• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This afternoon I decided to visit the Georgia Archives which are nearby. They are actually the Southeastern Regional Archives of the National Archives. It was my first time there. They had a new exhibit that just opened last month called 'Documented Rights' about rights issues as presented through documents - from slavery issues, through immigration and citizenship issues through women's rights and civil rights, etc. The exhibit is excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed touring it. While I was there there was a man taking photographs (without flash) and since the archive staff didn't object I presumed he had permission.

So, this evening I was reading the Atlanta Journal Constitution online and see an article about this new exhibit. When I clicked on it, there is a photograph - and quess what! I am in the background! Yep - the fellow taking photographs must have been the reporter/photographer from the paper.

Anyway, here is the link to the article. You can click on the photograph to see it enlarged - I'm the blonde in the background behind the child:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/sto...it_slavery.html

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Cool stuff Kathryn!

I just woke up because I was hungry so instead of just making a quick snack I decided to roast some tomatoes and garlic in the oven and mash it up and put it over pasta with some basil.

It was really delicious! But I mean, it was 12:30 am. Now I can't sleep because I'm full of energy.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Chris and I are finally taking a day to hang out. Since we moved in April, we have had almost no weekends together. So we're heading to Honolulu tomorrow for some shopping, Popeye's Chicken (don't ask), watch the first boats to arrive from the Transpacific Race and to look at a sailboat we're thinking of buying. Then fly back the same night to tuck ThomasJ, Oscar and Dale into bed. :dance:

Timeline

Wooo hooo Winnipeg!

Winnipeg crowned Slurpee capital of the world

Winnipeg Free Press July 10, 2009

WINNIPEG — Winnipeggers can hold their heads — and Slurpees — high, for their city has again been crowned Slurpee Capital of the World.

This is the 10th consecutive year the honour has been bestowed on the city.

Mayor Sam Katz was presented with an honorary Slurpee Cup trophy and a commemorative plaque dubbing the province “Slurpeetoba.”

The sweet, syrupy beverage runs deep in the veins of many Winnipeggers.

Curtis Kopeschny said one of his earliest memories is of taking in a long, cold sip of a Slurpee.

“I was five or six, and I remember getting on my BMX bike and going down to the 7-Eleven,” Kopeschny said.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Okay can someone enlighten me on why all the Italian Salami here tastes like summer salami or is just generally crappy?

All I want is some nice Mastro Genoa Salami... can't seem to find anything :(

Aren't you in NYC, Sapphire? There should be lots of Italian delis where you can get proper meats. :unsure:

You would think so Krikit, but it must be something about how they cure meats here and different laws, because the deli meat sucks!! It is nothing like what you can find in Toronto, or perhaps I just need to find a better place. Although, I'm sure anywhere else will be super expensive.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
Chris and I are finally taking a day to hang out. Since we moved in April, we have had almost no weekends together. So we're heading to Honolulu tomorrow for some shopping, Popeye's Chicken (don't ask), watch the first boats to arrive from the Transpacific Race and to look at a sailboat we're thinking of buying. Then fly back the same night to tuck ThomasJ, Oscar and Dale into bed. :dance:

Sounds like a fun adventure! How fun!

Good morning all.

Haha omg slurpees! I remember in highschool my friend and I would meet at the corner store for "slurpee dates" :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I have decided to go visit my mom for a week before I bring Ethan back. But I have decided to drive alone. I know this isn't a big deal to some of you who do it all of the time, but I usually don't drive long distances because I am hypoglycemic.

There have been times with Mike and I that I have had to pull over and quickly eat something because I get faint and dizzy. I never really feel it coming on either, sometimes it just happens. But I have decided I can do it, I'll just stop every 2 hours to eat a piece of fruit and get some water at a rest stop... if there's anything I love about the drive, it's that there is A LOT of rest stops.

I am kind of embarrassed to admit that I have never driven long distances alone before, because I hear about people doing it all of the time. The only part I am nervous about is getting into Canada and there's quite a long stretch before I hit the 400 and am on the home stretch and I'll probably have to stop then too. So I am hoping all is well.... takes about 2 hours so if I stop before the border and then on the 400 I should be okay.

I am always nervous that I am going to be that woman who ends up passing out at the wheel and killing myself or someone else, but I will attempt to stop a lot... it will probably take me 13 hours to get home but that's okay. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Why not just test ur blood glucose levels at more frequent intervals?? Nothing like a long drive!! I look fwd to them, but then thankful when they are over,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I don't have a blood monitor... my doctors told me it wasn't necessary.... yet.

I am usually fine, I try to eat regularly but it's when I am in the car on long drives that I tend to forget. :(

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I am usually fine, I try to eat regularly but it's when I am in the car on long drives that I tend to forget. :(

You need a slurpee!

Yeah, maybe it would help to make a list of times you plan to stop to have a snack or something, just to remind you :)

Timeline

That's not something to be embarrassed about. There are already so many things that can go wrong on long car trips. :(

Perhaps schedule with Mike, call in times where you pull over and check-in. Have a quick snack at that time too? I dunno, its so easy to put on the cruise control for hours and never really remember how long since you last ate or even stretched your legs for a few minutes.

Timeline

That's not something to be embarrassed about. There are already so many things that can go wrong on long car trips. :(

Perhaps schedule with Mike, call in times where you pull over and check-in. Have a quick snack at that time too? I dunno, its so easy to put on the cruise control for hours and never really remember how long since you last ate or even stretched your legs for a few minutes.

Thats exactly what it is, I forget on road trips. I am sure I'll be fine, we're going out to buy a blue tooth today and my mom and Mike will be calling me a lot I'm sure.

I just hear about people doing the drive by themselves and saying its not big deal and I feel stupid because I have never done it alone. I know I can make it, I have driven the entire way before but I have always had someone in the car with me which helps incase my sugar gets low and we usually stop 3 times.

The drive back, I'll have Ethan which makes me even more nervous but again, I'll have to stop. It's hard because you want to get to your destination as quickly as possible.

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.