giraffemd

It should all be this easy!!!

6 posts in this topic

So my passport was expiring in sept, so when I was in Canada, I got my pics, had my guarantor (Daughter-in-law) sign for me (I was changing to my married name, so could not file with the short form). I sent it in the form on June 24, and received my new passport today in the mail....hmmm....wish it was all that fast and simple.

Now will start naturalization....wish me luck

AOS, EAD, AP, filed on Feb 8, 2006

NOA received Feb 18, 2006

Biometrics done on Apr 21, at St. Paul office..wait some more......

Touched on April 24 and 28

email aproval for AP on May 1

email approval for EAD on May 3

received AP on May 3

received EAD in mail on May 8

start work of June 1

AOS interview in Bloomington on July 19 8am

AOS approved,passport stamped on July 19

as of Dec 10, 2006 still no greencard....waiting and waiting....USCIS says we are approved, and check back in 60 days...no idea what is happening

Dec 18, email stating welcome letter is in the mail

Dec 20, 5 emails saying they ordered production of my new card......

Dec 24...welcome to America letter in the snail mail

Dec 26...GC in hand and all is correct...

NOTE TO SELF..file to lift conditions 04/19/08

04/22/08 filed to lift conditions

05/01/08 package returned wrong form

05/05/08 re-submitted right form to california

05/09/08 cheque cashed

05/13/08 NOA

05/19/08 appointment letter for biometrics received..appointment on 05/28/08 at 11 am at USCIS St. Paul

05/28/08 took my two appointment letters and had my fingerprints done

11/13/08 touched and email stating card production ordered and will be sent to me in 30 days

11/21/08 GC in hand no mistakes expires 11/13/18

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, the Canadian passport is processed pretty quickly.:-) They even deliver them by courier if you are in the US.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

yep, I was surprised how quick/painless it was even from the USA! I sent mine from VA, just regular old snail mail, and only took a few weeks!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
yep, I was surprised how quick/painless it was even from the USA! I sent mine from VA, just regular old snail mail, and only took a few weeks!

Damn, it used to be such a pain in the #### to get the passport from inside the US. It was hard to meet the guarntor thing here and getting people in Canada that remembered me to sign was just as hard. Last time my dad had to ask someone at his church if they could do it since he was a freaking vet. The guy knew me when I was a little kid and that was it. Without my parents I would never have gotten a new passport.

Good to know it's made easier nowdays, not sure how long is left on mine, but doubt I'll bother to renew it...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Damn, it used to be such a pain in the #### to get the passport from inside the US. It was hard to meet the guarntor thing here and getting people in Canada that remembered me to sign was just as hard. Last time my dad had to ask someone at his church if they could do it since he was a freaking vet. The guy knew me when I was a little kid and that was it. Without my parents I would never have gotten a new passport.

Good to know it's made easier nowdays, not sure how long is left on mine, but doubt I'll bother to renew it...

its only easy if ur current passport is NOT expired, totally different ballgame if it is!! I belive eventually they are coming out with a 10 yr passport!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Giraffemd (and Everyone),

Congratulations on getting your Canadian passport right away! Yes, it usually takes about 2 weeks or so to receive such in the mail, and is relatively quick and easy to apply for such (which I did recently in February in-person and got it in the mail 2 weeks later)

Lol...the only things I would complain about with the Canadian passport is:

-What's the deal with the guarrantor and two references? Lol..I had such a hard time finding people that meets those qualifications and would actually agree to such! And all for what, a married name change? Isn't a marriage certificate good enough to renew a passport to a married name? So why can't those who change their names use the simplified form to renew their Canadian passport instead of having to deal with this extra guarrantor and references stuff? On the bright side, the next time you renew your passport, in 5 years, you can use the short form instead...

-What's the deal with a 5yr passport instead of a 10yr one? Most countries issue 10 year passports (such as the USA) versus Canada that issues 5 year passports for the same amount of money ($100). Seems as though we're getting ripped off here!

-What's the deal with Canadians not having the option of getting a passport card instead of a passport book? It would be so much more convenient and less costly to have that option too, especially if a person does frequent land border crossing and would likely carry that in their wallet a lot of the time instead of having to worry about forgetting it at home....

Oh well, I can't complain too much though. At least I have a valid (Canadian) passport now, which is needed for travel purposes, especially with the stricter border crossing rules now.

Lol..now, if only I can get my USC husband to get a US passport...lol......

Good luck with your naturalization application too. (what a co-incidence, at that stage too)

By the way, you can check out the following helpful VJ boards and topics when you are filing for such:

-US Citizenship General Discussion:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=114

-Canadians for US Naturalization/Citizenship:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206763

Ant

So my passport was expiring in sept, so when I was in Canada, I got my pics, had my guarantor (Daughter-in-law) sign for me (I was changing to my married name, so could not file with the short form). I sent it in the form on June 24, and received my new passport today in the mail....hmmm....wish it was all that fast and simple.

Now will start naturalization....wish me luck

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.