Sherlock

Notary or just affirmation?

8 posts in this topic

Called the misinformation line today for the first time in about 2 years. I had forgotten how nauseating the hold music is. And it's the exact same nauseating music.

Anyway, my question is about the affadavits. The instructions for the I-751 say Affadavits sworn to or affirmed. Does that mean notarized, or just a statement in the affadavit that the signatory swears to the truthfulness of the affadavit?

--------------------

Naturalization Timeline

28 JUL 2007 - Sent N-400 and supporting documentation

20 AUG 2007 - Bank Website indicates check has been cashed

15 NOV 2007 - Received NOA

28 NOV 2007 - Received Biometrics Appointment letter

18 DEC 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

14 MAR 2008 - Received Interview Appointment letter

05 APR 2008 - Interview (Baltimore) SUCCESS!!

14 APR 2008 - Citizenship Oath

17 APR 2008 - Applied for US Passport

03 May 2008 - US Passport Received!!!

**Any comments or advice given by me is based on the circumstances of my specific case, and does not infer an in-depth knowledge of immigration law.**

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Called the misinformation line today for the first time in about 2 years. I had forgotten how nauseating the hold music is. And it's the exact same nauseating music.

Anyway, my question is about the affadavits. The instructions for the I-751 say Affadavits sworn to or affirmed. Does that mean notarized, or just a statement in the affadavit that the signatory swears to the truthfulness of the affadavit?

Affidavits really aren't necessary if you have a great deal of other evidence... I wouldn't bother with it..

But to answer your question.. yes... it means that you have to swear what is stated in the affidavit is correct before a notary.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

I have the same question- notarization or just signatures on the affadavits?

In one area of the Guide is states that the affadavits must notarized but in another area just a signature is OK. :help: I'm emailing my letter writers today and would love to not make them visit a notary.

Met Misho in Cabo San Lucas, August 3, 2003

Many trips back to Cabo, August-September, 2003

Xmas/Kolda in Bulgaria, December-January, 2004

Civil Ceremony in Sofia, Bulgaria September 8th

Appointment to file I-130 September 10, 2004. Approved!!!

Wedding Celebration with family & friends September 12, 2004

Flight back to San Diego September 14th...waiting....

Misho's VISA interview October 8th

We bought the ticket! Misho arrives October 14th!

Home together!

I-751 mailed August 15, 2006

Check cashed August 28, 2006

I-767C, Notice of Action recevied

Biometrics Appointment September 12, 2006

Approved! 10 Year Greencard received December 27, 2006

Our Wedding

April 19, 2008- Learned he was a liar, cheater and religious fanatic in that order. Filed for divorce May 2008

It says 'sworn to or affirmed' so we have just gone by 'affirmed' which doesn't need a notary. I think the VJ guide is way out of date, and feel much safer following the actual instructions that come with the I-751 form.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

It says 'sworn to or affirmed' so we have just gone by 'affirmed' which doesn't need a notary. I think the VJ guide is way out of date, and feel much safer following the actual instructions that come with the I-751 form.

:no: No. "Affirmed" has nothing to do with having a notary or not. Some people will not swear for religious reasons. Those people can affirm instead of swearing. Like in court they ask you "Do you solemnly swear or affirm to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?" and you can answer "I swear" or "I affirm."

The difference in the case of the affidavit is that the statement at the bottom should either begin "I swear under penalty of perjury ..." or "I affirm under penalty of perjury ..." (I believe that the rest of the statement is something like "... that the foregoing is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.")

I find it amusing that usually the people who will not swear are (1) very religious Christians who don't believe in swearing and (2) atheists since "swearing" implies "swearing to God" (even though most places don't add that part anymore).

In any case, nowhere does the I-751 itself say if it needs to be notarized or not. But whether the affidavit is sworn to or affirmed is unrelated to whether or not you need a notary. (When I had my AOS, we did have our affidavit-writers get them notarized. I don't know if we'll use affidavits for the I-751, because we just moved cross-country, so the people who see us together here have only known us a few months, and the people who knew us best back East don't see us anymore.)

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

The difference in the case of the affidavit is that the statement at the bottom should either begin "I swear under penalty of perjury ..." or "I affirm under penalty of perjury ..." (I believe that the rest of the statement is something like "... that the foregoing is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.")

Do you mean that each of my letter writers should actually type this statement at the end of the letter?

Edited by Betsy

Home together!

Our Wedding

April 19, 2008- Learned he was a liar, cheater and religious fanatic in that order. Filed for divorce May 2008

Do you mean that each of my letter writers should actually type this statement at the end of the letter?

Yes. Doesn't it say that in the instructions? It used to, or else it said it in a guide somewhere, or something.

Anyway, that's what makes it an "affidavit" instead of just being a letter: writing that gives it the same force and effect as if you were testifying under oath in court.

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Yes. Doesn't it say that in the instructions? It used to, or else it said it in a guide somewhere, or something.

I didn't see if but that doesn't mean it isn't there! Thanks for clarifying. It was so nice not having to worry about all this immigration stuff for 1.75 years! I really got spolied :luv:

Home together!

Our Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.