JANETandLYLE

Fiance went for Exam and Did Not pass Sputum Test

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok, I'm not sure I'm settled down to talk about this, but figured I might get some insight into this from someone here on Visajourney. My fiance was advised at St. Luke's that there is an issue with her spatum test on the xray. Can anyone share any experiences in this area with me? She has to go back next week June 22, 23, and the 25th to have this checked. Any idea's? I'm maybe getting upset over nothing, but I thought I would ask here as maybe some have dealt with this themselves. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I'm feeling very sick to my stomach right now. Thanks...

Timeline

Lyle,

I am a doctor. Your beloved shows signs that she is presently culturing (a medical term) bacteria or viruses that have to do with all sorts of respiratory tract (contagious) infections. Common to these are tubercolosis, pneumonia, bronchitis, among others which I will not elaborate. Failing a sputum test means that she is "possibly" in the way to or have had any of the above in the past but she never totally healed. Not to worry since these are all directly cured now. To clear the lungs, medications and proper diet are normally prescribed. She can do to a doctor. The treatment usually takes away the symptoms in a week or so. HOWEVER, since this is a sputum testing issues for visa requirement, I would guess St. Luke's would ask her to come back 3 months AFTER medications AT THE MOST. This depends on the gravity of the bacterial culture found during her sputum test.

I am certain that St. Luke's Medical Center have given her advise on what to do. They are detailed on that.

Ask me anything if you want. But I say, not to worry, this is not an issue without a cure.

Edited by higherground

Mr. and Mrs. Jaime Ferdinand Espiritu

request the honor of your presence

at the marriage of their daughter

Angelie Helena

to

Gregory William Preston

Thursday, the Fifth of November

Two Thousand and Nine

at Six O'clock in the Evening

Preston Estate

Wetherington Drive, Cincinnati

Timeline
Lyle,

I am a doctor. Your beloved shows signs that she is presently culturing (a medical term) bacteria or viruses that have to do with all sorts of respiratory tract (contagious) infections. Common to these are tubercolosis, pneumonia, bronchitis, among others which I will not elaborate. Failing a sputum test means that she is "possibly" in the way to or have had any of the above in the past but she never totally healed. Not to worry since these are all directly cured now. To clear the lungs, medications and proper diet are normally prescribed. She can do to a doctor. The treatment usually takes away the symptoms in a week or so. HOWEVER, since this is a sputum testing issues for visa requirement, I would guess St. Luke's would ask her to come back 3 months AFTER medications AT THE MOST. This depends on the gravity of the bacterial culture found during her sputum test.

I am certain that St. Luke's Medical Center have given her advise on what to do. They are detailed on that.

Ask me anything if you want. But I say, not to worry, this is not an issue without a cure.

Thank you so much for the replies. I forgot to mention she had a cold about a week ago also. It sounds as though she will probably be fine then. I just got really upset thinking what if we can't be together now. This is a long journey for anyone who falls in love, and to think that due to something like this we could never be together just crushes me inside. I must do a lot of praying about this now. The replies are so precious to me that i can not express my appreciation. My Fiance appears so healthy and is very cautious always with her health, that is why it threw me for a loop. Thank You very much.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Lyle,

Yep! :thumbs:

From reading past posts on this subject, they usually prescribe medication and ask the applicant to return in a few months to re-test.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Thank you so much for the replies. I forgot to mention she had a cold about a week ago also. It sounds as though she will probably be fine then. I just got really upset thinking what if we can't be together now. This is a long journey for anyone who falls in love, and to think that due to something like this we could never be together just crushes me inside. I must do a lot of praying about this now. The replies are so precious to me that i can not express my appreciation. My Fiance appears so healthy and is very cautious always with her health, that is why it threw me for a loop. Thank You very much.

You are quite welcome Lyle. Yet I am going to ask, is she a smoker? If so, please tell her to stop. Start drinking WARM liquids. WARM EVERYTHING. No cold liquids from this second on.

Mr. and Mrs. Jaime Ferdinand Espiritu

request the honor of your presence

at the marriage of their daughter

Angelie Helena

to

Gregory William Preston

Thursday, the Fifth of November

Two Thousand and Nine

at Six O'clock in the Evening

Preston Estate

Wetherington Drive, Cincinnati

Timeline

You are quite welcome Lyle. Yet I am going to ask, is she a smoker? If so, please tell her to stop. Start drinking WARM liquids. WARM EVERYTHING. No cold liquids from this second on.

She is NOT a smoker nor ever has been a smoker! I will text her now to give her this news. Thank you so much for everything. Maybe now I can sleep tonight.

Timeline

If you fail a sputum test I'm pretty sure St Lukes will require you to take meds for 6 months (don't recall the name of the meds, but you take it for 6 months). After that you get tested again. On a side note my (then) fiancee had to take a sputum test because her X-ray was "suspicious" & if I recall correctly the sputum culture took about 2 months to grow (negative results). However what really pisses me off is that she got an X-ray here in the US & there wasn't any abnormality, which means we waited an extra 2 months for nothing!

After re-reading your post I believe what you are saying is that they found something on the X-Ray and you are going back for the sputum test, which takes 3 days (basically you spit in a jar or something on 3 consecutive days). Like I said it takes about 2 months for the sputum results to be known, so you will be in a holding pattern during that time.

Edited by nowhereman
FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

i have a friend who went a sputum test and waited for two months for the result of the culture. If the result turn positive then she have to wait for six months because of the treatment....

But lets pray it turns out negative after two months. If you have scheduled interview,her interview will be rescheduled by the St. Lukes..

Nothing to worry about,its nothing serious. Its common that i see people who undergo sputum if they ( st.Lukes) happen to see abnormalities in the xray..

oh by the way my friend is non smoker,she has no past history of tuberculoses. When i asked how possible it happened,its maybe because she has no sleep yet and she is working on a graveyard shift....

Edited by gennyangel

October 26, 2009 >AOS package sent thru USPS priority mail (day1)

October 29, 2009 >Item delivered Chicago IL, 60680 (Recieved Date) (day4)

November 3, 2009 >Notice date for I-485, I-131, I-765 (NOA's) (day9)

November 6, 2009 >Recieved in the Mail (day12)

November 6, 2009 >Touched (day12)

November 6, 2009 >Notice date for biometrics letter (day12)

November 26, 2009 >Biometrics letter recieved (Appointment date: Nov.27) (day32)

November 27, 2009 >Biometrics Appointment Done (day33)

November 27, 2009 >Touched :D(day33)

December 16, 2009 >Touched EAD "Card Production Ordered" (day53)

December 16, 2009 >Touched AP (day53)

December 17, 2009 >Touched EAD (day54)

December 17, 2009 >Touched AP (day54)

December 18, 2009 >Touched AP (day55)

December 21, 2009 >Recieved Advanced parole in the mail (day58)

December 21, 2009 >Touched EAD"Card production ordered" (day58)

February 04, 2010 > Interview @ 12:30 pm,done and approved (day103)

February 11, 2010 > Welcome Letter Aarrived

February 16, 2010 > GC Recieved

Timeline
If you fail a sputum test I'm pretty sure St Lukes will require you to take meds for 6 months (don't recall the name of the meds, but you take it for 6 months). After that you get tested again. On a side note my (then) fiancee had to take a sputum test because her X-ray was "suspicious" & if I recall correctly the sputum culture took about 2 months to grow (negative results). However what really pisses me off is that she got an X-ray here in the US & there wasn't any abnormality, which means we waited an extra 2 months for nothing!

She goes to Manila again next week so I will have to rely on their Doctor(s) to make the right call on this one. Whatever we must do to be together, we will do! It's been five years now, so a few months either way won't hurt us. I felt so helpless when she texted me about this, and I didn't know how to advise her. My Mother just phoned me and my Step Father's sister is a nurse who also said the same thing as Higherground said. I feel so much better now. It's people like you all that make this site what it is, and I'm so gracious to each and every one of you. I will always try to help others when I can.

Edited by JANETandLYLE

Timeline

She goes to Manila again next week so I will have to rely on their Doctor(s) to make the right call on this one. Whatever we must do to be together, we will do! It's been five years now, so a few months either way won't hurt us. I felt so helpless when she texted me about this, and I didn't know how to advise her. My Mother just phoned me and my Step Father's sister is a nurse who also said the same thing as Higherground said. I feel so much better now. It's people like you all that make this site what it is, and I'm so gracious to each and every one of you. I will always try to help others when I can.

It was a sucky 2 months for me & my fiancee, but it all seems so long ago now (but it was less than a year ago). I did some research on the subject and basically there is TB infection & TB disease. TB infection is not contagious & you can come to the US with it... in fact I'm pretty sure most filipinos have TB infection. However if your sputum test comes up positive then you have TB disease & that is contagious. In this case you have to take a certain medication for 6 months & I believe you are quarantined in a hospital as well (not sure about this). Anyways after the 6 months you are tested again & if negative you are OK to get a visa.

Lets hope the sputum test comes up negative... good luck!

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline
Ok, I'm not sure I'm settled down to talk about this, but figured I might get some insight into this from someone here on Visajourney. My fiance was advised at St. Luke's that there is an issue with her spatum test on the xray. Can anyone share any experiences in this area with me? She has to go back next week June 22, 23, and the 25th to have this checked. Any idea's? I'm maybe getting upset over nothing, but I thought I would ask here as maybe some have dealt with this themselves. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I'm feeling very sick to my stomach right now. Thanks...

I don't know if your fiancee has the same as what my fiancee has. She mentioned something about a chest xray. The first time she went, they said for her to take some drugs and return a month from then. Last visit was June 12th which she failed and she's due to go again in another month. This will be the 3rd time. So for her to return on the 22nd isn't bad. We've lost 2 months. Hopefully your fiancee will have better results. Good luck

11-24-08 sent i-129 (VSC)

12-05-08 check cashed

12-08-08 received NOA 1

03-23-09 i-129f approved per online status - no email notice

03-31-09 recieved NOA 2

04-01-09 NVC IN

04-02-09 NVC OUT

04-10-09 to 05-01-09 2nd visit to Laos

04-23-09 Arrives at USEM

05-04-09 fiancee picks up packet at USEM

05-12, 6-12 and 7-13 Medical

09-30-09 Interview - Passed but they wanted copy of my passport of the 2nd visit

10-08-09 Visa issued

10-18-09 POE - Newark, NJ

10-26-09 Applied for marriage license

10-31-09 Recd license

11-13-09 Wedding

11-16-09 Applied for SSN

11-21-09 Recd SSN

12-05-09 Sent AOS

Timeline

I don't know if your fiancee has the same as what my fiancee has. She mentioned something about a chest xray. The first time she went, they said for her to take some drugs and return a month from then. Last visit was June 12th which she failed and she's due to go again in another month. This will be the 3rd time. So for her to return on the 22nd isn't bad. We've lost 2 months. Hopefully your fiancee will have better results. Good luck

BokGao, I wish your Fiance and yourself all the luck in the world, my prayers are with you both. I don't want to read too much into this thing yet, anyway. I'm planning on doing whatever we must to be together. This has been the only point that really scared me, and is the first time I thought that there was a chance I could never be with this girl. I was feeling so sick right then. I'm confident at this stage something good will come of all this. The time it takes to work things out is what it takes. We will wait for each other. I've never felt the way i felt after I got that news initially, just sick to my stomach. I have empathy for others in bad situations even more so now, because I know that feeling.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi there!if she had a cold prior to her medical exam, then i guess that's not a problem. if i were her, i'll get another x_ray test from different hospital, just to make sure what is really wrong, because sometimes st.luke's causes a delay....actually, what i did was i had an x-ray exam from different hospital before i had mine in st. luke's because i wanted to make sure, i have nothing to worry about....

hi there!if she had a cold prior to her medical exam, then i guess that's not a problem. if i were her, i'll get another x_ray test from different hospital, just to make sure what is really wrong, because sometimes st.luke's causes a delay....actually, what i did was i had an x-ray exam from different hospital before i had mine in st. luke's because i wanted to make sure, i have nothing to worry about....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i also underwent a 2 months waiting for the sputum results.i also had cough and colds when i had my medical exams at SLEC,they found an abnormality on my xray that's why i was asked to have the 3 day tests and wait for 60 days.if during the waiting period she didnt get any calls from st luke's,she'll be asked to proceed with her immunization,but if they'll call her,it's more likely that she'll need to take medicines for 6-8mos.me and my husband were so devastated when we learned about the additional waiting time for us to be together,i know how u feel,but after this,what you have experienced will just be a memory of the past,most of the time,things like this happen because it has it's own purpose.just continue to give ur support to her,she need it the most now.

goodluck to both of u.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.