perlitica

affidavit of support while living/working in fiance´s country

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello! I just filed the K1 Fiance Visa, and according to Visajourney´s calculations, the petition should be accepted between August 25 and September 15. We´re thinking the interview date will be in October. In July I will be moving to Costa Rica to live with my fiance, be there for his interview, and then hopefully come back to California together once he is given his visa. I will be working, teaching English while I´m there. What I´m wondering is, will it be a problem when it comes to turning in the affidavit of support? obviously, i won´t be living in the US so I will only have job info for my job in CR. will it be enough to show our combined savings and bank statements? if so, how much would be a good amount to have to prove to them that we have enough to be fine coming back to the US. ? if not, would it work if we had a co-sponsor? eeep! help!

thank you for reading and hope to hear back soon!

perla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Assets are calculated at a 3:1 ratio. That would mean that you need at a minimum $55K (3 x 18,212) in the bank.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Timeline
Assets are calculated at a 3:1 ratio. That would mean that you need at a minimum $55K (3 x 18,212) in the bank.

do you i have to have all that money in the bank or just a job that will bring in 18,212 a year? What if my fiance is coming in with hardly anything? And what if they say that we don´t have enough? What are the options in that case?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You would need to demonstrate that you have current income that would be at least 18,212 per year. You could prove that through recent paystubs and a letter verifying position and earnings from your employer.

Fiance's assets can be used at the 3:1 ratio to make up a short fall in income.

Arrange for a co-sponsor if income is a problem. You will also need to satisfy the I-864 affidavit of support when adjusting status after marriage. Do some reading of the forms to familiarize yourself with the requirements.

I-134

I-864

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

do you i have to have all that money in the bank or just a job that will bring in 18,212 a year? What if my fiance is coming in with hardly anything? And what if they say that we don´t have enough? What are the options in that case?

For income to be considered it must be income that will continue... If you are working abroad and moving to the US, then your foreign based income will not be considered because it will not continue. You will need to establish yourself back in the USA before or get a co-sponsor

YMMV

Moving to CR is actually something you should seriously consider; you may want to stay in the US. I was living in the DR and returned to work in the US specifically for the affidavit of support. Of course, when I made this decision, I had already been living abroad for a year, so my savings had been somewhat depleted and my most recent tax documentation indicated a low gross income for the year. And, I did not want a co-sponsor for the AOS stage. And, we did not to add financial limitations to the already difficult process my SO will face adjusting to living in a new country to which his family cannot travel.

You may wish to request a leave of absence from your current employer (if you work in a field that contemplates such luxuries), so that you will be able to obtain the statement of an employer required by I-134, when the time comes. That will be helpful for you when you are required to complete I-184 during the AOS process too.

Note: I am not giving you a recommendation, just encouraging you to seriously consider your decision. Lots of people have no or low income and they are ok. Plus, it means you get to be with your SO the whole time you wait, which is pretty great.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Can you include money you have currently in the stock market? How about 401k? I'm currently not employed and living in my SO's country as well. i'm going back soon to look for a job but in this market who knows what i'll have prior to her interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.