JaJo08

Visiting and no employer letter...other options?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello All-

My wife and I were married last week in Southern California and I will be going to visit her here in the next couple weeks. We have begun assembling our I-130 package for a CR-1 visa but have not sent it off just yet as we are still waiting for some of the items.

I've been to visit already 4 times since December of 08. Since I will be coming again soon and the border guard actually commented last time that I've been coming up a lot, I'm trying to anticipate what things I can bring to show my ties to the US other than my return ticket.

I know most people bring the letter from their employer but I already work 100% remote from my employer from my home or where ever I am so asking for a letter is pointless. Each time I go visit, I'm able to stay longer periods (2-3 weeks) since I telecommute and work while I'm there. I don't have much vacation time left so I've been doing it this way and working normal hours when I'm up in Canada. Plus this allows us to have some real time together as opposed to just a few days.

What other things can I bring to show my ties to the US? I have an apt lease, car lease, utility bills, student loans, and even mortgages for rental properties. Is this sufficient or are there other things I can bring?

thanks so much!

Jason

Married July 5th, 2009, Laguna Beach, CA

USCIS:

I-130 package sent - 8/14/2009

NOA1 (hardcopy) - 8/25/2009

NOA2 (hardcopy)- 9/24/2009

NVC:

NVC Received : 10/7/2009

Pay AOS Bill : 10/26/2009

OPTED IN for EP/Submitted DS-3032: 10/27/2009

Confirmation of EP Returned: 11/10/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 11/10/2009

Receive IV Bill : 11/13/2009

Pay IV Bill : 12/27/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 12/29/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 1/13/2010

Medical in Montreal : 4/12/2010 passed!

Interview in Montreal: 4/15/2010 passed!

POE at Coutts/Sweetgrass MT: around 5/8/2010

Timeline

Wow, they actually commented on that? When I was visiting my husband (then fiancee) in Canada, I was going every weekend to every-other weekend and never once had any issues. Weird!

I would say bring your apartment lease, utility bills, things of that nature.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Canada officers will also base your possible enty on the amount of funds you have available to you to support your desired length of stay in Canada. Evidence such as bank statements, cash on hand, credit cards etc.

Timeline

Yes, they actually did comment on that. I guess not a lot of people fly into Edmonton from the states very often?

They let me in pretty much hassle free, but the fact that he did comment made me wonder. When you say available funds, what exactly is sufficient? I may only go out with around $1000 in my account, but I'll receive pay checks from my job every Friday as direct deposit so more money will become available while I'm there. I guess the statement will show the incoming deposits for any given time period.

Edited by JaJo08

Married July 5th, 2009, Laguna Beach, CA

USCIS:

I-130 package sent - 8/14/2009

NOA1 (hardcopy) - 8/25/2009

NOA2 (hardcopy)- 9/24/2009

NVC:

NVC Received : 10/7/2009

Pay AOS Bill : 10/26/2009

OPTED IN for EP/Submitted DS-3032: 10/27/2009

Confirmation of EP Returned: 11/10/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 11/10/2009

Receive IV Bill : 11/13/2009

Pay IV Bill : 12/27/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 12/29/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 1/13/2010

Medical in Montreal : 4/12/2010 passed!

Interview in Montreal: 4/15/2010 passed!

POE at Coutts/Sweetgrass MT: around 5/8/2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are spending relatively short periods of time in the US and have established a pattern of returning. If questioned you can let them know that you are in the process of applying for the CR-1 and have no intention of jeopardizing your lives together by staying in the US at this time. If you were staying for months you would probably have problems, but you should be alright for shorter visits. Certainly you can acknowledge to them that you are crossing often - I used to cross almost every weekend when I had an American boyfriend (before I met my husband) and they commented - but the visits were for short periods of time and I always returned. They had no problems with that. Have your evidence documents with you and good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
You are spending relatively short periods of time in the US and have established a pattern of returning. If questioned you can let them know that you are in the process of applying for the CR-1 and have no intention of jeopardizing your lives together by staying in the US at this time. If you were staying for months you would probably have problems, but you should be alright for shorter visits. Certainly you can acknowledge to them that you are crossing often - I used to cross almost every weekend when I had an American boyfriend (before I met my husband) and they commented - but the visits were for short periods of time and I always returned. They had no problems with that. Have your evidence documents with you and good luck.

He's the USC. :P

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

ah, hehehe ok

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Throughout all the years Gene flew to Canada from the US, the worst POE's were for him Edmonton and Saskatoon. He always got pulled into secondary. I think you have enough evidence even to satisfy them.

Congratulations on your recent marriage! (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.