jamster0105

Immigration counceling??

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. My wife has been hearing from some Filipinas about some kind of counseling that might be required before immigrating to the US. Does anyone know anything about this, and if so, is it actually required? One girl told her about a CFO sticker she received in Cebu that needed to be verified at MNL prior to departure...We've heard of some scams regarding these matters and we wanted to see if someone out there had any knowledge of this. As soon as my wife attends the CRBA/passport interview for our son in a few weeks, they will issue her visa and his documents soon after. We just wanted to make sure we weren't missing anything so that I can get their tickets to come here immediately upon receipt of their travel documents. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and as always, good luck to every family out here and God bless :)

First time chatting on yahoo messenger: Jan 6, 2007
Met in person in Manila: May 12, 2007
Returned to Manila: Sep 25, 2007
Will you marry me?: Sep 26, 2007
Wedding: Jan 5, 2008
Mailed I-130 Petition application: Aug 11, 2008
NOA1 for I-130: Aug 15, 2008
Touched (I-130): Aug 21, 2008
Mailed I-129F (K-3) application: Aug 22, 2008
NOA1 for I-129F (K-3): Aug 27, 2008
Touched (K-3): Sep 1, 2008
Touched (I-130): Oct 8, 2008
Touched (I-130): Oct 9, 2008
Approved (K-3 and I-130): Feb 11, 2009
Interview: 6/3/2009- Approved!
POE: 8/25/2009!

AOS
Sent: 3/3/2011
NOA1: 3/11/2011
Biometrics: 4/5/2011 - everything went fine!
RFE: 4/11/2011
RFE response received by USCIS: 4/28/2011

N-400

Filed: 7/17/2014

Text receipt: 7/23/2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello everyone. My wife has been hearing from some Filipinas about some kind of counseling that might be required before immigrating to the US. Does anyone know anything about this, and if so, is it actually required? One girl told her about a CFO sticker she received in Cebu that needed to be verified at MNL prior to departure...We've heard of some scams regarding these matters and we wanted to see if someone out there had any knowledge of this. As soon as my wife attends the CRBA/passport interview for our son in a few weeks, they will issue her visa and his documents soon after. We just wanted to make sure we weren't missing anything so that I can get their tickets to come here immediately upon receipt of their travel documents. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and as always, good luck to every family out here and God bless :)

Yes the CFO (Commission on Filipinos abroad) is a real requirement, it is supposed to be a seminar but it is in some cases more tedious than the actual interview. Tell your wife to take with her everything that she took to the interview, she needs the CFO sticker/stamp in her passport or she will not be allowed to board the plane. If I am correct, there are 3 places where you can take the seminar, 1 is in Cebu, the other 2 are in Manila. The 1 named Prism in manila has a bad reputation here on VJ.

Working on AOS

yup so true, she needs to attend the CFO seminar.

feb. 26,2008-----noa1

aug. 26, 2008----transferred to csc

sept. 19, 2008--- approved

NVC:

sept. 26, 2008----got case # from a live operator

oct. 6, 2008 ------received AOS bill/paid online

oct. 7, 2008 ------shows PAID

oct. 14,2008 -----IV fee generated/ paid online

oct. 15,2008 -----shows PAID

oct. 16,2008 -----mailed DS230 overnight

oct. 23,2008 ---- RFE

nov. 3,2008 ----- case complete

nov. 26,2008 --- medical exam

aug. 14,2009 --- remedical finally, passed

aug. 24, 2009 -- interview , passed

aug. 29, 2009 -- visa in hand

sept. 24, 2009 -- POE LAX

Yes, She needs to attend the " Guidance and Counseling" at CFO office ( Commission on Filipinos Overseas)

Here is their website... you check it for more information you need

====> http://www.cfo.gov.ph/

Edited by sweet_wifey22

<style>body{background-image:url(http://images67.imikimi.com/image/images2_full/19twj-101.gif);background-repeat:no-repeat;}</style>

Yes, She needs to attend the " Guidance and Counseling" at CFO office ( Commission on Filipinos Overseas)

Here is their website... you check it for more information you need

====> http://www.cfo.gov.ph/

I reccomend the one at St Mary's.

COMMISSION ON FILIPINOS OVERSEAS

ST. MARY EUPHRASIA FOUNDATION. INC.-CENTER FOR OVERSEAS WORKERS

good shephers convent, 1043 AURORA BLVD, 1108 QUEZON CITY

My wife went there and it was almost painless.

Take the cash required as the staff there may not have change...

I think its about 600PHP or there abouts...

Others here will know the exact amount but I forget at the moment.

-Phil

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys, Yeah go to the one at St. Marys. I have heard that Prism is a real pain. Don't know much about the one in Cebu but the CFO is definately required. Take care. Mike

IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION ITS THE JOURNEY...AND WHAT A JOURNEY IT HAS BEEN

The exact amounts are/were 250 PHP and 400 PHP.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Hey guys, Yeah go to the one at St. Marys. I have heard that Prism is a real pain. Don't know much about the one in Cebu but the CFO is definately required. Take care. Mike

Hey Mike,

As you know, our situation is similar to yours. My wife won't actually have her visa in her passport until after the CRBA/passport interview for our son. It sounds to me that we have to wait until she has her visa before she can attend this seminar? Bringing the same documents interview documents to her seminar shouldn't be much of a big deal either. As always, we just want to make sure we have everything in place, as to not cause any delays.

Thanks again everyone :thumbs:

First time chatting on yahoo messenger: Jan 6, 2007
Met in person in Manila: May 12, 2007
Returned to Manila: Sep 25, 2007
Will you marry me?: Sep 26, 2007
Wedding: Jan 5, 2008
Mailed I-130 Petition application: Aug 11, 2008
NOA1 for I-130: Aug 15, 2008
Touched (I-130): Aug 21, 2008
Mailed I-129F (K-3) application: Aug 22, 2008
NOA1 for I-129F (K-3): Aug 27, 2008
Touched (K-3): Sep 1, 2008
Touched (I-130): Oct 8, 2008
Touched (I-130): Oct 9, 2008
Approved (K-3 and I-130): Feb 11, 2009
Interview: 6/3/2009- Approved!
POE: 8/25/2009!

AOS
Sent: 3/3/2011
NOA1: 3/11/2011
Biometrics: 4/5/2011 - everything went fine!
RFE: 4/11/2011
RFE response received by USCIS: 4/28/2011

N-400

Filed: 7/17/2014

Text receipt: 7/23/2014

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The CFO seminar is the one where they'll tell your wife where to get help if you ever try to beat the ####### out of her after she gets to the US. :) Or at least that's how my wife portrayed it to me when she took it.

Edited by jsnearline

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Yes the CFO (Commission on Filipinos abroad) is a real requirement, it is supposed to be a seminar but it is in some cases more tedious than the actual interview. Tell your wife to take with her everything that she took to the interview, she needs the CFO sticker/stamp in her passport or she will not be allowed to board the plane. If I am correct, there are 3 places where you can take the seminar, 1 is in Cebu, the other 2 are in Manila. The 1 named Prism in manila has a bad reputation here on VJ.

Hey, I totally agree with you that PRISM has a very bad reputation...They are quite tight and loves to give applicants hard time as what they did to me espaically the counsellor name Tess. She's pretty pain in the $$$ to me. I live in the province and before I flew to Manila I called them first to ask what the requirements are so that I know what I should bring with me and wont waste time and money. I brought everything including docs that wasn't required (when I phoned them). Got there so early (just imagine I was the very 1st one who signed in on their log book) but the couselling began at 9:00 am? I cant exactly remember when. Anyway, as you know applicants are being interviewed one by one and when it was my turn the small stick terrible cousellor asked for my husband's LCM from the embassy. She looked for it. I told her it was given to the municipal where we married (which should be) and yet she asked for that. What the h$$$. I have no problem with the questions but then she went on interrogation and asked me stupid questions like if I am aware that my husband was divorced and have children etc. Duh!!! Then, she asked for the original divorce decree, LCM and wedding pics etc. and when I wasn't able to handed the said capacity letter to her she told me just to come back when I have it already. It doesnt matter whether you live in the pole and spend a thousand of money just to get there she would tell you to come back whenever she feels like to do it anyway. LCM is submitted to the municipal/church as one of the requirements of marriage and she's supposed to know that. Went back there and I thought finally I will be done but I was wrong, coz last minute I was told to go to Manila City Hall to get a affidavit that I am fully aware of my husband's divorce. Phew! Bcoz of her stupidity I had to spend nother thousands for the hotel and did not make my flight so I had to pay the penalty. I just dont understand where in the world she/they got the power to grill the applicants as if you and your spouse/fiance are a criminal.

Edited by ~hAppyndinlOve~

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.