warney344

Letters/Affidavids

11 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Before I begin, I've found this forum more helpful than any other source over the past 3 years (fiance visa/AOS). I am about to file for removal of conditions on the old green card.

I think my wife and I have enough evidence to be on the safe side, but I had a few questions about having relatives/close friends write letters of support.

1. Do the letters need to be notarized?

2. Do the letters have to be written by people who have know you for the entire 2 year conditional period? I was going to ask my wife's Dad, but I thought a work friend may be useful as well (I only started work 19 months ago).

I appreciate any response, thanks again for the help,

Andrew.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

1) Yes signature should be witnessed by a notary.

2) Should be a person who has known you the majority of your marriage.

MORE:

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/USCIS_I751_Affidavit.doc

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/I-751_support.doc

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=examples

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Thanks for the reply;

One more question, on the I - 751 instructions it states the following;

Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted and have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship.

Does that mean I have to have two seperate affidavits? I don't understand the language.

We did not submit any and were approved without any RFEs. In my opinion, if you have enough of other evidence you can skip the affidavits.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

We didn't use affidavits, but yes, it reads like they want them from 2 different people.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

I did not submit any affidavits and I was approved.

If you chose to go that route, submit at least two letters from people who have known you for a while. The letters will need to be notarized.

Again, I am not a big fan of the affidavits, as I did not want to go through the hassle of asking people ..

Good luck :)

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Affidavits are extremely weak evidence in my opinion - If you have enough other evidence of co-mingled lives - skip it. Many of us didn't use that - I feel very awkward asking someone to do this or to do this for someone. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Hello,

I sent 4 affidavits with my applications. I had a lot of evidence, but thought it will not hurt to send the affidavits with it. After all it is listed in the I-751 instructions. I send in 2 Affidavits from co-workers that I have been working with for almost 2 years. I also had my mother in law, and best friend write an affidavit for us. All the Affidavits where notarized. Hope this will help Good luck :)

Sep. 19-06 send AOS papers

Oct. 02-06 received NOS of papers

Oct. 02-06 received Biometric appointment letter

Oct. 11-06 Biometric appointment

Oct. 12-06 RFE for I-485

Dec. 05-06 USCIS recived RFE package

Dec. 15-06 Recived Email EAD approved.

Dec. 21-06 Recived EAD card in mail

Jan. 05-07 send AR-11 to HLS

Feb. 12-07 Recived SS card in mail

Mar. 09-07 Recived USCIS updat notification on change of address (at new address)

Aug. 01-07 Interview date

Aug. 01-07 Interview in Memphis. Approved

Aug. 12-07 Conditional GC in mail

May 01 -2009 Start of Removing Conditon of Residancy send I-751 off

May. 04-09 I-751 package deliverd at USCIS Vermont

May. 16-09 NOA for I-751

May. 29-09 recived Biometric appointment letter

Jun. 09-09 Biometric Appointment

Oct. 13-09 Letter arrived. Approved

Oct. 26-09 10 Year GC in mail

May 04 - 2010 Start of Natruralization process sent N-400

May 06 - 10 N-400 delivered to Uscis Texas

May 18 - 10 recived NOA

Jun. 14 - 10 Biometric appointment

Aug. 11 - 10 Interview appointment

Spt. 29 - 10 Oath letter asrrived

Oct. 21- 10 I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Affidavits are optional and NO, they don't have to be notarized. Same goes for any affidavits that are sent to the USCIS. I sent our I-130 with 2 affidavits, one from my mother and one from my sister, they were not notarized and we were approved without any issues.

The instructions on the I-751 don't mention anything about them having to be notarized either:

Evidence of the Relationship

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted and have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship. (Such persons may be required to testify before an immigration officer as to the information contained in the affidavit.) The original affidavit must be submitted and also contain the following information regarding the person making the affidavit: his or her full name and address; date and place of birth; relationship to you or your spouse, if any; and full information and complete details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge. Affidavits must be supported by other types of evidence listed above.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Thank you for all the responses. It's amazing, I have a friend who is starting the K-3 process and he asked if he should get a lawyer. I told him this forum had been more useful than our lawyer and the government guidelines put together.

I did not submit any affidavits and I was approved.

If you chose to go that route, submit at least two letters from people who have known you for a while. The letters will need to be notarized.

Again, I am not a big fan of the affidavits, as I did not want to go through the hassle of asking people ..

Good luck :)

oh thank God, I just sent mine off last Friday without, and started stressing over it. I also felt it was a huge imposition, especially as our "Friends" are actually my husband's friends who became mine, since I'm the non-USC. I really wasn't comfortable asking.

April 14 - sent I-129F to Vermont

April 25 - NOA1

May, June, July lost to IMBRA and RFE's

Aug 22 - NOA2

Sept 25 - interview date OCTOBER 13th

Oct 26 - arrived at JFK - work authorized

Nov 21 - apply SSN, received Nov 29

Dec 16 - marriage license

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Feb 07 - NOA1 ,check cashed

Feb 28 - notice I-485 sent to CSC

Mar 10 - Biometrics

Apr 16 - surprise RFE arrives..they lost my medical. New medical returned, Apr 23

Jun 1st - RFE ..more medical BS ( go back for TB skin test)

Jun 28 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

July 06- Green card arrives.

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

June 19 - NOA extension letter ( card expires June 26th)

July 03 - Biometrics notice

July 14 - Biometrics appointment

OCT 29 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.