Usui Takumi

From now on will I need to carry alot of paperwork when entering the UK?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I have come and gone from the UK a lot since 2004. (USC) I had a work visa that was valid until I ended work in late 07. I've only used the VWP once before my wife and I were married. So now that I am married to a UKC will I forever have to carry tons of proof that I will leave the country with her when we visit so I don't get bounced out?

Not looking forward to carrying copies of leases/ mortgages etc for the next 30 years.

Edited by lancer1655

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Confused.

You state you are the USC, the VWP is not relevant.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Confused.

I think he means that he's concerned that he'll have to bring proof of ties to the U.S. when visiting the U.K., the way our spouses have to when visiting the U.S.

I only entered the U.K. without a visa once, and I was traveling with my husband. The officer asked me where he was, I pointed to him, and he said "enjoy your stay." I don't think the U.K. is as strict as the U.S. is but maybe others have had a more difficult time.

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Timeline
Confused.

I think he means that he's concerned that he'll have to bring proof of ties to the U.S. when visiting the U.K., the way our spouses have to when visiting the U.S.

I only entered the U.K. without a visa once, and I was traveling with my husband. The officer asked me where he was, I pointed to him, and he said "enjoy your stay." I don't think the U.K. is as strict as the U.S. is but maybe others have had a more difficult time.

My wife never does when we go to the UK, I never did when I came to the USA.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

My husband and I have vistited the UK once since we got married. When we went there we went with his family: his mom and dad, brother and his bro's girlfriend. I went through my line - no questions asked and he went through wth his family where they were asked what they were doing, and they replied with me visiting and then they asked my husband where I was and he pointed to me in the cleared area and then they told them to have a nice trip. As it is right now the UK immigration people do not seem as harsh with proving ties for a USC married to a UKC that live in the US - perhaps they figure that if the UKC went through with all the immigration work for the US then perhaps they are not going to circumvent UK law? Who knows!

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I can not understand why when a UKC and a USC are arriving in the UK they go in different lines. When I travel with my USC husband we both go together through the line for non-EU passport holders, I hand them my UK passport (I am duel citizen) and my husbands US passport and they ask how long we will be staying, I tell them and they wish us a good trip.

We have never been asked to show documents to prove we will be returning to the US and we have never gone through on our own we always go together.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

We've traveled twice to the UK since we married and I wasn't asked for anything other than my passport. I just told them I was there to visit my husband's family. I also received the six month stamp both times.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I tried looking at the UK immigration stuff for about 30 seconds, but it wasn't really clear - they apparently outsource it to some other company and there were 1000 links and I was too lazy, sorry :blush: .

Anyway, what I was looking for was something like Spain has - basically since I can apply legally for the equivalent of a CR/IR1 IN Spain (the Spanish consulate here does not issue visas for USCs, you just go to the police in your town within one month of arrival to start the process) they don't ask a bunch of questions about intent to stay. I'm married to a Spanish citizen (and have the papers to prove it), I am allowed to stay.

I don't know if the UK is the same way, but if they are it might explain why they don't ask too many questions.

Timeline
I tried looking at the UK immigration stuff for about 30 seconds, but it wasn't really clear - they apparently outsource it to some other company and there were 1000 links and I was too lazy, sorry :blush: .

Anyway, what I was looking for was something like Spain has - basically since I can apply legally for the equivalent of a CR/IR1 IN Spain (the Spanish consulate here does not issue visas for USCs, you just go to the police in your town within one month of arrival to start the process) they don't ask a bunch of questions about intent to stay. I'm married to a Spanish citizen (and have the papers to prove it), I am allowed to stay.

I don't know if the UK is the same way, but if they are it might explain why they don't ask too many questions.

Very different

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.