chrisc85

suspicious quick engagement?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey,

I was worried that our situation might be considered a "quick engagement" and was wondering if it might cause any problems for us...

Some of you might already know my story... I met my fiancee in Morocco while I was studying abroad last fall, we first met in October and we got engaged a couple weeks right before I left in mid December right before Christmas... so it was about 2 months of knowing each other before i proposed to her. we technically kind of had to get engaged quickly because in their culture parents shouldnt know of casual relationships, only when he proposes and it is serious enough for marriage. and of course there is no way her parents would have accepted if they hadnt met me first before my leaving. we both graduated college just this past semester and now im starting a full-time job. so obviously i havent been able to save the money to go back there again for another visit. its hard saving money for that especially in my situation.

might that be a problem though? i know the casablanca can be tough, im gonna front-load the petition a lot and im writing a little extra for the "how we met" question. what does everyone here think?

Timeline

this is what im writing for 'how we met', it fits on one page:

I was to study abroad in Spain from July 15th to August 15th directly through my school William Paterson University in the US, travel freely for 2 weeks, and spend the 2008 fall semester studying at Moulay Ismail University in Meknes, Morocco before returning home via Spain on December 21st 2008. After arriving in Meknes in September with the ISA group, it wasn’t long before I met my now-fiancée N****** A****, a local English student at the university. We first met very briefly at the Rif Hotel while she was bringing other exchange students back to their hotel after visiting the hammam, and then again at ISA director I*** E*******’s surprise birthday party in mid-October. I was very attracted to her, but at first she was nervous because she feared getting taken advantage of. With a little time however, we began seeing each other very often inside the university and out. I would visit her at work during her cooking classes, and she would always take the time to help me and keep me motivated with my struggling Arabic. It only got better every day we were with each other, and we were really happy.

After some time, my trip began to near its end, and I realized I was in love with her and didn’t want to leave. I told her this, and she responded to me very positively, telling me that she felt she was in love with me also. Riding in a taxi one day, I took a chance and proposed to her. She was shocked, but happily accepted. We knew that before leaving Morocco, I should respectfully introduce myself to her parents to make my intentions known. I arrived at her house with cake, sugar and flowers in hand, things went well, and we became officially engaged. A few weeks later, I departed for the US, and we continued to stay in touch by talking via internet and/or telephone everyday without fail. After waiting for us both to graduate college this past semester (Spring 2009) and for myself to acquire a full-time job, I quickly began to save money and gather the materials necessary to petition for the K-1 visa. I am looking forward very much to seeing and being with Nisrine again, and can’t wait for us to be able to spend the rest of our lives together. Please expedite this petition as quickly as possible. Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with your situation. Will you be able to visit again sometime before she comes to the US? Also you may want to provide any information from the study abroad tour - tuition statement or something of the sort just to prove that was legitimate. Best wishes!!!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with your situation. Will you be able to visit again sometime before she comes to the US? Also you may want to provide any information from the study abroad tour - tuition statement or something of the sort just to prove that was legitimate. Best wishes!!!

im gonna try to visit again if i can, but i dont know if i really can or should for sure... money is tough, the visa process itself is expensive, plus her flight, and plus it depends if my job is willing to let me leave for a few weeks (i just got the job). if i can i will try, but no guarantee.

and yeah im sending in a copy of the Certificate of Completion (stamped) i got from the university at the end of the semester, a copy of my transcripts from the university (also stamped), entry/exit passport stamps, and a letter from my study abroad director stating both my participation in the program and his onsite witnessing of our relationship. we never actually got "student visas" because meknes police were so lazy they never got put through lol. we actually got stopped leaving the country because our visas were never put through.

Edited by chrisc85

you sound like a very respectable gentleman.

Welcome to MENA and good luck.

Everyone has their story. It is a very nerve wracking process. Although you are not the first couple to have a quick engagement or marriage some didn't even met in person but online. I think you will be just fine. Just be honest and keep track of all your travels and correspondence. You will find alot of support and resources here.

Make sure you make copies of everything and do everything they ask of you to the letter. :thumbs:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
this is what im writing for 'how we met', it fits on one page:

I was to study abroad in Spain from July 15th to August 15th directly through my school William Paterson University in the US, travel freely for 2 weeks, and spend the 2008 fall semester studying at Moulay Ismail University in Meknes, Morocco before returning home via Spain on December 21st 2008. After arriving in Meknes in September with the ISA group, it wasn’t long before I met my now-fiancée N****** A****, a local English student at the university. We first met very briefly at the Rif Hotel while she was bringing other exchange students back to their hotel after visiting the hammam, and then again at ISA director I*** E*******’s surprise birthday party in mid-October. I was very attracted to her, but at first she was nervous because she feared getting taken advantage of. With a little time however, we began seeing each other very often inside the university and out. I would visit her at work during her cooking classes, and she would always take the time to help me and keep me motivated with my struggling Arabic. It only got better every day we were with each other, and we were really happy.

After some time, my trip began to near its end, and I realized I was in love with her and didn’t want to leave. I told her this, and she responded to me very positively, telling me that she felt she was in love with me also. Riding in a taxi one day, I took a chance and proposed to her. She was shocked, but happily accepted. We knew that before leaving Morocco, I should respectfully introduce myself to her parents to make my intentions known. I arrived at her house with cake, sugar and flowers in hand, things went well, and we became officially engaged. A few weeks later, I departed for the US, and we continued to stay in touch by talking via internet and/or telephone everyday without fail. After waiting for us both to graduate college this past semester (Spring 2009) and for myself to acquire a full-time job, I quickly began to save money and gather the materials necessary to petition for the K-1 visa. I am looking forward very much to seeing and being with Nisrine again, and can’t wait for us to be able to spend the rest of our lives together. Please expedite this petition as quickly as possible. Thank you.

If you could condense this in a paragraph, great. USCIS does not require anything this lengthy because it just takes up the CO's time.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I am sure you will be fine. Just be sure that whatever income you make , you are above the poverty level for 2 people. That has held up many! And take alot of pictures of you with the family (not just the family alone) Take pictures evrerywhere with them or make it look like evrywhere...like you did alot together (her family and friends) Be careful of the chat records......make a long history of them but......... make sure they are bland...just yada yada..........it does not need to be the whole conersation just that you talk ofen. Same with emails...forget the mushy poetry ones too! they will twist them around and say you faked them to ruffle your feathers, just show basic ones. The fact that you (the man) are from here (USA) will be good. Best of luck to you. Olive

Timeline
If you could condense this in a paragraph, great. USCIS does not require anything this lengthy because it just takes up the CO's time.

i know i was going back and forth debating doing that or not, but i feel like its worth it to take up 1 or 2 more minutes of their time by going into more detail rather than to leave it basic and then have them give her a harder time at the interview and asking more questions and stuff. but i dunno. i would make it shorter but i feel like everything i said will paint a better picture in their minds. idk though.

and to olive, i dont really have any pics with the family (OF the family not but with). but i am sending in facebook messages between my fiancee and my mom, so that should help the whole 'family relationship scene' i would think in that respect. yeah my emails and chats are normal i guess, its like a mixture of both. normal stuff with mushy stuff naturally thrown in. nothing really excessive though.

Edited by chrisc85

Filed: Timeline

Perfect! They love interaction between the parents and spouse both ways. I think maybe in the top 3. Of course my experience is with casablanca morocco but who knows.

i know i was going back and forth debating doing that or not, but i feel like its worth it to take up 1 or 2 more minutes of their time by going into more detail rather than to leave it basic and then have them give her a harder time at the interview and asking more questions and stuff. but i dunno. i would make it shorter but i feel like everything i said will paint a better picture in their minds. idk though.

and to olive, i dont really have any pics with the family (OF the family not but with). but i am sending in facebook messages between my fiancee and my mom, so that should help the whole 'family relationship scene' i would think in that respect. yeah my emails and chats are normal i guess, its like a mixture of both. normal stuff with mushy stuff naturally thrown in. nothing really excessive though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.