from this. (I know everyone will say "why are you not using Skype?), first because Olya was not even aware of Skype we when first started tp commincate and she had ICQ (I even have not loaded Skype on my computer). Now the reason is, she has no "webcam" and her computer speakers do not work (hopefully in August, I can remidy this, but if it means spending money (fixing her computer/speakers), she will absolutely refuse this and will say "WHY spend money? ICQ has been working good".

I have every email that we have ever exchanged, 4 folders full already of just her letters to me, we write daily letters (8 months worth) and I have "logs" of our "text messages" and "phone conversations". We have both sent packages to each other so I do have the "mailing slips/address labels" for these US and Russian shipments. Photos of course we have, and of course we will continue to take more. Our first meeting we have photos together but none really in front of any "landmarks". on our second meeting we do have some of these (in front of recognizeable landmarks) and this upcoming meeting we will take some more

I have the apron for the barbaque, and enjoy pie :thumbs: but not a gun guy (sorry)

Роберт и Оля

1st meeting March 2009

met Mama March 2009

2nd meeting June 2009

3rd meeting August 2009

NOA2 April 13

5th Meeting June 2010

Medical Exam July 1

Timeline

Ahhh yes---I'm very familiar with Kaluga. I've been there quite a few times.

I certainly understand about feeling overwhelmed at the moment. But the best thing you can do at this point is simply relax. The Visa Journey can be a long and sometimes frustrating one, but unless you have some unusual circumstances there is nothing about it that is particularly difficult or complicated. At this point, simply follow the instructions on the I-129F and you'll be fine. Avoid the temptation to "over-do" or "over-think" the process. Simply give them the information that they ask for.

As for ICQ.... honestly I haven't really used it in years. I used it quite a bit many years ago (I still have my 5 digit User ID :o ) I know that you can get a message history in the current version of ICQ. I also know that in earlier versons of ICQ I was able to easily create chat logs, but I'm not sure about the recent versions. Maybe someone else here can help you with that.

I understand about her not being able to use Skype. One other alternative would be to use Agent. Agent is the ICQ-type chat program related to the mail.ru website. It is similar to ICQ, but I like its interface and options much better. It is also easy to log your chats using that program and it can also be used for audio and video calls just like Skype when your fiancee has the capability.

But it sounds like you already have more than enough evidence to submit with the I-129F. Again, at this point they just want evidence that you've met and that you have a relationship. Boarding passes, copies of the visas, and a few photos together are sufficient. All the rest of it she can take with her to the Embassy when it is time for her interview and have it ready to submit if they want any additional evidence of a relationship.

As for Igor's school records --- copies and translations might be helpful.... and they might not. At his young age, it's not going to be as important as it would be if he were older (high school aged, for example). It's really going to depend on the school. Some schools will simply place him in an "age-appropriate" grade and never look at his Russian school records. Some schools will be willing to look at those records to distinguish between grades--- whether to place him in 3rd grade or 4th grade. He almost certainly will be tested to determine his English proficiency and whether he can be placed in the mainstream classes or whether he'll need to be in an ESL program, and if so, perhaps to determine what type of program. For example, for our step-son Vitaly, the school offered a FULL ESL program where ALL classes were conducted as part of the ESL program, or a modified ESL program where many classes such as math or science classes were taken as mainstream classes-- the student simply took an ESL English and/or Reading class to help bolster their language skills. Vitaly was 11 when he began school here and his English skills were good enough that he was only in the modified program for one year and then was fully in the mainstream program.

But again the main advice is--- RELAX! Take it slow, simply read the directions on the forms, and enjoy being able to spend an entire month with your lovely fiancee! :dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.