SY2k9

Interview Experience - San Antonio Field Office

9 posts in this topic

I passed my Citizenship interview this afternoon :no: . The oath ceremony is scheduled for June 25th. Please note below details about the whole interview experience.

My interview appointment was for 2:15pm. My wife and I reached the USCIS field office at 1:35PM. We then had to go through security. You are not supposed to bring any camera enabled cell phones. My wife had to take the cell phones back to the car. One of the security guards then took my interview appointment letter and dropped it in a bin for a USCIS official to pick up. I was told that a USCIS adjudicator would call out my name and then have me accompany him/her to their office. I had to wait in a room on the first floor that mainly had people who had Infopass appointments. A USCIS adjudicator called out my name at 2:15 and asked me to accompany her to her office which was on the 3rd floor. The lady was extremely friendly.

Conversation during our transit to the office:

USCIS adjudicator: How are you doing today?

Me: Feel fine for the most part..but just have a touch of nerves.

USCIS adjudicator: Laughs! and mentions that she does not know why most interviewees have this problem.

She mentioned something about my English speaking ability too.

I started to feel pretty comfy around her as a result of this small talk. :no: She asked me to take a seat as soon as we entered the office. She then asked me to take an oath. She told me that it was fine to take the oath while sitting. She asked me for my Green card. She did not ask for my passport at all. I handed her my green card and the TX state drivers license. She then started to review the application. Asked a few questions like "Do you have a middle Initial" (I don't have one). She went over marriage questions. She asked me if I made any trips outside the US since I filed my application (I did not). She asked me all of the YES/NO questions. I had a few traffic violations and therefore indicated "Yes" to Part 10 Section D question 16. She indicated to me that you are supposed to answer "Yes" to that question no matter how small your traffic violation was. She made an off-the cuff remark mentioning something like " who does not have traffic tickets now a days". And then we started to talk about rush hour traffic in San Antonio. She asked me if I was comfortable taking the oath, to which I said "YES!!". She then asked me to write a few sentences (one of them had something about Lincoln). I cant remember the others. She asked me to read a few sentences. She then started asking me the civics questions:

1. When was the constitution written?

2. What was one problem that led to the civil war?

3. What ocean is on the East coast of the United States?

4. How many US senators do we have?

5. Name one state that borders Canada.

I cant remember the sixth one..She asked me to then write my name in full on what looked like a certificate. She also asked me to write my name on the photos and also Part 13 and 14 (oath requirements) of N-400. She mentioned that although the application asks that you enter your signature, you really are just supposed to write your name in a cursive fashion.

She then told me "Congrats" and handed me the N-652 which had "The congratulations section" checked. She then mentioned to me that I would receive my oath ceremony letter by mail. I indicated to her that a naturalization ceremony was scheduled for the 25th of June and I would appreciate it if she could accommodate me for the 25th. She said that she needed to check on that. She went and enquired with someone (who I think would have been her supervisor) and then came back to her desk and then stamped a red seal on my application and then took my application packet with her (she asked me the reason for the request.. I have to travel out of the country on business next month. I offered to show her a letter from my employer indicating the same. She told me that she does not need to see that). She then re-appeared 15 min later with my oath ceremony letter. Hurrah!! :no: I thanked her profusely for her gesture. She then led me out and walked with me downstairs.

Just as a FYI, someone air brushed my timeline under the April applicants list. Can someone please add me back?

04/02 Mailed N-400 via Fedex

04/06 Application delivered to USCIS office, Lewisville.

04/09 Check Cashed

04/11 NOA received by mail

04/20 FP appointment letter received

05/02 FP appointment

05/11 Interview letter received

06/18 Interview

06/25 Oath ceremony.

Thanks

:dance: :dance: CONGRATULATIONS :dance: :dance:

****ROC VSC****

Submitted I-751: 3/9/11

NOA1: 3/15/11

Biometrics Appointment:5/2/11

Early Bio Walk-In: 4/8/11

Approved: 9/23/11

Green Card Received: 9/30/11

My application was based on completion of 5 years as a PR. She asked me when I became a PR and then noticed that the interview was scheduled two days after I completed 5 years. I think there is some rule that you need to complete your 5 year limit before your interview date.

Congratulations :dance: :dance: :dance:

AOS: ND - June 5 2006 | RFE - June 15 2006 | FP Notice - June 30 (Rescheduled to Sept 16) | AP ND - August 14 2006| Walk-in FP - Sept 5 (FP cleared next day!) | Interview - Sept 8 2006 (Approved!) | Welcome Letter - Sept 13 | EAD received - Sept 19 (kinda moot since I'm waiting for GC) | GC received - Sept 23 2006 - Woohoo!!

I-751: 06/10/08 Mailed package to VSC direct (per memo instructions) not TSC. The wait begins... | 06/11/08 Package received at VSC (12.12pm) | 06/19/08 Check cashed | 06/20/08 Received NOA1 in the mail - ND is 06/17/08 | 07/10/08 Received Biometrics Appt Letter - ND is 7/7/08 | 07/22/08 Biometrics (had to do ink & paper also...) | 07/22/08 Touched | 07/23/08 Touched | 02/11/09 Transferred to CSC (got email)... | 02/12/09 Touched | 02/20/09 Touched (but no email) | 03/24/09 Approval letter arrives in the mail! Approval date is 3/18/09 from VSC | 04/03/09 Received card, postmarked 3/31 from CSC

N-400: 06/11/09 Mailed to Lewisville Lockbox | 06/12/09 Package received at Lockbox and signed for at 1.31pm | 06/18/09 Check Cashed | 06/19/09 NOA, PD 06/12/09 | 07/06/09 Biometrics letter received, ND is 07/02/09 | 07/24/09 Biometrics appointment | 08/06/09 IL received, ND 08/03/09 | Interview 09/14/09 at 9.30am (approved!) | Oath 10/21/09 | USC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Congratulations, and thanks for the great summary of your interview experience! :thumbs:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi SY2k9,

Congratulations on passing your Citizenship interview! Thanks for sharing your interview experience here.

Onwards to the Oath Ceremony next for you!

Ant

I passed my Citizenship interview this afternoon :no: . The oath ceremony is scheduled for June 25th. Please note below details about the whole interview experience.

My interview appointment was for 2:15pm. My wife and I reached the USCIS field office at 1:35PM. We then had to go through security. You are not supposed to bring any camera enabled cell phones. My wife had to take the cell phones back to the car. One of the security guards then took my interview appointment letter and dropped it in a bin for a USCIS official to pick up. I was told that a USCIS adjudicator would call out my name and then have me accompany him/her to their office. I had to wait in a room on the first floor that mainly had people who had Infopass appointments. A USCIS adjudicator called out my name at 2:15 and asked me to accompany her to her office which was on the 3rd floor. The lady was extremely friendly.

Conversation during our transit to the office:

USCIS adjudicator: How are you doing today?

Me: Feel fine for the most part..but just have a touch of nerves.

USCIS adjudicator: Laughs! and mentions that she does not know why most interviewees have this problem.

She mentioned something about my English speaking ability too.

I started to feel pretty comfy around her as a result of this small talk. :no: She asked me to take a seat as soon as we entered the office. She then asked me to take an oath. She told me that it was fine to take the oath while sitting. She asked me for my Green card. She did not ask for my passport at all. I handed her my green card and the TX state drivers license. She then started to review the application. Asked a few questions like "Do you have a middle Initial" (I don't have one). She went over marriage questions. She asked me if I made any trips outside the US since I filed my application (I did not). She asked me all of the YES/NO questions. I had a few traffic violations and therefore indicated "Yes" to Part 10 Section D question 16. She indicated to me that you are supposed to answer "Yes" to that question no matter how small your traffic violation was. She made an off-the cuff remark mentioning something like " who does not have traffic tickets now a days". And then we started to talk about rush hour traffic in San Antonio. She asked me if I was comfortable taking the oath, to which I said "YES!!". She then asked me to write a few sentences (one of them had something about Lincoln). I cant remember the others. She asked me to read a few sentences. She then started asking me the civics questions:

1. When was the constitution written?

2. What was one problem that led to the civil war?

3. What ocean is on the East coast of the United States?

4. How many US senators do we have?

5. Name one state that borders Canada.

I cant remember the sixth one..She asked me to then write my name in full on what looked like a certificate. She also asked me to write my name on the photos and also Part 13 and 14 (oath requirements) of N-400. She mentioned that although the application asks that you enter your signature, you really are just supposed to write your name in a cursive fashion.

She then told me "Congrats" and handed me the N-652 which had "The congratulations section" checked. She then mentioned to me that I would receive my oath ceremony letter by mail. I indicated to her that a naturalization ceremony was scheduled for the 25th of June and I would appreciate it if she could accommodate me for the 25th. She said that she needed to check on that. She went and enquired with someone (who I think would have been her supervisor) and then came back to her desk and then stamped a red seal on my application and then took my application packet with her (she asked me the reason for the request.. I have to travel out of the country on business next month. I offered to show her a letter from my employer indicating the same. She told me that she does not need to see that). She then re-appeared 15 min later with my oath ceremony letter. Hurrah!! :no: I thanked her profusely for her gesture. She then led me out and walked with me downstairs.

Just as a FYI, someone air brushed my timeline under the April applicants list. Can someone please add me back?

04/02 Mailed N-400 via Fedex

04/06 Application delivered to USCIS office, Lewisville.

04/09 Check Cashed

04/11 NOA received by mail

04/20 FP appointment letter received

05/02 FP appointment

05/11 Interview letter received

06/18 Interview

06/25 Oath ceremony.

Thanks

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Congratulations! Two more days till you reach the end of this very journey! :thumbs:

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.