jpac876

student financial aid affect k1 visa application? didn't see it in the guide

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

would receiving any kind of financial aid from FAFSA (federal student aid) towards school affect the USE's decision on a k1 visa? I qualified for a grant for this school year totalling 3600 dollars....hopefully not, since its not welfare, but any feedback would be helpful since i didn't see this particular issue come up on the countless guides that i have read/skimmed =p

Edited by jpac876

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

:no: NO, US citizen's financial aid is not an issue.

Also when filing the I-129F you do NOT provide any financial and support information, this comes up only at the visa interview.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Not a problem. In fact you can use your financial aid (loans, scholarship, grants, fellowships) to count toward the sponsorship requirements ; 125% above poverty (I-134 for the K1 visa and I-864 for AOS application). You just have to include your financial aid award letters, letter from the bank and tax returns (or either a statement of why taxes were not filled- student loans are not taxable, but many scholarships and fellowships are).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
would receiving any kind of financial aid from FAFSA (federal student aid) towards school affect the USE's decision on a k1 visa? I qualified for a grant for this school year totalling 3600 dollars....hopefully not, since its not welfare, but any feedback would be helpful since i didn't see this particular issue come up on the countless guides that i have read/skimmed =p

No, it will not hurt your application, it is NOT welfare. However, it also does not count as "income" since it's purpose is only for school expenses

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Not a problem. In fact you can use your financial aid (loans, scholarship, grants, fellowships) to count toward the sponsorship requirements ; 125% above poverty (I-134 for the K1 visa and I-864 for AOS application). You just have to include your financial aid award letters, letter from the bank and tax returns (or either a statement of why taxes were not filled- student loans are not taxable, but many scholarships and fellowships are).

Not correct. Student aid is specifically excluded as a form of income from the I-864 instructions. There are no specific "instructions" regarding qualified income for the I-134 but most consulates apply the rules of the I-864

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Not correct. Student aid is specifically excluded as a form of income from the I-864 instructions. There are no specific "instructions" regarding qualified income for the I-134 but most consulates apply the rules of the I-864

I double checked the instructions and I don't seen anything excluding student aid. Do you know the section you were referring to? I may be overlooking it.

Timeline

No, it will not hurt your application, it is NOT welfare. However, it also does not count as "income" since it's purpose is only for school expenses

This only partly true. The financial aid packages offered by a schools covers the cost of attendance (school expenses such as tuition and fees + living expenses). For scholarships and fellowships, the living expenses portion is the taxable portion, and that part that you can consider as income.

I think people are not as comfortable thinking about student financial aid when comes to the I-134 & I-864. But it is valid, when you document everything, and include brief direct explanations as necessary.

Timeline

This only partly true. The financial aid packages offered by a schools covers the cost of attendance (school expenses such as tuition and fees + living expenses). For scholarships and fellowships, the living expenses portion is the taxable portion, and that part that you can consider as income.

I think people are not as comfortable thinking about student financial aid when comes to the I-134 & I-864. But it is valid, when you document everything, and include brief direct explanations as necessary.

This is correct. Student Aid which is earmarked for "living expense" and taxable IS considered income. Student loans or grants for school expenses are NOT considered income. The person would need to document the amount provided for "living expense"

Gary And Alla

• 7 years later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi, I know I'm necroing this thread but I had to ask. Does tuition affect Affidavit of Support? I'm receiving financial aid to cover 2/3rds of the tuition but I do meet and surpass the minimum for poverty guidelines through my income.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.