KeriO

HELP with CR-1, Husband works on Boat

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok, here is our story. I am an American. My husband is a British with a 10 year B1/B2. We will be married for 2 years in Sept and are having a baby in Sept as well.

We are wanting to get him is Green Card but our problem is that he works on a yacht that travels the world and he is only home here in Indiana for 6 weeks every 3 months. So we are not sure what direction we should take.

We think we should file for the CR-1 but we are not sure.

If I file the i-130 form will he be able to come in on his B1/B2 till he gets notice of his appt. He is currently in Tahiti and will be going to New Zealand, where I would think the meeting would take place because the boat will be there for 5 months.

Any help with this would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
Ok, here is our story. I am an American. My husband is a British with a 10 year B1/B2. We will be married for 2 years in Sept and are having a baby in Sept as well.

We are wanting to get him is Green Card but our problem is that he works on a yacht that travels the world and he is only home here in Indiana for 6 weeks every 3 months. So we are not sure what direction we should take.

We think we should file for the CR-1 but we are not sure.

If I file the i-130 form will he be able to come in on his B1/B2 till he gets notice of his appt.

I dont think there would be any problem with him visiting, he doesn't loose his B1/B2 until after he changes his status with the CR-1 visa. And as you'll be married for 2 years already in Sept, the visa he'll receive eventually and hopefully in few months will be IR-1.

He is currently in Tahiti and will be going to New Zealand, where I would think the meeting would take place because the boat will be there for 5 months.

What that meeting would be for, if you dont mind me asking...?

Any help with this would be greatly appriciated.

Are the 6 weeks visits your concern, or...?

Thanks

bulgaria_mwp.gifusa_mwp.gif

CSC USCIS ~CR-1 Visa~ Journey

2009-02-19 : I-130 package sent_________________2009-02-20 : I-130 Received in Chicago, IL

2009-02-27 : NOA1 Approved____________________2009-05-04 : NOA2 Approved

NVC ~CR-1 Visa~ Journey

2009-05-11 : NVC case # assigned

2009-05-19 : DS-3032/AOS Bill Generated__________2009-05-20 : DS-3032 e-mailed; AOS/I-864 Bill (paid online $70)

2009-05-26 : Sent In Completed I-864

2009-06-04 : e-mailed DS-3032 accepted by NVC____2009-06-04 : IV Fee bill generated, paid online $400

2009-06-08 : DS-230 mailed to NVC

2009-07-10 : Case complete - in 141 days

2009-07-21 : Interview expedite request e-mailed to NVC

2009-07-27 : NVC replied NO to expedite request

2009-07-29 : NVC e-mailed an interview date for Sept.15th

2009-08-07 : Case left NVC

2009-08-10 : DHL shipped file

2009-08-12 : Case received in USEM, Sofia

2009-08-24 : Medical scheduled

2009-08-25 : Interview re-scheduled

2009-08-28 : Visa in hand

2009-09-01 : US entry - Boston, MA

2009-09-15 : Welcome letter sent (21st Sept received)

2009-09-30 : GC production ordered

2009-10-08 : GC received

2010-02-01 : little D was born :)

VSC ~ROC~ Journey

2011-06-03 : mailed ROC package

2011-06-06: ROC NOA1

2011-07-08: Biometrics appointment

2012-02-25: GC Approval

2012-03-....: PGC received

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for the reply.

My understand is that when I file the I-130 for the IR-1 and it is processesed that he will have to have a meeting at the closest Embassy to him. Which I would guess would be in New Zealand. Depending on the time frame.

Am I correct?

My main concern is that we can do all this while he is coming and going from the US and that he will not have to stay in the US to wait on anything, because with his job he will not be able to. He would on the other hand be able to leave the boat at any time to come have his final meeting.

Do you feel that our best option at this time is the IR-1/CR-1 process?

Thanks again.

Keri

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Also on the G-325A form what do I need to check at the bottom left of the page where it ask "This form is submitted in connection with" if we are trying to get the CR-1.

I-130 - CR1 - all good answers to that.

You know, if your Husband has legal residence in NZ, it shouldn't be a problem for him to interview there. I know that the Montreal consulate did ask for a copy of my Husband's Canadian PR card, before they would let him interview there - basically they will want to see a visa probably.

Your Husband's situation is really quite unique and I would recommend that you call or email the NZ consulate and ask your question to them directly.

649 303 2724. Ext: 2180

Consulate E-Mail: AucklandIV@state.gov

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Sorry for the late reply, it's a big time difference between Eastern Europe ans USA ;)

Thanks for the reply.

My understand is that when I file the I-130 for the IR-1 and it is processesed that he will have to have a meeting at the closest Embassy to him. Which I would guess would be in New Zealand. Depending on the time frame.

Am I correct?

I'm really confused what do you have in mind when you say meeting? Do you mean interview? If you mean an interview, then I guess he'll have to go on an interview at the US Embassy at the country where he is a legal resident/citizen. But you have to remember that the visa process is long and no guarantee how long it's gonna take. So, at the time when he has an interview scheduled for him, even if he's on the boat, the interview could be rescheduled for a later/earlier date (depending on the USEM schedule).

My main concern is that we can do all this while he is coming and going from the US and that he will not have to stay in the US to wait on anything, because with his job he will not be able to. He would on the other hand be able to leave the boat at any time to come have his final meeting.

Do you feel that our best option at this time is the IR-1/CR-1 process?

I think that's your only option as far as he doesn't live permanently in USA and he can't apply there for Adjustment of status. Your situation is really different, so I'd advice you to speak to a lawyer and get a personal advise. Although, I believe he'll advise you on the CR-1/IR-1 visa. It never hurts to get professional opinion, as we are not lawyers here on VJ and we can only tell from our personal experience.

Thanks again.

Keri

You are always welcome, wish I could help more. Good luck now :thumbs:

bulgaria_mwp.gifusa_mwp.gif

CSC USCIS ~CR-1 Visa~ Journey

2009-02-19 : I-130 package sent_________________2009-02-20 : I-130 Received in Chicago, IL

2009-02-27 : NOA1 Approved____________________2009-05-04 : NOA2 Approved

NVC ~CR-1 Visa~ Journey

2009-05-11 : NVC case # assigned

2009-05-19 : DS-3032/AOS Bill Generated__________2009-05-20 : DS-3032 e-mailed; AOS/I-864 Bill (paid online $70)

2009-05-26 : Sent In Completed I-864

2009-06-04 : e-mailed DS-3032 accepted by NVC____2009-06-04 : IV Fee bill generated, paid online $400

2009-06-08 : DS-230 mailed to NVC

2009-07-10 : Case complete - in 141 days

2009-07-21 : Interview expedite request e-mailed to NVC

2009-07-27 : NVC replied NO to expedite request

2009-07-29 : NVC e-mailed an interview date for Sept.15th

2009-08-07 : Case left NVC

2009-08-10 : DHL shipped file

2009-08-12 : Case received in USEM, Sofia

2009-08-24 : Medical scheduled

2009-08-25 : Interview re-scheduled

2009-08-28 : Visa in hand

2009-09-01 : US entry - Boston, MA

2009-09-15 : Welcome letter sent (21st Sept received)

2009-09-30 : GC production ordered

2009-10-08 : GC received

2010-02-01 : little D was born :)

VSC ~ROC~ Journey

2011-06-03 : mailed ROC package

2011-06-06: ROC NOA1

2011-07-08: Biometrics appointment

2012-02-25: GC Approval

2012-03-....: PGC received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am in the same line of work though I am the USC and i am in the sportfishing side of crewing on boats. I spend considerable time out of the U.S. and am waiting for the interview for my wife's CR1. We chose that route because it will let her work in the US as well as give her the opertunity to leave for Costa Rica or another country for several month's if I happen to get a ride to a foreign location shortly after she arrives here. From what I understand the green card holder would have to get a some kind of permission (from the USCIS?) to stay abroad and return to the US after an EXTENDED stay abroad which I can't remember if that means 6 month's or 1 year. I figgure we could easily get a ticket back to the US to avoid any possible problems with her green card when the time comes.

She has had a tourist Visa for the past 5 years but that limits time allowed in the US as well as doesn't permit work----not to mention the thousands of questions usually asked to a Colombian when entering the US. We chose not to fly her in to the US this summer but only because her tourist visa expires this august and we spent the winter together in Costa Rica. By the time I left C.R. we were so far along on our process that we didn't want to risk anything with the final stages so close---especially since she spent the last two summers here in MD with me. I know of many on this site who have travelled with a pending petition.

As far as waiting I sent the I-130 and the I-129F while I was still in the states then went to C.R. and waited. Every now and then checked the USCIS site. Get all the papers in order and send in the petition---then it's a waiting game and it doesn't really matter where he is. He'll need to obtain any original documents necessary from his home country such as birth and police certificate etc... Make sure he signs several copies of any apps needed so you have backups in case you screw up filling something out. I had my wife sign many pages of all possible forms so I wouldn't have to worry about mail if a signature was needed. Also take several passport style photos before he leaves. Just in case something doesen't get accepted. Then you don't have to worry about mail from some far away location or using up sat phone time trying to describe something that is needed asap. And you won't have to worry about getting up with him when he is in route on a 2 to 3 week trip in which nothing can be sent.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.