Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually, those are some of the first VJ members who went through the immigration process. I have seen their names somewhere although I don't recall at the moment where.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
What? How did I miss these posts?! Happy move for your TMixy. :)

How was your trip to Honolulu, Cat?

Short but nice. :lol: We looked at the boat, ate at Popeye's and then spent the rest of the afternoon driving around the island and trying to figure out where Hurley had his golf course, where the plane crashed and where the smoke monster appears.

(referring Lost if you're not a fan)

I have no idea why I put 'for' Calgary - we aren't really moving 'for' Calgary - in fact I believe Calgary as a whole does not care :lol:

:lol:

Maybe Jedinite is still in town and you'll be able to catch up over coffee.

Edited by MrsCat

Good morning! All-Star day today! Gene is getting off work early today as he works near Busch Stadium and President Obama will be there today and it will be pandemonium! It's all very exciting in St. Louis this past week! :dance:

I'm doing a presentation today about the Ombudsman Program to a conference of Social Workers today as well, so I have to review my cue cards and get polish up my presentation.

Enjoy your day!

2660358115_e1bda5f07c.jpg

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
I just find it odd because even though we changed health insurance companies , the plan is still the same and what we pay is just a few dollars more a month

and I love the fact that cigna switched over my BCP prescription without me having to call in to do it.... I get my BCP's through mail order.. with United Healthcare it cost me about 20 bucks for a 3 month supply.. mot sure yet how much it costs with Cigna though..

Yep, our health insurance sent us out a letter last yr, stating that if we used a mail order service, it was free or would be at a reduced price!! They are trying to cut out the middleman and make things cheaper!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline
Sometimes I wonder who the people are at the top of VJ. Like did they send their photos to Ewok and say please post my photo on VJ!? :lol:

Here's one of the couples! Link I can't be bothered looking for the others. LOL. Though I do remember seeing posts from the small family on the right. Didn't Steve's pic used to be there, Marilyn/Kathryn?

Short but nice. :lol: We looked at the boat, ate at Popeye's and then spent the rest of the afternoon driving around the island and trying to figure out where Hurley had his golf course, where the plane crashed and where the smoke monster appears.

(referring Lost if you're not a fan)

Haha. I was thinking.... "Who's Hurley?" And then..... "OMG! There was a plane crash?!!" :o And then I went "Smoke monster?" :unsure: Obviously, I have never seen Lost. :lol:

Good morning! All-Star day today! Gene is getting off work early today as he works near Busch Stadium and President Obama will be there today and it will be pandemonium! It's all very exciting in St. Louis this past week! :dance:

I'm doing a presentation today about the Ombudsman Program to a conference of Social Workers today as well, so I have to review my cue cards and get polish up my presentation.

Oh wow. That's so cool on both counts, Carla. Have fun on your presentation!

Good morning everyone. :) I must be feeling better because I am antsy to get out of the house. :dance:

iagree.gif

Timeline

Good to hear krikit!

Yeah MrsCat, I don't think jedenite wants me to have coffee with us - just a hunch :lol:

Carla I think it's so cool that you are brave enough to give a presentation! I have only done that once, it was at a conference in Calgary for this company I was working for. It was scripted - I think that was probably the worst part, although I knew what I was speaking about, the script was so not me - it was a multi level marketing company and I was supposed to get really animated during one part of it - it just did not work :hehe:

Good morning all!

Edited by trailmix

Yeah MrsCat, I don't think jedenite wants me to have coffee with us - just a hunch :lol:

I didn't "get" that comment so I just did a search. It's all coming back to me now. :lol:

Did you know that most people would rather "die" than to give a presentation? Personally, I'd give the presentation. :lol: But I'm selfish that way. :hehe:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

good morning all - day 2 of purgatory here, more computer classes :dead:

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

morning all.. hope everyone's well today! :star:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Morning E. :)

It's my husband's birthday tomorrow. Because I was lying on the couch, curled up in misery for the last 4 days, I have not planned ahead and bought a present. So now I am wracking my brain trying to figure out what to get him. icon2.gif So far I'm thinking deep tissue massage. But I'd really like to pay about half that. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

I had a funny call yesterday. So we bought the Durango a few weeks ago, I called the Auto Insurance people (Allstate) - got that all sorted out etc etc.

So the local office calls me yesterday and says hey, since you have had your auto policy for a year it would be a good idea to go over your auto policy and Steven could come out to see you but since you live locally, in Lake Mary, we would love to see you in the office, perhaps you could come in - something along that line.

There are so many things wrong with that sales pitch :lol:

So I just said 'no, I don't want to'.

She was a bit taken aback I think - although why she would be, I have no idea.

I said we just changed to a new vehicle and it's all good - she said oh maybe that is why you are on this list to call or whatever. I said, well it's all good, no need to go over it or anything.

It was just all so silly :lol:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I had a funny call yesterday. So we bought the Durango a few weeks ago, I called the Auto Insurance people (Allstate) - got that all sorted out etc etc.

So the local office calls me yesterday and says hey, since you have had your auto policy for a year it would be a good idea to go over your auto policy and Steven could come out to see you but since you live locally, in Lake Mary, we would love to see you in the office, perhaps you could come in - something along that line.

There are so many things wrong with that sales pitch :lol:

So I just said 'no, I don't want to'.

She was a bit taken aback I think - although why she would be, I have no idea.

I said we just changed to a new vehicle and it's all good - she said oh maybe that is why you are on this list to call or whatever. I said, well it's all good, no need to go over it or anything.

It was just all so silly :lol:

Have you informed them that you will be moving soon? Will you be keeping them for your insurance when you do move?

It's funny the lengths that some companies will go to keep your business. I remember when I was moving to south carolina for university. I had two distinct situations where the company was a pain in the ####### about it. First was my bank, they had no branches in the state of south carolina at the time, but the lady did inform me that they had one in Atlanta. I remember asking her if she was serious. I'm not going to drive 90 minutes each way to go deposit a check or get money thank you. The second was with my gym membership. They had a policy that you could not cancel it during the timeframe of your contract unless you moved to an area more than 50 miles from the nearest facility. I was nearly 65 miles away from it and besides, my university had a really good gym that was free for students. Well, they tried to deny my claim. Their rationale was that from my apartment to the nearest gym, it was 47 miles. That would be true, if you had a helicoptor and could fly a straight line, but normal people who have to take roads have to drive 65 miles. They wouldn't budge. So I cancelled my bank account that they were drawing membership fees on and filed a grievance. Killed two birds with one stone there :lol:

The second was with my gym membership. They had a policy that you could not cancel it during the timeframe of your contract unless you moved to an area more than 50 miles from the nearest facility. I was nearly 65 miles away from it and besides, my university had a really good gym that was free for students. Well, they tried to deny my claim. Their rationale was that from my apartment to the nearest gym, it was 47 miles. That would be true, if you had a helicoptor and could fly a straight line, but normal people who have to take roads have to drive 65 miles. They wouldn't budge. So I cancelled my bank account that they were drawing membership fees on and filed a grievance. Killed two birds with one stone there :lol:

Ahhh HA!! Gold's Gym, right? I KNEW there was a catch and they were going to try to find a way not to honour their promises.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Ok - the feral cat saga continues. The feral cat who is the mother to Bermycat's new kitten is currently in a havahart trap in the garage. I was really nervous about whether I would be able to trap her or not but she started to sniff at the entrance of the trap - the food was at the back and I just gave her a little shove and the trap closed with her in it. Wow - she didn't like that! She fought and threw herself at the edges of the trap trying to escape and meowing and hissing like crazy. I covered the trap with a towel and moved it into the garage where unfortunately, it is still really warm (poor kitty). She has a 12 hour wait in the trap without food except for what was put in to entice her and a little bit of water I was able to pour from the top into the dish. Tomorrow morning she is going into Project Catsnip - a low cast mobile spay/neuter clinic - that is coming to an animal control site just 7 miles away. She will be spayed, dewormed and get her rabies shot, then will recuperate at a friend's place (she has an isolated bathroom where she can stay for 2 days) before we bring her back and release her again.

My heart goes out to her right now, she is crying away and it is so warm in there - but it needs to be done. She hangs around the house too much and I just can't let her keep having kittens. It would be best if she would rejoin the feral colony that doesn't hang around the house. Maybe that will happen now.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

So a few weeks ago my FRIEND *wink wink* got plastic surgery on her face. You're gonna complain about the amount of taxes on your property but turn around and spend that kind of money on postponing gravity for a few years? :huh:

Anyways I am afraid to see her just because I don't know what I should say or do... or if I should say something... I mean when you get work done do you want people to notice? Or do you want us to pretend your face always looked like that? What's the protocol? I mean it's going to be hard not to stare.

I don't know what to do... I really don't.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.