UmmSqueakster

Ramadan 2009

321 posts in this topic

I too am not Muslim, but I decided to fast along with my husband. As a Christian, we believe in fasting and prayer as well so I don't believe I am doing it in vain. Today is day 3 of the fast and I think yesterday was the hardest day. In all honesty I believe that fasting is a way to make you realize how fortunate you are to have food to eat and to be blessed by God, that you are sincere in your heart, you have faith in God and you love Him and are so thankful and grateful for what He has given you. My husband and I did spend a somewhat lazy weekend, but being together in fasting and breaking the fast together has brought us closer to each other & I believe closer to God. I know it is not easy when you keep hearing "In my country we do this, and this is this way and my mom does this and that." I know that all too well...I know I have caught myself telling my husband "well we aren't in Jordan and I'm not your mom!" That is how it will be sometimes being in a relationship with someone of a different culture and background. But we love our MENA men and if we truly do and believe that God has brought us together, then we need to take a step back and realize, hey...he left his entire family, friends, home, culture, just to be with me and he is going to miss it a lot. Heck, even I miss Jordan terribly.

I pray that God bless each and every one of you and that you have a wonderful Ramadan. Pray for me as today will be my first day fasting while at work.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
I too am not Muslim, but I decided to fast along with my husband. As a Christian, we believe in fasting and prayer as well so I don't believe I am doing it in vain. Today is day 3 of the fast and I think yesterday was the hardest day. In all honesty I believe that fasting is a way to make you realize how fortunate you are to have food to eat and to be blessed by God, that you are sincere in your heart, you have faith in God and you love Him and are so thankful and grateful for what He has given you. My husband and I did spend a somewhat lazy weekend, but being together in fasting and breaking the fast together has brought us closer to each other & I believe closer to God. I know it is not easy when you keep hearing "In my country we do this, and this is this way and my mom does this and that." I know that all too well...I know I have caught myself telling my husband "well we aren't in Jordan and I'm not your mom!" That is how it will be sometimes being in a relationship with someone of a different culture and background. But we love our MENA men and if we truly do and believe that God has brought us together, then we need to take a step back and realize, hey...he left his entire family, friends, home, culture, just to be with me and he is going to miss it a lot. Heck, even I miss Jordan terribly.

I pray that God bless each and every one of you and that you have a wonderful Ramadan. Pray for me as today will be my first day fasting while at work.

I couldn't agree with you more on every word that you said :thumbs:

I asked my husband about swimming and he said it's not forbidden but it's not ok-whatever that means lol. I say it's ok, but if you are a woman and you go out swimming with a modern swimsuit (not a hijabi swimsuit) then that's where I say it's not ok. My husband also said no perfume while your fasting.

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
...same reason you dont brush your teeth.. you could swallow water.

true true, but i still brush my teeth :)

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

You know when I think of judgement day I don't automatically think of being judged on what I ate, especially if my intentions were good. I think of other more important things (imho anyways). I think, did I kill anyone? did I worship any other God but Allah? did I not fast during Ramadan? did I spend money on frivolous things instead of saving up for Hajj? did I not pray five times per day?

That kind of stuff is always first and foremost on my mind and when I think of what I did wrong, I ask myself what my intentions were and if they were good then I cut myself some slack. I do this because I can become my own worst enemy at times. If I spent my precious time thinking of the little minute details then I will become obsessed and I will eventually fail to be able to see the forest from the trees.

Some can't afford to buy halal or spend the gas to drive forty five minutes. In that case, in my own opinion, if it were me...why not eat vegetarian for a while? I know I'm only human but I can't fathom Allah sending someone into the fire because they chose to buy their kid a pair of shoes, etc. instead of buying halal meat.

Anyways this thread is for Ramadan 2009 and I hope everyone is doing well physically, mentally and spiritually.

I quite don't understand your post, or you don't understand the concept of "Halal meat.":

"Some can't afford to buy halal or spend the gas to drive forty five minutes. In that case, in my own opinion, if it were me...why not eat vegetarian for a while?" You seem to imply that eating meat is mandatory. Well, no. You can do without meat if you chose to.

" I know I'm only human but I can't fathom Allah sending someone into the fire because they chose to buy their kid a pair of shoes, etc. instead of buying halal meat. " I don't understand what you mean by this. :wacko: Where did you get such an idea from?

Ramadan Mubarak every one.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Prague, Czech Republic

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-15

Check Cashed: 2009-07-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-20

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-01

NVC Received : 2009-10-06

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-15

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-12-15

Visa Received : 2009-12-16

US Entry :

Marriage :

AOS:

Event Date

CIS Office : Washington DC

Date Filed : 2010-07-26

NOA Date : 2010-08-06

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2010-09-09

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date :2011-01-07

Approval / Denial Date :2011-01-07

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received:

Comments :

Has anyone ever heard that it's not ok to swim when fasting?? My husband swears he's never heard of anyone swimming during Ramadan and that somehow it's prohibited. I think that's so not true. Anyone heard of this? I hate to say it but I'm a little upset because summer is coming to an end and this so called belief that he has, means no more swimming for the kids before the pools close! He doesn't want me to go swimming but comes up with this too?

Yes. I've heard and read about your husband's "so called belief." Ramadan is not about giving up drink and food only, but also other things you are allowed in other times of the year. That, in addition to the risk of drinking water while swimming.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Prague, Czech Republic

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-15

Check Cashed: 2009-07-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-20

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-01

NVC Received : 2009-10-06

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-15

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-12-15

Visa Received : 2009-12-16

US Entry :

Marriage :

AOS:

Event Date

CIS Office : Washington DC

Date Filed : 2010-07-26

NOA Date : 2010-08-06

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2010-09-09

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date :2011-01-07

Approval / Denial Date :2011-01-07

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received:

Comments :

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

Just wanted to drop in to say hello and good luck to everyone. Like a few others here, I am not Muslim, but I am fasting this year along with my fiance. I'll be leaving for Senegal in a week and am a little nervous about fasting when it's so much hotter over there, but I hope that I can gain a better understanding of Islam throughout this month. I'm still very new to all of this, but I'm trying to learn :)

event.png

Just wanted to drop in to say hello and good luck to everyone. Like a few others here, I am not Muslim, but I am fasting this year along with my fiance. I'll be leaving for Senegal in a week and am a little nervous about fasting when it's so much hotter over there, but I hope that I can gain a better understanding of Islam throughout this month. I'm still very new to all of this, but I'm trying to learn :)

Good luck on the fasting attaya girl!!! Incha allah we will make it. Have a great trip!!!!

hi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
i hope everyone is well also but i have to agree, im not Muslim and i do somewhat try to understand but i hope im never judged by what i ate, or when, as i dont try to gorge and would share with anyone,, i see no reason to do things against the body that God gave me to nourish and take care of and lay around all day with a headache, watching the clock for the minute i can eat everything in site. The poor eat when they can and appreciate it not watching the clock.

I hear what you are saying about the fasting and my mom, who is Catholic, thinks it's just insane, but just try to remember that it is one of the five pillars of Islam to fast during Ramadan. It's one month out of the year that we sacrafice for God and it's more than just a sacrafice since some grow spiritually from it. For me, when I'm fasting, sure I'm in pain because I can't take pain meds, I'm weak from lack of food and in the summer like now I'm thirsty, though I try to stay indoors in the air conditioning. When I'm thinking of all that I'm feeling physically (and even mentally since my depression seems to kick in during this time) I feel so vulnerable and THAT for me is a gift. I go through the rest of the year eating what I want, when I want, using medication to heal my body of it's aches and pains, listening to the radio and just basically doing things that tune out the basic gifts in life that are only possible with God. When I'm fasting I realize that nothing is possible without God. That's an AMAZING feeling for me and it fuels my soul for the remainder of the year.

Sorry for the attitude but i just spend the worst weekend since he has been here with him doing the clock thing and no cigarettes and doing totally nothing but laying around. Sorry this isnt morocco, mom dont have all the foods ready for when you wake late and decide to get up, life will go on. I did find the meat so its not like im not trying to help.....again sorry for the attitude i just have alot on my plate to deal with lately, my mom has also been put on hospice for those that knew she was in a nursing home.

I'm so sorry that your mom has been put into hospice care. That in and of itself is stressful and emotional. Is it possible that you could get someone to help you prepare some meals for iftar in advance so that when he wakes up or is ready for iftar it's all ready to go and you just have to heat it up? Or maybe there's a place you can buy food ready-made and heat that up for him? Just maybe try to make life easier on yourself by asking for help from friends? I hope you get through this and we're here for you when it gets tough. (F)

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline
I quite don't understand your post, or you don't understand the concept of "Halal meat.":

"Some can't afford to buy halal or spend the gas to drive forty five minutes. In that case, in my own opinion, if it were me...why not eat vegetarian for a while?" You seem to imply that eating meat is mandatory. Well, no. You can do without meat if you chose to.

I don't see how I imply that eating meat is mandatory since my suggestion for those who cannot afford to buy halal meat or don't have access to it is to eat vegetarian. Do you know what a vegetarian is? It is someone who does not eat meat. It's just an easier option for those who find getting access to halal meat a problem. Do you understand me now?

" I know I'm only human but I can't fathom Allah sending someone into the fire because they chose to buy their kid a pair of shoes, etc. instead of buying halal meat. " I don't understand what you mean by this. :wacko: Where did you get such an idea from?

Ramadan Mubarak every one.

I'm not sure if I understand your question but it was mentioned that in the day of judgement Allah will ask you why you ate meat that is not halal. There are some members here that are unable to buy halal due to financial problems. My point is that I think if one has to choose between clothing one's child and spending money on halal meat, I think the child should be clothed and I don't think Allah would fault you for that. Do you understand me now or do you still want to post a confused smiley face?

Ok...I am going to ask a question to my Muslim friends here.

I am still kind of in the middle on Christianity and Islam. I was raised Christian all my life and didn't really know anything about Isalm at all until I met my husband. From what I understand, the Bible is the first half and the Qu'ran is a continuation....Mohammad continued on after Jesus' message. Correct me if I am wrong here...which leads me to believe that Christians and Muslims believe in the same God or Allah. Would it be that my fast is "unacceptable" since I am not Muslim?

I just have so many "what ifs" and "well maybe it could be." I guess when you are raised all of your life to believe one way, it is extremely hard to believe it could be another way. I don't know what to do actually....I don't know what to think.

Timeline

I am still kind of in the middle on Christianity and Islam. I was raised Christian all my life and didn't really know anything about Isalm at all until I met my husband. From what I understand, the Bible is the first half and the Qu'ran is a continuation....Mohammad continued on after Jesus' message. Correct me if I am wrong here...which leads me to believe that Christians and Muslims believe in the same God or Allah. Would it be that my fast is "unacceptable" since I am not Muslim?

I just have so many "what ifs" and "well maybe it could be." I guess when you are raised all of your life to believe one way, it is extremely hard to believe it could be another way. I don't know what to do actually....I don't know what to think.

I don't have the answer but I can relate to what you are going through. I was raised Roman Catholic my whole life. My family was pretty strict and whenever my older sisters would get into trouble they'd be sent to live in the convent for a week or two. I was brought up thinking that blind faith was the best kind ever and that to question certain things was almost a sin. Of course that's not true for every Catholic I'm just sharing my experience. Leaving 40 years of all I've ever known about religion was very difficult and I went through a mourning period. Even thinking of leaving left me sad, so what you are going through is normal, even if you don't decide to convert. All I can advise is to read, read and then read some more.

I'm going to wish everyone a good Ramadan and sign off for a long while. (F)

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Sister, I think God/Allah will see your fast as being acceptable. You are doing it out of love for your husband and for God. Remember, what is done in His name that is pleasing is always acceptable.

ETA: Your impetus to fast was out of love for your husband.

Edited by Staashi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.