UmmSqueakster

Ramadan 2009

321 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When I was pregnant I did not fast. I had a really tough pregnancy and lost a lot of weight and the doctor had me on a very strict "eating" diet! My husband swears his sisters fasted (his elderly ill mother also fasts which I think is less than safe). But ultimately I knew my body couldn't handle it and I was too worried about my baby by that time to think about it!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yup, although I have no personal experience (yet) with fasting while pregnant, everything I've read says to consult a doctor, and if you fear harm, then don't fast.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=...7&CATE=1610

http://www.islamonline.net/livedialogue/en...hGuestID=6rRtzY

http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa/engli...hGuestID=Nz8efZ

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

as always, you're just plain awesome girl!

Yup, although I have no personal experience (yet) with fasting while pregnant, everything I've read says to consult a doctor, and if you fear harm, then don't fast.

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

there is a direct connection between dehydration and pre-term labor contractions. when pregnant women don't get enough fluids, their blood becomes too hemo-concentrated, or not dilute enough. the high concentration of circulating hormones can stimulate the uterus to start contracting, and even have cervical opening with those contractions. after being hospitalized 3 different times for this with my first baby and having to get I.V. fluids all 3 times, with the second baby i was never separated from my water bottle, and never had a single problem. some women might have an easier time of it than me, some have it much,much harder. if pregnant women feel like they can fast, they need to have detailed conversations with their OB in my opinion. not so their dr. can talk them out of it, but so they can give them a list of specific things to be watching for with their bodies and fetal movements, etc. lots of women do just fine, others don't. from what i've read, the safety of women and their babies is of the greatest importance though, fiqh wise. here's another opinion too.

Fiqh of Fasting

The Old, The Pregnant, And The Breast Feeding Not Fasting

QUESTION: Is it permissible for an old man to eat during Ramadhaan, and what does he have to do if he does? And is it permissible for a pregnant women not to fast in Ramadhaan because she fears that the fetus might die? What does she have to do? And is it permissible to use scented oils during the month of Ramadhaan?

Answer by Sheikh Yussuf Al-Qaradawi:

For the first question, I answer by saying that it is permissible for an older man, or of course an older woman, not to fast in Ramadhaan if siyaam would be a big struggle for them or it would be an overbearing difficulty. The same goes for the sick who have no hope in being healed from their sickness. One who has a chronic illness, which the doctors have difficulty finding a cure for or it has been with him for a long time, is permitted for him not to fast. If any of these people choose to eat then they have to give a ransom, which is the feeding of a needy person for each day. This is an allowance and easement from Allah. He Allah said: “Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you difficulty.” (2:185)

Ibn Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him, said: “It is allowed for the old man not to fast. For each day, he is to feed a poor person, and he does not have to make up the fast.” (Collected by Ad- Daaraqutnee and A]Haakem declared it authentic). Something similar to this was collected by Al- Bukhari that the saying of Allah was sent down concerning the old man and people like him: “And those who are unable have to feed a poor person. But whosoever does good of his own accord, it is better for him.” (2:184)

Which means that whenever someone feeds more than one poor person then this is better for him and will have an ever-lasting reward with Allah. So for the elderly man, elderly woman, and the sick who do not expect recovery from their sickness, they are not to fast and as charity they are to feed a poor person for each day.

As for the second question, is it okay for a pregnant woman not to fast during RamAdhaan because she fears that the fetus might die? Yes, she is exempted from fasting. Furthermore, if this fear is based on certainty and has been reported by a Muslim doctor who is firm in his religion and field, then it is obligatory upon her not to fast so that fetus does not die. Allah said: “And do not kill your children.” (17:31)

This fetus is a respectable soul, and it is not permissible for a man or a woman to neglect it and cause it to die. Allah never overburdens His worshipers.

It has also come from Ibn Abbas that the pregnant and the women are within the group of: “And those who are unable have to feed a poor person.” (2:184)

And if the pregnant and breast-feeding women fear for themselves, then most of the scholars say that they should not fast and they only have to make it up. In this case they are similar to the sick. But for the pregnant woman who fears for the fetus or the breast-feeding woman who fears for the child, it is unanimously agreed that they are not to fast. The scholars have differed on whether she has to make it up or if she has to just feed a poor person for each day of if she has to do both. The majority of scholars say that she is to make it up, while Ibn Umar and Ibn Abbas say that she is to feed a poor person, and the others say that she is to do both. But it appears to me that it is permissible to feed a poor person instead of making it up, especially with regards to the woman who is constantly pregnant or breastfeeding and would not find a chance to make it up. One year she would be pregnant, the next year she would be breast-feeding, the next she would be pregnant and so on. She would constantly be either pregnant or breast-feeding to the extent that she would not be able to make anything up. And if we burdened her to make up all the days she did not fast because of pregnancy or breast feeding, then that would mean that she would have to fast a number of continuous years after that. This has in it a great hardship and Allah does not wish for His worshipers to be in hardship.

And for the third question about the use of scented oils during the month of Ramadhaan, it is permissible. Nobody has said that using oils during Ramadhaan is unlawful or that it would ruin the siyaarn. And Allah knows best.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/ramadan...qh/fiqh62.shtml

i'm not trying to quibble, but some of the medical advice in the second link made me cringe. i'm no dr, just a lowly nurse, but it just left a lot to be desired. i realize the format with the live dialogues makes it hard to go in-depth and explore those issues more, but i sincerely hope the women who wrote in there had some follow up with other resources besides this conversation they had with this dr.

Edited by chemaatah

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you ladies for your the links and input. Honestly I wasn't planning on fasting at all....I think it's a risk even if the Dr. said it's ok. Now I have to decide if I can make it up or feed a poor man....which I think will be hard since I don't know anyone poor here....can it be any muslim fasting?

lyrics.jpg

Timeline

I didn't fast either while I was pregnant. Although I did try it a couple days while I was breastfeeding and felt faintish. That scared the living day lights outa me, so I quit that with a quickness since I had a little one to take care of. As for making it up, I really don't remember what I did since that was almost 9 years ago. I'm sure I probably gave money to the local masjid or something.

Here are some islamic relief sites that friend sent to me last year, you could give these a try:

www.islamic-relief.com/

www.muslimaid.org/

www.helpinghandonline.org/

Edited by 100% Al Ahly Fan

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline

i'm not trying to quibble, but some of the medical advice in the second link made me cringe. i'm no dr, just a lowly nurse, but it just left a lot to be desired. i realize the format with the live dialogues makes it hard to go in-depth and explore those issues more, but i sincerely hope the women who wrote in there had some follow up with other resources besides this conversation they had with this dr.

Being a legally inclined person with no experience in medicine beyond having to trudge through thousands of pages of medical records for assorted litigation, I don't really have an idea about what would be considered good medical advice. So, in short, talk to your doctor, yes? :thumbs:

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have a question about paying if you can't fast. Umsqueekster gave me a site that said 3.50 per day and the lady at the islamic center told me 7.00 per day. I definatly can't afford 7.00 a day, 3.50 is a bit high but more manageable. Can someone set me straight on this.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Timeline

If one is physically unable to fast and will be physically unable to fast at any point in the future to make it up, they pay a fidyah. The way people calcuate what the fidyah is differs. Classically, it's calculated with assorted amounts of grain. I've also seen it calculated as the price of a meal that you yourself would eat, or the price of 2 meals - one in the morning and one in the evening.

I believe it's usually the same cost as zakatul fitr. I'll check with AbuS, as I've never had to deal with it before.

Why not ask the people at the masjid how they came to that amount?

Also, the price doesn't all have to be paid up front I don't believe. If you can't afford it, divide it up into managable pieces.

irhal.jpg

Timeline

*reminder* There's about a week left until the middle of shaban. The Prophet (saws) used to fast more in this month than any other month aside from Ramadan. He recommended to his companions to fast during this month. If they feared they'd be tired out before Ramadan, then they were to fast before the 15th of the month. If they knew they wouldn't be, then he recommended they fast up until the day or 2 before Ramadan.

The blessed companion Anas (ra) reports that Prophet Muhammad (saws) was asked, "Which fast is the most meritorious after the fasts of Ramadan?" He replied, "Fasts of Shaban in honor of Ramadan."

irhal.jpg

Timeline

Come'on peoples, where's the excitement? Ramadan is a marathon. You can't just get up the morning of the 1st of Ramadan and expect to run a good race. Ya gotta prepare ahead of time!

bananabb2in.gifav-739.gifchewy.gif

Preparing for Ramadan with Halal Tube

Preparing for Ramadan Ahead of Time

How to Prepare for Ramadan

Preparing Kids for Ramadan

I was listening to a lecture by Sh. Husain Abdul Sattar about preparing for Ramadan, and he spoke about the importance of preparing and scheduling for the month. We often schedule out our iftars - gotta go to this iftar party and that iftar party - but how often do we schedule out our time for Allah (swt)?

Think about what you want to accomplish this Ramadan, and then work out a schedule to achive it! Sure, have fun at the iftar parties, but spend more time focusing on knowing Allah (swt).

irhal.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Think about what you want to accomplish this Ramadan, and then work out a schedule to achive it! Sure, have fun at the iftar parties, but spend more time focusing on knowing Allah (swt).

The only thing I'm hoping to focus on this Ramadan is not passing out in the heat, unfortunately.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.