Krikit

What's For Dinner - Part Deux

2,275 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Nah, I don't fry them. :\ I just coat them in olive oil, salt, and paprika then bake them for 20 minutes. I still haven't been able to perfect them and make them crispy, but they are still tasty. :)

I have never been able to make them crispy either. I think that requires pork fat and and a fryer :lol:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

OR.... cutting them super thin! Maybe Ill try match sticks size and put them in the oven for longer... of course they will likely be burnt and its like eating carcinogen... but its a healthy, fibrous carcinogen :P

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmm, I think I will try that tomorrow night - I have all of the ingredients on hand and it sounds like something Joe would like. Tonight I'm doing calves liver and onions with boiled potatoes and steamed carrots and coleslaw. We both love liver (I know, I know) so it is a special treat.

so I decided to make pozole.. this is the recipe I used...

Mexican Pozole

2 pounds lean beef, cubed

1 tablespoon olive oil (i just use the olive oil spray)

1 large onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup cilantro

1 can (15 ounces) stewed tomatoes

2 ounces tomato paste

1 can (1 pound 13 ounce) hominy, drained and rinsed

In a large pot, heat oil and saute beef. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper and enough water to cover beef. cover pot and cover low heat until meat is tender. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Continue cooking for about another 20 minutes. Add hominy and continue cooking for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, over low heat. If too thick, add water for desired consistency.

Option: skinless, boneless chicken breast may be used instead of beef.

**I used some celery and carrot too. I added it to the pot after I sauteed the beef.

you can serve it with with extra cilantro, radishes, shredded cabbage, red onion etc...

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Hmm, I think I will try that tomorrow night - I have all of the ingredients on hand and it sounds like something Joe would like. Tonight I'm doing calves liver and onions with boiled potatoes and steamed carrots and coleslaw. We both love liver (I know, I know) so it is a special treat.

I was just going to say that I pretty much followed the recipe but when I tasted it I felt it still needed something so I added a little chili powder, cumin and paprika... I thought it was really yummy!! hubby said it was good but I never know with him... :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

grr, tonight dinner was not good... :(

I made chicken in the crock pot while I was at work.. the recipe said I could cook it on low for 8 hours.. I used those big pieces of chicken, the ones with the drum and thigh together and I though it would be ok.. boy was I wrong.. the chicken got overcooked :crying: it was edible but barely..

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Thanks Carla - I made this last night...it didn't turn out quite as I expected, but tasty none the less. I think it might be good to have one of those hand blender/ puree thingys available to make the soup smoother?

Seems a little thick, even though I used skim milk and blended that with the flour. the carrots were a great addition! I'm thinking a little diced ham would be yummy too.

Oh Udella! I'm so sorry!!! I should have made mention that I used an immersion blender in it! When things are too thick, like a cream soup, I just use more milk. Ham would be great as well. Again, I'm so sorry I didn't mention that in my copying of the recipe!! :(

Last night we had ravioli and cesear salad. Tonight I'm going to make a beef pot pie from the roast been I cooked in the slow cooker on Monday. Have leftover veggies, roasted beef and gravy.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline
having leftover tomato soup tonight and both my son and husband asked that I make those Mccain smiles with them.

Ugh. I know you make yours homemade but I just wanted to mention that I hate the tinned tomato soup here..... it's so sugary. :dead: So now I make my own. Every once in a while I buy a bunch of tomatoes, slice them in half, sprinkle them with kosher salt and olive oil, then roast them in a 325o oven for 2 hours. Then I put them in mason jars and fill them with olive oil until I need them. I use the oil to fry my veggies when I make the soup so none of it goes to waste. OMG, it's so good. :luv:

I guess we will have hamburgers tonight - because that is one of the things we have and some homefries - do I sound as excited as I feel about that?

Yes. :lol:

Tonight we are having leftovers. I made the shepherd's pie last night, and we had it with peas. I also started some beef simmering in the crockpot with stock and a tin of tomatoes. I'm making a vegetable beef soup for tomorrow night.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was planning on introducing stuffed peppers to the husband's very limited dietary experience tonight, but since my avocados have fully ripened, I am making some Mexican inspired dinner instead. I am going to make quesadilla, grill some chicken, make guacamole and salsa!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Timeline

Hmm I don't know what's happening with dinner tonight. I need to run over to the school with the nanaimo bars and then go over to hockey practice. Perhaps it's rink fries tonight... ewww. :(

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I made 350 venison dumplings on Sunday, steamed. Put about 320 of them in the freezer.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

So I made Marilyn's Mexican Pozole for dinner. I used stewing beef, added peppers and shredded cabbage and used tomatoes from our garden (frozen) plus I took her advice about the spices and used Mrs. Dash's Southwest Chipotle blend. OMG - it is so good! Thanks for the recipe!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
So I made Marilyn's Mexican Pozole for dinner. I used stewing beef, added peppers and shredded cabbage and used tomatoes from our garden (frozen) plus I took her advice about the spices and used Mrs. Dash's Southwest Chipotle blend. OMG - it is so good! Thanks for the recipe!

glad you liked it ... :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.