Jauque

Freaking out about visit...

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I spend way to much time reading horror storys about people trying to visit each other while waiting on a K1.In April I booked flights for June 25th to July 9th to see my baby, time has been moving too slowly however and in a moment of absurd weakness I spent 600 dollars to change my flight to June 20th to July 9th now I have this sick feeling that I'm going to get denied because 19 days is going to look like too long.

My other problem is that I've been staying with my parents to save money so I don't have a lease or a mortgage. My four year old daughter is staying with my sister while I'm gone so I thought I would get her to sign a paper about how she expects me back on the ninth. Sould I get that notorized? I had my fiance send me a copy of the NOA1 not the original. Here's a list of what I'm taking as ties to home can anyone look at it and see if it looks insufficient or recommend anything else :

1) Copy of NOA1

2) Letter from my sister who's watching my daughter.

3) Pay stubs

4) Bank Statements

5) Return Flight Itinierary

I'm also concerned that bringing too much will look like I'm trying to hard, so I'm trying to stick to the basics.

Any help muchly appreciated.

Edited by Jauque

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

See below:

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. See above

2. Don't think you're bringing too much & that looks like you're trying too hard. It's better to be prepared, than to not have enough.

You're going to be fine. :)

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

Hey there...

I know the feeling about that, it's scary! But 19 days is not long at all and as long as you're honest with the officer and you have all your ties to Canada, you'll be fine.

I just crossed last week and had no issues at all. The guard just asked me where I was going and when I'd be back and it was a snap. I worried a lot for nothing. BUT, in saying that, I will never cross the boarder pre-visa again without letters from my work, letters from the place I rent and a few bills and bank statements.

For the small amount of time it took to compile these items, it saves a lot of peace of mind. I also travel with just a carry-on bag as well which I'm sure helps.

It's normal to freak out but just go prepared. It's 19 days, not long at all. Dont' travel with anything suspicious though like resumes or items that you'd want to leave in the US like household stuff.

I wanted to bring a suitcase of stuff to leave with my husband but that sets of red flags and I can't bear the thought of being turned away.

You'll be fine. Just be honest, bring you letters of ties to Canada and pack light. Oh and the list/information in the first post is bang on.

Good luck and let us know how it went, okay?

best,

LGG

Edited by lgg

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

I wanted to bring a suitcase of stuff to leave with my husband but that sets of red flags and I can't bear the thought of being turned away.

I want to do that too (I'm going for a visit in August), but I don't think I will.. I'd much rather deal with bringing an extra suitcase later, than to try to bring one now and raise an issue, and get denied entry! I don't know what I'd do if that were to happen... it'd be hard for me to stay polite :lol:

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

I was originally planning on bringing my laptop or personal dvd player but I think i'm going to jsut bring my purse and a small suitcase which I think can be called carry-on. Thanks for all the advice. I'm feeling more confident today, my only concern now is whether to say visitng my fiance or boyfriend. I don't think it really matters but I'm a horrible liar and if I say boyfriend and get asked additional questions I know I will get tongue tied and end up feeling like a liar and looking like a liar. So I will likely just say fiance and deal with the repricussions of that. Before we started this process I had almost no problems getting through customs but then it was boyfriend.

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Say you are visiting your fiance. You will have in the papers you bring a copy of the NOA1 so that proves your intention of going through the correct immigration process. If you say 'boyfriend' and you feel uncomfortable they will notice and they could think you are not telling the whole truth. Be honest. You are visiting your fiance.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Hey again...

That has always been my issue. For all the years I've been with my husband (husband only for the past 7 months) I have never said boyfriend, fiance or anything. I have said 'going on holiday, staying in such and such place...' ready to extrapolate if need be but I have never been questioned further. Never. Not once. I know people say not to to lie. But it's not a lie and I have never lied to the people at the borders. I have just never been asked to go into further detail so, I haven't.

It's still an issue as I do feel like maybe I should but I will tell them the entire truth if asked but I start from the most minute point and move up from there Nothing is a lie, it's just not in the greatest detail ever.

Again, it helps I believe that I travel only with a carry -on and purse and nothing else and always have a return ticket. You have to tell yourself too that your're not doing anything wrong. Just be prepared if the line of questioning does lead you to the point of having to show your letters of ties to Canada.

best of luck, Jauque.... I know your fear well.

:)

LGG

I was originally planning on bringing my laptop or personal dvd player but I think i'm going to jsut bring my purse and a small suitcase which I think can be called carry-on. Thanks for all the advice. I'm feeling more confident today, my only concern now is whether to say visitng my fiance or boyfriend. I don't think it really matters but I'm a horrible liar and if I say boyfriend and get asked additional questions I know I will get tongue tied and end up feeling like a liar and looking like a liar. So I will likely just say fiance and deal with the repricussions of that. Before we started this process I had almost no problems getting through customs but then it was boyfriend.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

I have been flying to see my SO for a year now and everytime I go I bring a suitcase and a carryon and the suitcase has been loaded with clothes and stuff so that I have to ship less when I move. The longest I have stayed is 2 weeks and last time I went for 4 days and had a suitcase full. I crossed at the Peace Bridge by bus and no one gave me a hassle about what was coming in with me. And my suitcase contained way more than what I needed for 4 days.. lol I even brought my rollerblades and a vase. And as for saying fiance/boyfriend I will explain what happened to me the last time I crossed.

Q. Where are you going and why?

A. To SC to visit my bf.

Q. How long will you be gone?

A. 4 days.

Q. Have you ever been to SC before?

A. Yes. ( I listed my most recent trips)

Q. Do you intend to live in the States?

A. Eventually yes, we have a K1 visa pending, and I am waiting on an interview date.

Q. Well are you going to visit your boyfriend or your fiance?

A. My boyfriend, we have talked about getting married but he hasn't bought me a ring yet.

Q. You don't need an engagement ring!

A. I do too!!!

Q. Do you have any paperwork with you pertaining to your pending K1 case?

A. Yes here it is.

looked over my p3 for 20 mins and explain that I cannot enter the US to live without the visa.

Q. Are you bringing in any food, smokes or alcohol?

A. No

Q. Enjoy your visit and bring your paperwork with you everytime you enter the US.

And I came back with the ring :D

Edited by amberL

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Q. Where are you going and why?

A. To SC to visit my bf.

Q. How long will you be gone?

A. 4 days.

Q. Have you ever been to SC before?

A. Yes. ( I listed my most recent trips)

Q. Do you intend to live in the States?

A. Eventually yes, we have a K1 visa pending, and I am waiting on an interview date.

Q. Well are you going to visit your boyfriend or your fiance?

A. My boyfriend, we have talked about getting married but he hasn't bought me a ring yet.

Q. You don't need an engagement ring!

A. I do too!!!

Q. Do you have any paperwork with you pertaining to your pending K1 case?

A. Yes here it is.

looked over my p3 for 20 mins and explain that I cannot enter the US to live without the visa.

Q. Are you bringing in any food, smokes or alcohol?

A. No

Q. Enjoy your visit and bring your paperwork with you everytime you enter the US.

And I came back with the ring :D

I'm guessing it was a male officer...LOL.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

Hey there,

I have been back and forth by plane 15 times in the last year, and knock on wood, have never had any issues. I live with my parents, which means I don't have a lease agreement, etc. I always bring my visa papers with me and a letter from my employer, but have never had to show anything. I usually pack light because I have a good amount of clothes at my financé's condo, but in the past I have brought wine glasses and even a hamper with me! (The brand name wine glasses were a steal and the hamper was perfect for what we wanted, but we could never find in Orlando.) When they ask me where I am going, I state that I am visiting my fiancé.

I hope this gives your reassurance that all will be well. Be confident. You're not doing anything wrong.

Our Timeline

March 21, 2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

November 6, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!

February 15, 2010 - POE Thousand Islands

March 27, 2010 - Wedding!

AOS

April 17, 2010 - I-485, I-765, I-131 sent to Chicago Lockbox

April 26, 2010 - Received NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

May 13, 2010 - Transferred to the CSC

May 19, 2010 - Biometrics appointment

June 17th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd & 30th - touches on I-485

June 25th, 2010 - E-mail: EAD approved

June 30th, 2010 - 2nd E-mail for EAD

July 1st, 2010 - Email: RFE being sent for AOS

July 2nd, 2010 - AP received in the mail

July 6th, 2010 - EAD received in the mail

July 8th, 2010 - Received RFE in the mail. They have no record of my medical!

July 12th, 2010 - RFE (new medical) sent back via Express mail

July 21st, 2010 - Welcome Letter (dated July 15th) received by mail and e-mail received stating GC approved

July 23rd, 2010 - GC received in the mail

Timeline
Hey there,

I have been back and forth by plane 15 times in the last year, and knock on wood, have never had any issues. I live with my parents, which means I don't have a lease agreement, etc. I always bring my visa papers with me and a letter from my employer, but have never had to show anything. I usually pack light because I have a good amount of clothes at my financé's condo, but in the past I have brought wine glasses and even a hamper with me! (The brand name wine glasses were a steal and the hamper was perfect for what we wanted, but we could never find in Orlando.) When they ask me where I am going, I state that I am visiting my fiancé.

I hope this gives your reassurance that all will be well. Be confident. You're not doing anything wrong.

Thaks so much for the post. I'm leaving tomorrow morning to spend the night in Edmonton which is where I'll be flying out of. So Saturday afternoon is when the moment of truth comes. I'm glad to know that you live with your parents... lol... I think the only thing I don't have is a lease agreement/mortgage.

I'll let you all know how it goes think of me at 11 pm mountain time on saturday, better yet pray for my fingernails their short enough as it is.

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Timeline

Hurray I made it almost painlessly through the Edmonton poe.

He asked me :

1) What is the purpose of your visit?

Me : To visit my fiance?

2)When will you be returning?

Me : July 9th.

3) What do you do for a living?

Me : I'm a field frep for three different marketing company's.

(After several minutes of typing and silence...)

4) What exactly do you do for a living?

Me : (Long boring explicit explanation)

5) When are you getting married?

Me : After our visa is approved.

6) Oh... so he's already petitioned for you?

Me : Yes would you like to see my I-797c?

7) Yes let me read this.

Me : (waits while he reads)

Other CBP guard : I'm back you can take your break.

8) (stamps passport) Okay you're good to go.

Me : (DEEP Exhale)

The only thing that makes em a bit curious is that he stamped my passport. This is the first time in my travels that a cbp officer has stamped my passport except for last august when I was given an I-94 at the couts/sweetgrass crossing. He wrote in B2 but did not put in a "must be back by date" and also did not give me an i-94. Is it customary to stamp canadian passports now just for fun?

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Timeline
Hurray I made it almost painlessly through the Edmonton poe.

He asked me :

1) What is the purpose of your visit?

Me : To visit my fiance?

2)When will you be returning?

Me : July 9th.

3) What do you do for a living?

Me : I'm a field frep for three different marketing company's.

(After several minutes of typing and silence...)

4) What exactly do you do for a living?

Me : (Long boring explicit explanation)

5) When are you getting married?

Me : After our visa is approved.

6) Oh... so he's already petitioned for you?

Me : Yes would you like to see my I-797c?

7) Yes let me read this.

Me : (waits while he reads)

Other CBP guard : I'm back you can take your break.

8) (stamps passport) Okay you're good to go.

Me : (DEEP Exhale)

The only thing that makes em a bit curious is that he stamped my passport. This is the first time in my travels that a cbp officer has stamped my passport except for last august when I was given an I-94 at the couts/sweetgrass crossing. He wrote in B2 but did not put in a "must be back by date" and also did not give me an i-94. Is it customary to stamp canadian passports now just for fun?

Congrats on making it! The stamp thing, usually happens at airport POEs, I have gotten a few at Pearson. But it's only sometimes, I don't know why they stamp it sometimes and don't other times.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

I've only gotten stamped once, I think it just depends on the officer. Glad you made it through ok!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.