Ramadan 2009

321 posts in this topic

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

ohhh i get nervous when i read ' jackie said...' :P

I start a few weeks before Ramadan starts in the shrinking process by eating smaller portion meals and stretching out the times I eat.

Having easy to eat food ALREADY in the house is kinda important. I have broken wayyy too many fasts at McDonalds drive-thru alone. Keep the suggestions coming for our new sisters :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Start practice fasting now! It used to be not so bad, when maghrib was at 4:30, just like skipping lunch. Right now, maghrib is at 9 pm :blink: I used to not take naps while fasting, but this summer, it's almost been a necessity, especially if I've spent time outside.

*Baby fast. Start by going until 11 am. Then 11:30. Then noon. Then 12:30, etc etc etc. Work your way up slowly.

*Experiment with assorted foods for suhoor (the meal before fasting). Figure out what works well for your stomach, and what keeps you going throughout the day.

*Reduce/Eliminate coffee now! As one of my friends recently attested to, getting rid of coffee before you start fasting can help reduce fasting headaches.

*Don't gorge yourself at iftar (meal to break the fast). Eat a good portion of fruits and veggies. Fried and fatty foods are standard at iftars, but try to avoid most of them.

*Drink lots of water! As soon as you break your fast, drink at least a glass. Try to drink 3 or 4 glasses before you go to bed. And when you get up in the morning for suhoor, drink another 3 or 4 more.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

*Whenever possible, break your fast with dates. Not only is it a sunnah of our beloved RasulAllah (saws), it provides a shot of quick energy in the form of sugar. It perks you up, so you can get nutrition in you and continue on through isha and possibly taraweeh.

*Look to eat complex carbohydrates for suhoor. Oats, lentils, whole grain breads all stick in your stomach longer. Along that same line, avoid simple carbs like sugar, because your body will burn through them more quickly and leave you hungrier sooner

*If you must have soda/tea/coffee for iftar, make sure you drink an equal amount of water and/or juice. All too often, I only see soda served at masjid iftars.

*If you feel things are too hard, do something to distract yourself. For example, every time you feel hungry or thirsty, thank Allah (swt) that He has blessed you with enough food and water to normally partake whenever you want. There are people in this world who don't have that option.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Harira

allreceipes.com...put in Ramadan and you can see what comes up :)

I have a great recipe for Harira. It's from my husband's mother and it doesn't include lentils. I keep seeing those recipes all over. There are a ton of variations of Harira out there but if anyone is interested, I'll have my husband help translate the recipe for me tonight and I can e-mail it to anyone who would like it!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
This year is John's first Ramadan and we are so excited! :D He has been reading a lot lately and we are having a lot of enjoyable discussions. He actually fasted a few times before on Mondays and Thursdays and did really good alhamdulillah. A few days ago I sent him some really nice Syrian dates with almonds inside instead of the seed that I usually have here every year to break my fast. He likes them a lot. :blush: They are for Ramdan though not to be eaten before that. :P

Ramadan in Egypt in wonderful! Just the way everything feels and smells is indescribable.. I'm sure those of you who have spent Ramadan(s) here know what I am talking about. All the family gatherings, the time right before maghrib, the nights of Ramadan, Dawn time, everything about is amazing...

We usually have yogurt, dates, water, a cheese sandwich during Sohoor.. Usually all the great favorite dishes at iftar and sweets later.. I'm not into sweets though and luckily I don't gain weight during Ramadan.. Oh and we have that habit in my family that there are days that we eat really simple food to feel how the needy and poor feel and be thankful.

Does any of the ladies know where we can find grape leaves in Florida? John won't be able to cook them until I'm there, but we really like to know...

You brought tears to my eyes thinking of ramadan in Egypt but alhamdulillah 3ala kol 7al. I should be excited to try it here with my husband for the very first time living together.

Awww *hugs* I really hope you enjoy your first Ramadan with your husband.. I'm sure you will experience a few more things you haven't here.. And I can't wait when it comes up and you tell me how it feels :) Ramadan is a blessing everywhere!

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well said Rahma mashaAllah :)

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Timeline
Anyhow, I wish I could get Tariq into Ramadan more. He loves the Eid (cause he knows he's getting toys and will do a fun activity) but I want to build excitement about Ramadan, I just don't know how.

These Ramadan calendars are pretty cool - maybe put a little quranic ayah in each pocket along with a piece of chocolate, and when he's read the ayah, he can have the chocolate. Or maybe a trivia question, and once he's gotten the right answer, etc.

cal_pic_web.jpg

Shukran ya Rahma.....this is a great idea! I wish I knew how to use my sewing machine, I would make one of these myself. Anyhow, I think we will try this activity....although, I might just do it using heavy duty construction paper.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline
Thank you ladies!

ugg, but dates? not sure I can stomach those. I will sure give it a shot.

I have NEVER been a date fan. Bad experience as a child in Saudi Arabia.....my grandmother used to literally shove them in my mouth, argh.....

Although it's sunnah to break your fast with dates, I usually just brake my fast with dried apricot or crackers. Hope that helps.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline

Whether you follow calculations or moon sighting, we're now into the month of Shaban. That means one more month until Ramadan :dance:

Sha'ban: Merits, Do's and Dont's

From the article:

The blessed companion Usama ibn Zaid, Radi-Allahu anhu, reports that he asked Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam: "Messenger of Allah,
I have seen you fasting in the month of Sha'ban so frequently that I have never seen you fasting in any other month." Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, replied:
"That (Sha'ban) is a month between Rajab and Ramadan which is neglected by many people
. And it is a month in which an account of the deeds (of human beings) is presented before the Lord of the universe, so, I wish that my deeds be presented at a time when I am in a state of fasting."

2. In another Tradition Sayyidah' Aishah, Radi-Allahu anha, has reported that Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, has said, "Allah Almighty descends (in a manner He best knows it) in the night occurring in the middle of Sha'ban and forgives a large number of people more than the number of the fibers on the sheep of the tribe, Kalb."

Kalb was a big tribe the members of which had a very large number of sheep. Therefore, the last sentence of the
hadith
indicates the big number of the people who are forgiven in this night by Allah Almighty.

irhal.jpg

I'm always excited for Ramadan :dance::dance::dance: Can you tell, lol?

I made harira this weekend, but I wasn't too enamoured with it. I'm sure that it's my fault - I used ground lamb, since I didn't have any lamb chunks, and I think I put too many noodles in. I'll have to try it again in a few week, after I visit the halal store. We're actually thinking of hosting iftars this year, so I'm trying to find impressive foods to serve :wacko:

I have a few ramadan muzlim lolcats in the works. If anyone has any kitty pics that look like a very hungry cat, or a praying cat, or something islam related, send em my way.

Also, I've finally convinced AbuS that he should do some Egyptian traditions during Ramadan. He has requested that I save all the paper scraps we normally recycle for decorations. Now I'm worried :blink:

Squeaky I made my first Harira like 2 days before you did and girl it was so good! Sorry to say my husband t'd me off so badly. I was trying to make it special for him and you know he just nit picked about it missing some ingredients that his mother uses when she makes it and I told him there are always a handful of takes on any receipe...HE NEVER EVEN TRIED IT!!! I was so upset but it was soo darn good.

He is very difficult to please with Moroccan stuff and always has to comment about it. I have cooked some excellent dishes. There is not one Moroccan dish I have made that was not delicious.

Anyhow...

I read an article on the "IDEAL MUSLIM HUSBAND" which was written on behalf of women because it seems as though they are always being bombarded with how to be THE GOOD MUSLIM WIFE. I feel that men should own up to their duties as well and I wonder if they know what they are.

One of the points mentioned stated that the Prophet never complained about what was put in front of him.

He would eat what he liked and if he didn't he would politely decline. This is fine but when the food is clearly edible and certainly very very near the exact as his mother's I just don't get it.

It was dicouraging.

If any of you women are interested in this article

The Ideal Muslim Husband

on another note I will not get up just for suhoor.

probably a good idea as some of you have noted the days are so long...add the normal fasting hours to your sleeping hours plus a few before bed and :blink::angry: I am one hungry woman!

This will be my 2nd year fasting and although was not 100% on every point I did not EAT at all during fasting hours.

That for me was a big deal and this year I am going to do my best to cover all the bases and I am not even Muslim.

Edited by Sandrila

Timeline

Ugh husbands. There's a new book I saw that I'm getting mine for Eid - the Prophet Muhammad, Best of All Husbands :whistle:

More resources:

Imam Zaid on Preparing for Ramadan

A variety of lectures on Ramadan and preparing for it

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.