laureldevine

insurance question

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have read on VJ previously that the beneficiary for the K1 process will need to show proof of having 1 year paid health insurance.

Is this accurate?

If so, at which point of our filing process will we need to get this? We are just sending out our petition.

Also, does anyone know what Insurance companies offer this??

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Where did you read that? I have never heard that before...Can you post a link to where you "read that on VJ"?

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

I have read on VJ previously that the beneficiary for the K1 process will need to show proof of having 1 year paid health insurance.

Is this accurate?

If so, at which point of our filing process will we need to get this? We are just sending out our petition.

No, that's not true. I too would like to see a link to that post.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Is this accurate?

Nik completed his interview in London at the beginning of this month, and they didn't mention anything at all about health insurance.

It is a WISE thing to have some sort of health insurance lined up for when you get here. Even if your fiance(e) has health insurance through work which can be extended to spouses, there is the time before you get married and then until the insurance becomes active to consider -- additionally, some require that you are a permanent resident. It is never a good idea to spend any time without coverage - car accidents etc. can come at ANY time.

I can only speculate, but perhaps the comment was offered in regards to an existing health condition and proving that they will not become a public charge??

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I can only speculate, but perhaps the comment was offered in regards to an existing health condition and proving that they will not become a public charge??

I don't think that's a possibility either. I've never heard anything about a fiance(e) needed more than to be above poverty guidelines regardless of the beneficiary condition. I don't think they could deny a visa for that either. As long as the american (or the co-sponsor) are above guidelines, financially you shouldn't have a problem getting the visa. I see your point Heather (this is heather right, and not nik?), but I don't think that's a reason to be denied. At least not one that I have heard of.

I agree with you though, it's always a good idea to have insurance, but it's not a requirement. I will recommend that you get travel insurance for the flight at least (at the US) that way if the airline loses your bags you can at least get money!

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Is this accurate?

No, not true. Health insurance is not a requirement at all.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Is this accurate?

Nik completed his interview in London at the beginning of this month, and they didn't mention anything at all about health insurance.

It is a WISE thing to have some sort of health insurance lined up for when you get here. Even if your fiance(e) has health insurance through work which can be extended to spouses, there is the time before you get married and then until the insurance becomes active to consider -- additionally, some require that you are a permanent resident. It is never a good idea to spend any time without coverage - car accidents etc. can come at ANY time.

No. There is no provision requiring health insurance even for pre-existing conditions, the I-134 and I-864 cover the government's @ss and otherwise they couldn;t care less if you die in the street from a pre-existing condition. It is not required.

The only legitimate thing I can think of os that some people use being listed on the spouses health insurance as "evidence" for the AOS or lifting of conditions, but agaon, it is not "required" even for that.

The again, VJ has no test of knowledge before someone posts and I notice sometimes people make errors. :whistle:

Gary And Alla

Yes, I meant that that may have been the context of the post the OP had read. I thought I had read something similar, but can't remember exactly or be bothered to dig it up. Some people come up with "out of the box" solutions to somehow show that they won't become a public charge. If I hadn't read any directions, I may have thought along those lines as well.

I thought twice about saying anything regarding the words "I can only speculate" Probably should have thought a third time. :blush:

And yes, this is Heather...We share the account, but I suppose I should make sure I take credit when I might be smearing Nik's good rep around here. :jest:

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline
Yes, I meant that that may have been the context of the post the OP had read. I thought I had read something similar, but can't remember exactly or be bothered to dig it up. Some people come up with "out of the box" solutions to somehow show that they won't become a public charge. If I hadn't read any directions, I may have thought along those lines as well.

I thought twice about saying anything regarding the words "I can only speculate" Probably should have thought a third time. :blush:

And yes, this is Heather...We share the account, but I suppose I should make sure I take credit when I might be smearing Nik's good rep around here. :jest:

No worries...Nick ruins his own reputation! :lol:

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.