thetreble

Raise in Unemployment Benifits makes some ineligable for food stamps

112 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unemployment Benifits and Food Stamps

I just thought it was interesting in reading through this story that this guy who is the main focus of the story makes $1,538.00/month on unemployment. That was just about what I was making per month last year when I was working full time as an assistant. Doesn't that seem like an awful lot to you to be complaining about not receiving hundreds of dollars worth of food stamps? For a two person family, it seems like a lot.

I really know nothing about unemployment even though I was on it for a few months once I moved to the US. Maybe some of you can enlighten me on unemployment here in the US.

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

I guess for us, that wouldn't pay rent & our car payment so if that was the only income coming in.. we'd still need foodstamps.. but this is CT home of everything costing loads and you getting very little for it :(

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Interesting. I personally think 1500 a month is a great sum to be getting for unemployment benefits, however, I assume it is based on your income and there is some percentage calculation on your earnings over a period - so, anyone is going to take a big cut in their wages. I imagine most people don't complain about it though - at least to the newspaper.

I guess they had to find someone in that position to write a story on.

Timeline
That would leave me with 100.00 a month after my rent. I'd need food stamps.

Yes, of course, although they do live in the South and not where we live where 1 bedrooms start at 1200/month. But you also have a second income, as do i. Even cable is cheaper down there. I was paying a leg and an arm more in New Jersey than my brother who was living in South Carolina at the time.

It's probably not a lot of money relatively speaking...but...he said he lives in a two person family so if that other person is over the age of 18, they need to get a job! :lol:

Not as easy as it looks, I know.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

yikes - I used to pay about $900 in rent alone for a 2 bedroom for myself and daughter - and that was pretty average - at least it included utilities - think it would be a lean month or I'd need some food stamps :)

I used to get mother's allowance when my daughter was really small and I waitressed - I couldn't have made it without it even though I was decent;ly educated - I'm pretty thankful it was around when I needed it

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Off topic Question: Is your sponsor allowed to apply for food stamps? I thought they couldnt ask for government assistance.... just wondering.

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Timeline
Off topic Question: Is your sponsor allowed to apply for food stamps? I thought they couldnt ask for government assistance.... just wondering.

They can't since you have to meet a certain amount of income.

This is completely unrelated to immigration.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Borderdriver,

Yes, the sponsor, provided that they are a USC and meet certain income requirements, can have food stamps.

The immigrant though, cannot get food stamps, despite income, as food stamps are a federal "means tested benefit" only for USCs.

And under the I-864 affidavit of support agreement, if an immigrant gets such (though they won't allow for such anyways), it will have to be repaid and/or they will have other serious consequences....

Lol...yet another reason to become a USC.... :whistle:

Ant

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

AHHh I See.

I thought sponsors cannot qualify b/c they are a sponsor. lol. alrighty then.

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Hi Borderdriver,

Lol....The sponsor: is responsible for the immigrant if/when they get means-tested benefits, not if they themselves get benefits.

The sponsor has to be is above a certain income (above the poverty level) to sponsor an immigrant. But that doesn't mean that they can't be below another income requirement or meet other requirements for federal benefits. Immigration is one matter. Federal benefits are another matter. There is definitely a distinction between those two different income guidelines and/or requirements.

The sponsor themselves can get any federal means-tested benefit (including food stamps), as they have no obligations to pay those back the government, since they are a citizens and have a "right" to get such (lol..federal government's rules, not mine), compared to immigrants.

As long as they meet certain income, residency, and other guidelines to get those benefits, then they can have such. Each program and/or each state has different requirements, so they would have to inquire specifically about getting any such benefits.

Trust me...;) The USC sponsor (or heck, any other USC) can get US federal benefits....:)

Hope this helps too.

Ant

AHHh I See.

I thought sponsors cannot qualify b/c they are a sponsor. lol. alrighty then.

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

I'm not trying to be a dickhead here or anything but if I'm the government, and you're on food stamps, I'm not going to let you bring someone to the US and be responsible for them.

Ant-Do you have any links to support that you can get food stamps, welfare or unemployment and still sponsor someone who will be completely dependent on you to immigrate? I just have a hard time believing that.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

f. Sponsor Use of Benefits . Question 4B of the September 26, 2000 version of the Form I-864 asks if the sponsor or any member of his or her household has used means-tested benefits during the past 3 years. Do not disqualify a sponsor based on a positive response to this question. The reason for this question is to ensure that the value of any such means-tested public benefits is not considered as income on the Affidavit of Support. Federal means-tested benefits currently include SSI (Supplemental Security income), TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), food stamps, Medicaid, and State Child Health Insurance Programs (SCHIP). State and local means-tested benefits vary by jurisdiction. Earned benefits such as Social Security retirement, Unemployment Compensation, and Workman’s Compensation may be included as income.

Adjudicator's Field Manual - Redacted Public Version \ Chapter 20 Immigrants in General \ Enforceable Affidavits of Support.[Revised as of 06/27/2006]

Hi Thetreble and Everyone,

Lol...I'm here in the USA and am responsible enough....enough said... :whistle:

And yet the government doesn't think that as immigrants, regardless of situation, are "responsble" enough to be in the USA unless they are "citizens"....And so goes the I-864, and the rest of the costly immigration process with the USCIS.....#######......

What makes an Immigrant less financially responsible than a USC? Whatever..... :blink:

See that's the problem with the government...just because they think that one has to "live according to their financial standards and guidelines", doesn't mean that everyone has to live this way. As long as one is responsible for their own personal finances and can pay the bills, that's all that matters financially, really....

Look at those "fraud marriages" out there, with those couples being financially stable but not relationship stable, and yet the government lets those people into the country.....Irresponsible...

Whatever happened to "genuine love" as a determining factor for immigration? It's not just about the finances!

Look at those "rich big-name companies" out there, who got themselves into their financial mess, and yet the government bails those businesses out of debt and bankruptcy....Irresponsible.....

Whatever happened to helping out "the little poor guy" out there, who work hard for their money, barely able to make ends meet?

Look at how the government is wasting their money/time fighting international "terrorists".....Irresponsible...

Whatever happened to "helping out domestically", with better healthcare, education, jobs, etc. for people in its own country?

And at the same time the government takes enough money from its people, from taxes, and by other means. Do they have any qualms about that?

So why should they get away that and yet give them a hard time about getting benefits, when they truly deserve it, especially such hard financial times and when one really needs this kind of help?

As for links to get government benefits, simply google that for a specific program and/or state, and you can find more detailed info there....

Just my thoughts.....

Ant

I'm not trying to be a dickhead here or anything but if I'm the government, and you're on food stamps, I'm not going to let you bring someone to the US and be responsible for them.

Ant-Do you have any links to support that you can get food stamps, welfare or unemployment and still sponsor someone who will be completely dependent on you to immigrate? I just have a hard time believing that.

Edited by AntandD

Hi Trailmix and Everyone,

Thanks for the info and link, Trailmix, as I'm sure many others appreciate this...

Yup....just as it says..."Do not disqualify a sponsor based on a positive of his or her household has used means-tested benefits....Do not disqualify a sponsor based on a positive response to this question..."

So yes, sponsors can get benefits....and can still be sponsors....:) (and they meet the other poverty-line income guidelines too).

As long as the immigrant doesn't get benefits...that's all that the immigration folks are concerned about....

Ant

f. Sponsor Use of Benefits . Question 4B of the September 26, 2000 version of the Form I-864 asks if the sponsor or any member of his or her household has used means-tested benefits during the past 3 years. Do not disqualify a sponsor based on a positive response to this question. The reason for this question is to ensure that the value of any such means-tested public benefits is not considered as income on the Affidavit of Support. Federal means-tested benefits currently include SSI (Supplemental Security income), TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), food stamps, Medicaid, and State Child Health Insurance Programs (SCHIP). State and local means-tested benefits vary by jurisdiction. Earned benefits such as Social Security retirement, Unemployment Compensation, and Workman's Compensation may be included as income.

Adjudicator's Field Manual - Redacted Public Version \ Chapter 20 Immigrants in General \ Enforceable Affidavits of Support.[Revised as of 06/27/2006]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.