Arabella

Which date do you celebrate?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This confusion is one of the many reasons I decided not to have two seperate "weddings" on two seperate dates. It just didn't appeal to me. Actually, we are getting married on our dating anniversary to make matters more simple... besides the sentimental value of the day. Personally, I would use the day of the legal wedding, simply because thats is the day you were technically married before the law, and that is the day that will show up in documents...

Timeline

I always say whichever falls closest to the weekend.. :whistle:

But it is confusing for our friends.. they always want us to pick a day to celebrate..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

We did not tell anyone about our legal courthouse wedding which was on Valentine's Day - it was just to get the ball rolling on our immigration stuff (not to downgrade the importance of marriage) and although it ment something to us we didn't tell anyone we were married after that. We did get dressed up and go on a special date/dinner afterwards up the CN tower, but it was just for us.

All our friends and family were invited to and know about the formal wedding which we had 8 months afterwards and so that is the date we celebrate and make a fuss over. It was the day we said vows we wrote and got emotional and to me that day will be our wedding day. The only time we have to remember the other date is when it's on forms and stuff.

We do celebrate both - just one we celebrate openly with everyone and the other is more our own private celebration. If I was getting a date engraved I would get the formal date when we exchanged our "real" rings and said vows. But then again, why not get both???

***Naturalization ***

Submitted N-400: Dec 30, 2015
USPS Delivery Confirmation:
Direct Debit processed: Jan 5, 2015
NOA: Jan 9, 2015
Biometrics Appointment: Jan 28, 2015
Interview: May 7, 2015
Oath Ceremony: still waiting

We celebrate both. We first got married by a JOP on Valentine's Day 2007. When we celebrate, it is a combo anniversary - V Day. Hubby considers that the real anniversary date and more significant than our church ceremony on April 21 2007. I consider that one the more significant date and we celebrate it too. Usually for one anniversary, we will go out and the other, we will have a nice dinner in.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Timeline

My memories of our court house wedding wasn't very nice... my MIL (WONDERFUL GREAT MIL) was mad that we laughed through our vows.. so what. Doesn't mean we don't love each other, we found the fact that our judge was dressed as uncle sam to be quite hilarious. I was wearing mickey mouse ears and he wore this plastic army hat. We thought we were being funny. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sprailenes I totally love that you were dressed up! Your courthouse ceremony was on Halloween or close to it wasn't it?

I have great memories of both of our ceremonies, but like other couples here we celebrate the courthouse date privately and the formal one with the rest of our families.

I will say though that we didn't have to have witnesses for our courthouse ceremonies so it was just us and the judge in his office. It was about 5 minutes long and I totally cried! :) I shed one tiny tear at our formal wedding and that was about it! It was very unexpected, that's for sure, but such a special memory.

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Timeline

Yep it was on Halloween.. we thought it would be a fun way to do it.

We got our 'costumes' that day out of the clearance bin at the costume store, it was great! But we couldn't stop laughing. :lol:

Omg at the formal wedding when I was getting my hair done at the salon, my stylist put on the veil and I broke down and started bawling! :lol:

I teared up during my walk down the aisle but regained my composure when the talking began.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.