daveh

New citizen re-entry into the US

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Another thread made me wonder about something. I imagine that there will be a period of time in which my wife will not be able to re-enter the US because she will neither have a US passport nor greencard.

I assume at some point in the citizenship process, her greencard will be taken away. When does that happen? At the interview? Oath ceremony? Never?

Also, how long can it be from the time the greencard is taken away to the time she is able to apply for a US passport?

Dave.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Her green card will be taken when she takes her Oath. She can apply for a passport the same day if she chooses to. It can take 4 - 6 weeks to get a passport after appplying.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes the green card will be returned on the oath ceremony and after the ceremony you can apply for the passport. I received my passport 10 days after I applied and after I received my passport I got my naturalization certificate back

I-130 Petition for alien relative (mom)

01/08/2010 - Mailed I-130 form via express mail

01/11/2010 - Received Application and signed by JPM

01/19/2010 - Received NOA1

03/10/2010 - Received approval notice via e-mail

03/15/2010 - Received NOA2 via mail

NVC

03/16/2010 - case no. assigned and registered both my mom and my e-mail addresses

03/18/2010 - Received DS-3032 form and AOS fee bill from NVC via e-mail

03/18/2010 - PAID AOS fee

03/20/2010 - e-mailed signed DS-3032 to NVC

03/23/2010 - Mailed I-864 packet via USPS

03/25/2010 - NVC received DS 3032 thru e-mail

03/26/2010 - NVC received I-864 packet

03/31/2010 - PAID IV Bill online

04/10/2010 - Received RFE, missing DS-230 and entire documents..... still waiting for my mom to send me her stuff. omg!

04/22/2010 - Mailed DS 230 packet via USPS Priority Mail.... huh! finally I received my mom's docs.

04/26/2010 - NVC received DS 230 packet

05/07/2010 - Sign-in FAILED....great!

05/10/2010 - Talked to the NVC operator and said "CASE COMPLETED" on 05/10/2010

05/13/2010 - Received Interview Appt. on 06/02/2010 via e-mail

05/17/2010 - Medical Exam

06/02/2010 - Interview Appointment PASSED

06/23/2010 - Returned her passport to Singapore Embassy for issuance of visa

06/30/2010 - Visa Received... Yehey!!

09/16/2010 - Arrived in Hawaii

10/02/2010 - Received Welcome Notice

10/12/2010 - Applied for SS #

10/13/2010 - Received 10 years permanent card

10/18/2010 - Received ss card

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

As already stated, she will have to surrender her greencard at the oath ceremony.

If you're planning on leaving the country soon after, she can apply for her passport expedited and should receive it in about a week. If you have made travel arrangements already and will leave the country within two weeks, you can make an appointment at a passport office and receive a passport within 24 hours.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your answers. It's a long way off before she does her oath, she's not completed her biometrics yet, but I just wanted to be prepared since we typically go out of the country in January.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Was the last stress period of us as well, with all the grandeur of the oath ceremony, and my wife's concern about the health of her mom, that was dampened by the fact, she couldn't go visit her after the oath ceremony of she had too. We had all of the DOS forms and photographs prepared before her oath ceremony only lacking the certificate for some strange reason, even with a DOS certified agent, they still want the original certificate mailed in.

Wasn't so hot being a LPR either where you need a current valid foreign passport where in this country, have to show up in person with only three consulate offices spread all over the place. Then why should they even want to renew issue a passport to you if you are a permanent resident here? Ours didn't, but weren't above taking a bribe.

Really a great feeling once it's all over, wife was very proud to be a USC during the Fourth. For years, she felt like she was in a state of limbo, not really a party of this country, and not a part of her former country either. Should considered that with immigration.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Was the last stress period of us as well, with all the grandeur of the oath ceremony, and my wife's concern about the health of her mom, that was dampened by the fact, she couldn't go visit her after the oath ceremony of she had too. We had all of the DOS forms and photographs prepared before her oath ceremony only lacking the certificate for some strange reason, even with a DOS certified agent, they still want the original certificate mailed in.

Wasn't so hot being a LPR either where you need a current valid foreign passport where in this country, have to show up in person with only three consulate offices spread all over the place. Then why should they even want to renew issue a passport to you if you are a permanent resident here? Ours didn't, but weren't above taking a bribe.

Really a great feeling once it's all over, wife was very proud to be a USC during the Fourth. For years, she felt like she was in a state of limbo, not really a party of this country, and not a part of her former country either. Should considered that with immigration.

Oh, she wasn't excluded from paying taxes, just everything else. Ha, even considering welfare with the I-864 obligation gone, not that we desire that, just would like to get a small portion of our tax dollar back.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.