Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Dude, have you NOT noticed that I the queen of anti-Tim Horton Jingoism? I know, my profile pic is tim bits but it was the only free pic I had on my desktop at the moment!

:)

I am not a big fan of the doughnut and weak coffee makes me cry. I love Canada and I have my Vancouver 2010 Red Mittens but weak coffee? can't even pretend.

And guess what?????

Husband is coming up to see me on Thursday for our 1st year anniversary! I am beside myself with excitement. We have no plans really but man, I cannot wait to see him!

WOO...

Just thought I'd say.

No, actually, I HADN'T noticed your anti-Tim Horton jingoism! I've long declared that most urban Canadians are either Tim Hortons people OR Starbucks people. I don't think there's a lot of overlap. I myself am a Starbucks person. I can't even begin to calculate how many thousands of dollars I've spent at Starbucks in my life. I'd venture to guess it's in the five figures at this point. My first three years out of high school I was a full time receiver at a Chapters, which means that there was a Starbucks on site. Given that we were allowed to have drinks in the receiving area, plus we had occasional discounts and freebies at Starbucks...yeah. I was a corporate junkie. When I worked in Richmond for a few years, there was a Drive-thru Starbucks right around the corner from where I worked. So sure enough, me and my Torchmobile would cruise through there each and every morning. Worse still, I became smitten with one of the drive-thru baristas which gave me even more reason to drive through there! "Yeah, I'll have a chai tea latte, a ginger cookie...and your number!" Okay, I never said that last part. :P

Yep, Wyatt's Torch: corporate slave since 1997.

Oh! And edited to add: congrats regarding your hubby's arrival!!! That's so cool. :D

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a Second Cup girl, myself. I love that it's a Canadian company as I'm all about supporting that but they happen to make nice, full-bodied coffee. I will be honest -- I have been on a 'budget' for the past year or so in order to be debt free and to amass a little cash for my great departure to the US... so, I limit myself to Second Cup about 2 or3 times a month now just for a large medium blend coffee... I have saved CRAPLOADS of cash this way. I bring my own coffee in a thermos and I brown bag my lunch pretty much everyday.

It seriously has made a HUGE difference in my savings and such. I am THAT person that actually did it be cutting back on treats and such.

I have managed to be completely debt free and save some money so....

RE: Hubby coming on Thursday = yay!

Dude, have you NOT noticed that I the queen of anti-Tim Horton Jingoism? I know, my profile pic is tim bits but it was the only free pic I had on my desktop at the moment!

I am not a big fan of the doughnut and weak coffee makes me cry. I love Canada and I have my Vancouver 2010 Red Mittens but weak coffee? can't even pretend.

And guess what?????

Husband is coming up to see me on Thursday for our 1st year anniversary! I am beside myself with excitement. We have no plans really but man, I cannot wait to see him!

WOO...

Just thought I'd say.

No, actually, I HADN'T noticed your anti-Tim Horton jingoism! I've long declared that most urban Canadians are either Tim Hortons people OR Starbucks people. I don't think there's a lot of overlap. I myself am a Starbucks person. I can't even begin to calculate how many thousands of dollars I've spent at Starbucks in my life. I'd venture to guess it's in the five figures at this point. My first three years out of high school I was a full time receiver at a Chapters, which means that there was a Starbucks on site. Given that we were allowed to have drinks in the receiving area, plus we had occasional discounts and freebies at Starbucks...yeah. I was a corporate junkie. When I worked in Richmond for a few years, there was a Drive-thru Starbucks right around the corner from where I worked. So sure enough, me and my Torchmobile would cruise through there each and every morning. Worse still, I became smitten with one of the drive-thru baristas which gave me even more reason to drive through there! "Yeah, I'll have a chai tea latte, a ginger cookie...and your number!" Okay, I never said that last part. :P

Yep, Wyatt's Torch: corporate slave since 1997.

Oh! And edited to add: congrats regarding your hubby's arrival!!! That's so cool. :D

Edited by lgg

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Good morning!

I don't really drink coffee when I am out, I don't really like anyone elses coffee (as in restaurant coffee) - plus I don't drink coffee during the day.

I only use coffee mate and no sugar, I can't imagine using an artificial sweetner - but hey, I don't like them, in anything.

So I'm still trying to get official confirmation that I can continue to work for my Canadian company after I move (before I get my EAD) and I can't call the USICS from my "calling area".

LAME!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

wow I am definitely the late riser in this forum.

The pic I attached here was taken about 10 minutes ago. This is my daily routine. and I mean every day. I switch up the cereal, and sometimes I scramble the eggs, or put them on toast(or here in arizona on a tortilla) But basically I depend on this combo to start my day. I actually love the sound of my kettle. Lame-yes. Delicious-YES.

US born, Canadian raised, Irish Blood.

For the record, I-like Mal-also enjoy both Timmies and Starbucks. However I also agree with wyatt-about timmies people and starbucks people. Timmies people are my people, down to earth, no snoot-snoot, they wear jeans and talk about hockey. You can often walk into a starbucks and find someone writing poetry on their laptop(actually I think it's a prerequisite to bring your laptop to starbucks) BUT-they have great coffee. I don't really order any specialty drinks, my wife has worked at starbucks for over five years, so I just really like their beans(they give employees a pound a week).

I guess I just really hate yuppies and pseudo-intellectuals. Timmies coffee is still pretty smooth, just weak. I guess what I'm saying is that if I had to be stranded in one or the other, I'd rather get stranded in the timmies.

Thanks for the pic! And oh, you are almost out of honey.

What are those little cabinet looking things by the stove?

my wife is artsy, she puts together little stuff like that for decoration. I'll go get a closer picture.....

Timeline

You know what, Leppy.... I totally agree with you on that, the Timmies people are my people but Second Cup is my coffee. Why no love for Second Cup, folks? I find Starbucks way too hoity-toity for my liking...

Venti, grande, my butti!!!

For the record, I-like Mal-also enjoy both Timmies and Starbucks. However I also agree with wyatt-about timmies people and starbucks people. Timmies people are my people, down to earth, no snoot-snoot, they wear jeans and talk about hockey. You can often walk into a starbucks and find someone writing poetry on their laptop(actually I think it's a prerequisite to bring your laptop to starbucks) BUT-they have great coffee. I don't really order any specialty drinks, my wife has worked at starbucks for over five years, so I just really like their beans(they give employees a pound a week).

I guess I just really hate yuppies and pseudo-intellectuals. Timmies coffee is still pretty smooth, just weak. I guess what I'm saying is that if I had to be stranded in one or the other, I'd rather get stranded in the timmies.

Thanks for the pic! And oh, you are almost out of honey.

What are those little cabinet looking things by the stove?

my wife is artsy, she puts together little stuff like that for decoration. I'll go get a closer picture.....

USCIS

NVC

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

Kermit the Frog

Yes, well since I'm a Starbucks person and you both are...ahem...not... Well, I suppose I'll leave you to your kind of people. Us Starbucks folks don't like to mingle much with your ilk, you know. All that denim and fleece, I guess.

Excuse me while I go pen a free verse poem about existential muskrats.

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

awww....there's only like 39kb left for pics......what a waste of five minutes..

Yes, well since I'm a Starbucks person and you both are...ahem...not... Well, I suppose I'll leave you to your kind of people. Us Starbucks folks don't like to mingle much with your ilk, you know. All that denim and fleece, I guess.

LOL perhaps you could expound on the elusive and oft misrepresented quality of natural eloquence......

Hey-I freely admit that starbucks has better coffee. It's just after listening to my wife's stories about customers orders and attitudes for years I've developed a distaste for rude/arrogant beamer driving soccermoms......call me prejudiced...

Timeline

Oh no! Wyatt -- you are NOT a downtown, hipster metrosexual! Your hair is not carefully quaffed while you grapple between Prada and Dolce while talking to your publicist on your Blackberry. But please, take out your Mac that you actually don't even know any key shortcuts for and order yourself the biggest, grande-frappucino half-calf, low-fat, vanilli, venti beverage you can while pretending to understand the intrinsic nihilistic components of existential mediocrity and self loathing!

;)

*adjusts fleece jacket, hikes up jeans and readjusts Blundstones, sips second cup medium roast*

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Oh no! Wyatt -- you are NOT a downtown, hipster metrosexual! Your hair is not carefully quaffed while you grapple between Prada and Dolce while talking to your publicist on your Blackberry. But please, take out your Mac that you actually don't even know any key shortcuts for and order yourself the biggest, grande-frappucino half-calf, low-fat, vanilli, venti beverage you can while pretending to understand the intrinsic nihilistic components of existential mediocrity and self loathing!

;)

*adjusts fleece jacket, hikes up jeans and readjusts Blundstones, sips second cup medium roast*

:rofl:

Hey-on the topic of dark poetry-How many emo kids does it take to screw in a light bulb? NONE. they just sit in the dark and CRY.

You know, in all honesty, I'm kinda smack dab in the middle of the Starbucks-type crowd and the Timmies crowd. I mean, I'm a huge hockey fan and typically wear jeans and a leather jacket...often have six o clock shadow etc....

Yet I'm also a widely published poet and have an extensive background in music production, have a wife who works at a major opera company etc. So I guess I'm a hybrid.

But I still like my coffee at Starbucks. ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.