mandixon

Landed in JFK after 10 months of absence from the US and with a Conditional Green Card still valid for a day only.

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
:lol: Edited by jundp

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
I never really understand why people don't want US citizenship unless their home country does not recognize it. I'd get it just for the ease of travel, imagine you can home for 6 years and then come back to the US no questions asked.

My husband dose not plan to go for citizenship. There are many reasons why someone might not want to. His family owns farm land and if he becomes a USC than he has absolutely no rights to it at all and is not allowed to purchase agricultural land. So he is going for permanent residency.

Is this because India recognizes the ceremony in the US where you "renounce" your former citizenship? I'm just curious really as I only know about the UK on this. The UK government does not recognize the oath and therefore its possible to keep both.

Timeline
I never really understand why people don't want US citizenship unless their home country does not recognize it. I'd get it just for the ease of travel, imagine you can home for 6 years and then come back to the US no questions asked.

My husband dose not plan to go for citizenship. There are many reasons why someone might not want to. His family owns farm land and if he becomes a USC than he has absolutely no rights to it at all and is not allowed to purchase agricultural land. So he is going for permanent residency.

Is this because India recognizes the ceremony in the US where you "renounce" your former citizenship?

The reason my husband won't go for USC is this. In order to obtain USC he would first have to receive approval from the German government. It's possible to do so. Otherwise he would be renouncing his German citizenship. Aside from that, he has serious ethical issues stating an oath which requires him to abandon his citizenship of birth. I fully respect that. We can live forever in the US together with him as an LPR. We can return to Germany, file the correct paperwork, and still be allowed to return to the US. It might be easier to get his USC, but not everyone wants it.

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

3600rs, my real home is not Israel, I'm not sure where you got that from.

To those who say I haven't studied in the US....I've paid more than 50K towards my American Education and my BS degree is from the USA, as will be my phD.

Again, for those who don't understand, I'm not against leaving the US for periods of time, no I don't think one should wear a ankle bracelet, but I think that many people get around the rules of a GC. That's not it's true purpose.

Timeline
Again, for those who don't understand, I'm not against leaving the US for periods of time, no I don't think one should wear a ankle bracelet, but I think that many people get around the rules of a GC. That's not it's true purpose.

I find your posts to be not only inflammatory, but misinformed and judgmental. The OP has done everything legally. He and his wife are both studying in Egypt and want to return to the US together. What is so difficult to understand or accept about that? The purpose of the GC is to allow a non-USC to live and work (or study) in the US. If his graduate program is jointly through an American and an Egyptian university, it makes sense for him to study in BOTH the US and Egypt. He doesn't want to become a USC, but he does want the ability to live in America with his wife.

penguinpasscanada.jpg

lancer, in relation to your confusion as to why people wouldnt want citizenship my answer is that it is specific to each person's situation.

For me personally I take issue with having to renounce my UK citizenship and loyalty. I haven't lived in the UK for many years but don't feel good about saying under oath that I renounce my loyalty to that country. It is where I was born and grew up, end of story. People will disagree and that is their right to do so. Neither they or I are right or wrong. We are simply doing what feels right for each of us. I wouldnt for a second disagree with someone wanting to become a USC, that is their decision.

Secondly, my wife and I do plan to move elsewhere in maybe 10-20 years and my financial position leans me away from becoming a USC with all of the connotations it brings apropos being taxed on global income. Anyone with significant international or investment income, or real estate abroad needs to think carefully about what being a USC means.

Before the usual suspect responds that I am leeching off the US and then planning to leave, I am paying a TON in taxes each year whilst here...

This is not a decision I have taken lightly and in no way means I think less of the US or am being disloyal to the US.

Paul

===Edit===

I just noticed your comment above about the UK Gov't not recognizing the oath and therefore you can keep both. Be a little careful if you do have international income as being a USC STILL has implications. Arguing that you are also a UK citizen will fall on deaf ears and they will simply say, well you took the oath.

Edited by wexford65

AOS Application

AOS posted 5/30/2007

AOS arrived in Chicago 6/1/2007

NOA1 rcvd 6/11/2007, dated 6/6/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/10/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/11/2007

Rcvd AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. letter 6/19/2007

I130/EAD/AP touched 6/24/2007

AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/9/2007

AP touched 8/14/2007

AP touched 8/15/2007

AP touched 8/16/2007

EAD approved 8/20 EAD Approved

Rcvd AP in post 8/22/2007 AP Approved

AOS Interview 9/26/2007

AOS Approved 9/26/2007

I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence

I-751 mailed 07/06/09

I-751 arrived VSC 07/07/09

NOA1 dated 07/07/09

Biometrics 08/13/0

I-751 Approval 12/10/09 I-751 Approved

Timeline

To those who say I haven't studied in the US....I've paid more than 50K towards my American Education and my BS degree is from the USA, as will be my phD.

lol, I think they are just joking with you

Timeline
For me personally I take issue with having to renounce my UK citizenship and loyalty. I haven't lived in the UK for many years but don't feel good about saying under oath that I renounce my loyalty to that country. It is where I was born and grew up, end of story.

Exactly the way many people feel about remaining LPRs instead of becoming a USC, I think.

penguinpasscanada.jpg

Timeline

Thats cool, I didn't realize that people would get so hung up on the oath. I see them as just words.

I was originally thinking of becoming a UK citizen and I admit swearing loyalty to the queen would have been really really hard to say but I would have been willing to do it for a UK passport. To each their own I say.

"To each their own I say."

Totally agree! :thumbs:

Indeed they are just words but for each of us our wedding vows were 'just words'! :wacko:

"I was originally thinking of becoming a UK citizen and I admit swearing loyalty to the queen would have been really really hard to say but I would have been willing to do it for a UK passport"

I will sidestep that taunt, too easy. I think you will find UK citizens are generally as proud of the UK as any other citizen of their respective country. Why saying you would be loyal to the UK is difficult is beyond me though if as you posted above they are just words?? :blink:

AOS Application

AOS posted 5/30/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/9/2007

AP touched 8/14/2007

AP touched 8/15/2007

AP touched 8/16/2007

AOS Interview 9/26/2007

AOS Approved 9/26/2007

I-751 mailed 07/06/09

NOA1 dated 07/07/09

Biometrics 08/13/0

Filed: Timeline
That's not it's true purpose.

Shouldn't it be, 'That's not its true purpose'? ;)

All kidding aside, and back on topic, what I'd like to inform msdelila is that the statutes permit a Permanent Resident to leave the country, and for large slugs of time, as long as he/she maintains the USA as his/her permanent country of residence. It's not for us, or USCIS, CBP or DHS to determine what we do with our time, or where we choose to spend it, unless in doing so we fail to preserve the US as our permanent residence. As far as I can see, the OP is not violating any statute.

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline
"To each their own I say."

Totally agree! :thumbs:

Indeed they are just words but for each of us our wedding vows were 'just words'! :wacko:

"I was originally thinking of becoming a UK citizen and I admit swearing loyalty to the queen would have been really really hard to say but I would have been willing to do it for a UK passport"

I will sidestep that taunt, too easy. I think you will find UK citizens are generally as proud of the UK as any other citizen of their respective country. Why saying you would be loyal to the UK is difficult is beyond me though if as you posted above they are just words?? :blink:

Oops sorry that wasn't supposed to be a taunt, I was being serious. And its just the queen thing...its hard to say that part... I would have no problems saying I would be loyal to the UK.

Gotcha, no problem :thumbs:

AOS Application

AOS posted 5/30/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/9/2007

AP touched 8/14/2007

AP touched 8/15/2007

AP touched 8/16/2007

AOS Interview 9/26/2007

AOS Approved 9/26/2007

I-751 mailed 07/06/09

NOA1 dated 07/07/09

Biometrics 08/13/0

Filed: Timeline

Where ever maybe your REAL home, your NOT Native American ;)

Getting all the US Phd's and paying your own tuition does not make you more American, you are from the place you came.

People are FREE to leave for as much time they need even during the green card as long as they are in the limits set by USCIS. True purpose is determined by the CIS, and there are rules in place. And no one gets around the rules. When you become a citizen it means the rules of the GC have been satisfied. period! If you don't have any interest in your home country during the time of your GC that's understandable, but don't attack others who have long term interests or commitments in their home countries. Remember they still are within the rules of the GC.

Thanks mermaid :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.