hej1

When to file I-131 during K-1 visa process?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi, everyone--

My fiance and I are about to file the I-129F for a K-1 visa. We would like to return to Peru after our marriage in the US in order to have a ceremony in Peru as well. I know that we have to file an I-131 to do this.

At what point in the K-1 process can we file the I-131? I am confused about when we can do this...from what I've read, it seems like the earliest you can file it after you receive the 2nd NOA before the K-1 visa is issued? Is this correct or can we can we file it earlier with the I-129F petition? Please let me know what is the earliest point when we can file for the I-131...

Thanks very much!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Reading the form instructions it says that you must be physically in the US when filing the I-131. Also you must be a conditional permanent resident or LPR.

Given that you could file after entering the US with your K1 visa.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, you must be in the states, and you must be filing for your AOS, before that you are not eligable for it as the K1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa. You will hopefully get it before your conditional greencard, but you must be in the process of adjusting to be able to get it. It usually takes about 3 months to file, so you would be waiting about 3 months after your marriage provided that you get all your AOS stuff together and in ASAP after your marriage in the states. The fee's for AP and EAD are all included in the AOS fee as well so I suggest getting them all done at once instead of spending money on them seperately.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

AP (I-131) is not part of the K-1 process. It is part of the AOS (Adjustment of Status) process. After your fiancee has received the K-1, entered the US and you have got married, she needs to apply for AOS which is basically permission for her to remain in the US as a permanent resident. While the AOS application is being adjudicated she is allowed to use an AP (Advance Parole) to travel outside of the States and return, and to use an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) to work. Both of these are tied to the AOS application. So the earliest she would be able to apply for an AP is with the AOS application after marriage.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi, everyone--

My fiance and I are about to file the I-129F for a K-1 visa. We would like to return to Peru after our marriage in the US in order to have a ceremony in Peru as well. I know that we have to file an I-131 to do this.

At what point in the K-1 process can we file the I-131? I am confused about when we can do this...from what I've read, it seems like the earliest you can file it after you receive the 2nd NOA before the K-1 visa is issued? Is this correct or can we can we file it earlier with the I-129F petition? Please let me know what is the earliest point when we can file for the I-131...

Thanks very much!

She CAN file it immediately when she sets foot in the USA. You will pay a fee for that. OR you can wait until after marriage and file it with the AOS and it is free. Your choice. In either case, it is after she arrives here. 2-3 months for receiving an approved AP seems about normal.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
AP (I-131) is not part of the K-1 process. It is part of the AOS (Adjustment of Status) process. After your fiancee has received the K-1, entered the US and you have got married, she needs to apply for AOS which is basically permission for her to remain in the US as a permanent resident. While the AOS application is being adjudicated she is allowed to use an AP (Advance Parole) to travel outside of the States and return, and to use an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) to work. Both of these are tied to the AOS application. So the earliest she would be able to apply for an AP is with the AOS application after marriage.

Not exactly correct. Either can be filed immediately on arrival, before marriage and before AOS. You will pay fees for each and the EAD, if received before I-94 expiration, will expire with I-94. The EAD, at least is a terrible value for the money unless filed with the AOS, but it can be done. The AP can be filed immediately but costs money. If filed with the I-485, it is free.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.