Jay Ridler

Moving My Stuff from Canada to the US

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We have our interview date! 7 July! Now I have to get things ready for the move. I will likely be using ABF to move my remaining assets from Canada to the US, but I had a question about this form:

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_3299.pdf

Am I required to tag each box, saying what is in it, and have the tag correspond to this list? Most of my possessions are books and documents, though I have many boxes of both. I'm just worried about how to properly fill this out (does each box get an entry or do can I write 30 Boxes of history books, replacement value 20,000 bucks?

Any advice would be great.

Best,

Jay

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
We have our interview date! 7 July! Now I have to get things ready for the move. I will likely be using ABF to move my remaining assets from Canada to the US, but I had a question about this form:

Am I required to tag each box, saying what is in it, and have the tag correspond to this list? Most of my possessions are books and documents, though I have many boxes of both. I'm just worried about how to properly fill this out (does each box get an entry or do can I write 30 Boxes of history books, replacement value 20,000 bucks?

Best,

Jay

I just put a number on each box - with masking tape - so box 1 - which then corresponded to our form - box 1 - books etc

Best,

Jay

Hello Jay! Welcome to the Canada Forum on VJ! I haven't seen you post before. Congratulations on the interview date! Now, to answer your question... :lol:

I'd maybe number the boxes, or write on each box what is contained. Just writing books, documents etc. should suffice.

Many of us wrote down on a separate paper serial numbers of electronics.

Let us know a little something about yourself! Where are you moving etc. ?

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Thanks, everyone!

I'm moving in July to El Cerrito CA. My fiance works in the video game industry and I'm a writer and military historian. This move is a long time coming, since we applied in July last year and it has taken just under a year to get everything settled. Now I just have to get through the interview and get the hell out of dodge.

Am I write to assume the visa comes in the passport a few days after the interview (in the express envelope I am to provide)?

Cheers!

Jay

Best,

Jay

Hello Jay! Welcome to the Canada Forum on VJ! I haven't seen you post before. Congratulations on the interview date! Now, to answer your question... :lol:

I'd maybe number the boxes, or write on each box what is contained. Just writing books, documents etc. should suffice.

Many of us wrote down on a separate paper serial numbers of electronics.

Let us know a little something about yourself! Where are you moving etc. ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Jay, the Visa comes a few days to a week later in the Xpresspost envelope. There is also a big "do not open" brown envelope to be turned in at your POE.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Jay, just read this and realized that my husband and I met with you and your fiance in Kingston last Summer. Congratulations in getting your visa! Yes, it has been a long time coming.

A general list is all you require to have for your personal items. You are allowed to bring them in duty free. I numbered the boxes and put a general description on the box, ie. books, CDs and casettes, craft supplies, winter clothing, dishes, etc. I then made a master list of each box and contents that I could hand it at the POE. You can summarize such as 30 boxes of books, yes. I actually didn't worry about a valuation for the items but if you have a value you can certainly include them. Do keep a list of the serial numbers for your electronics (ie. computer, etc.). It probably won't be requested but just in case you will have it. When I crossed the border I had everything in a file folder including all of the cats information and the phytosanitary certificates for the house plants I brought. They never looked at any of it. I had the main contents moved by movers, however, and the general list was fine for them as well.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

doesn't say which consulate he is going to??? If Vancouver, I believe they get it same or next day? Montreal mails them out with the express post envelope you provide them with!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

It could be Montreal - last I heard Jay was living in Kingston, Ontario.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Timeline

I woould like to add a question here. I am USC and will be moving my families belongings by renting a UHaul and driving it myself from Canada to US. Do I need to hit customs with a list of items?

----------

Petition for Wife and our 3 kids. IR1 & IR2s

NVC Journey

April 22nd, 2009 - Received NVC Packages for all 4 Petition w/Case Numbers

April 22nd, 2009 - DS-3032 and AOS bill received in package

April 24th, 2009 - DS-3032 sent via email

April 24th, 2009 - AOS bill paid online

May 2009 - DS-3032 accepted

May 2009 - IV Fee Generated

May 26th, 2009 - Paid IV Fee Online

May 27th, 2009 - Shows Paid

May 28th, 2009 - IV Package Sent

June 1st, 2009 - Shows Delivered

June 15th, 2009 - Received RFE? for not submitting AOS

June 18th, 2009 - AOS Package sent

June 22nd, 2009 - Delivered 11:42 am, PORTSMOUTH, NH 03801

June 22nd, 2009 - Request for expedite submitted

June 24th, 2009 - Checklist received (AOS package)

July 7th, 2009 - Wife's Case Complete

July 7th, 2009 - RFE for kids cases

July 7th, 2009 - Overnight 864w to NVC for kids cases

July 10th, 2009 - Received package

July 14th, 2009 - NVC automated system show checklist letter received for kids cases

July 21st, 2009 - as per NVC request second email sent requesting expedite of interview

July 24st, 2009 - NVC cases show complete

November 23rd, 2009 - Medicals in Toronto

November 26th, 2009 - Medical packages received

November 2nd, 2009 - Interviews are scheduled for 12/18/2009

December 18th, 2009 - Approved and Visas in Hand

December 21st, 2009 - POE... Windsor/Detroit

Timeline

You should have a list of the items you are bringing, yes. Customs tends to be fairly lax when you are crossing the border with a visa and all your family possessions but you are supposed to have one just in case they ask. For goods accompanying you there isn't any preset form that you have to use, so just making a general list of what you are bringing should be fine. Box contents don't need to be itemized, just give a 'title' to the box (ie. kitchenware), etc.

ok, just noticed the USC part - are you a returning USC? Do you own the items? While you shouldn't have any problem, the answers to these questions may make a difference. Here is a like to the Customs and Border Protection Agency's articles related to returning US residents and moving to the US.

http://search.cbp.gov/query.html

Edited by Kathryn41

Timeline
You should have a list of the items you are bringing, yes. Customs tends to be fairly lax when you are crossing the border with a visa and all your family possessions but you are supposed to have one just in case they ask. For goods accompanying you there isn't any preset form that you have to use, so just making a general list of what you are bringing should be fine. Box contents don't need to be itemized, just give a 'title' to the box (ie. kitchenware), etc.

ok, just noticed the USC part - are you a returning USC? Do you own the items? While you shouldn't have any problem, the answers to these questions may make a difference. Here is a like to the Customs and Border Protection Agency's articles related to returning US residents and moving to the US.

http://search.cbp.gov/query.html

Returning USC... sorta, USC from birth, PR of Canada since '82, moved back to the US in NOV 2008.

Yes I own all items (my wife would beg to differ)

I will be flying my family once immigration is complete and drive the household contents myself.

Just in case

I will produce a reference list on all articles

I will produce a list of all electronic equipment with serial numbers (This is a biggie for me)

----------

Petition for Wife and our 3 kids. IR1 & IR2s

NVC Journey

April 22nd, 2009 - Received NVC Packages for all 4 Petition w/Case Numbers

April 22nd, 2009 - DS-3032 and AOS bill received in package

April 24th, 2009 - DS-3032 sent via email

April 24th, 2009 - AOS bill paid online

May 2009 - DS-3032 accepted

May 2009 - IV Fee Generated

May 26th, 2009 - Paid IV Fee Online

May 27th, 2009 - Shows Paid

May 28th, 2009 - IV Package Sent

June 1st, 2009 - Shows Delivered

June 15th, 2009 - Received RFE? for not submitting AOS

June 18th, 2009 - AOS Package sent

June 22nd, 2009 - Delivered 11:42 am, PORTSMOUTH, NH 03801

June 22nd, 2009 - Request for expedite submitted

June 24th, 2009 - Checklist received (AOS package)

July 7th, 2009 - Wife's Case Complete

July 7th, 2009 - RFE for kids cases

July 7th, 2009 - Overnight 864w to NVC for kids cases

July 10th, 2009 - Received package

July 14th, 2009 - NVC automated system show checklist letter received for kids cases

July 21st, 2009 - as per NVC request second email sent requesting expedite of interview

July 24st, 2009 - NVC cases show complete

November 23rd, 2009 - Medicals in Toronto

November 26th, 2009 - Medical packages received

November 2nd, 2009 - Interviews are scheduled for 12/18/2009

December 18th, 2009 - Approved and Visas in Hand

December 21st, 2009 - POE... Windsor/Detroit

Timeline
Jay, just read this and realized that my husband and I met with you and your fiance in Kingston last Summer. Congratulations in getting your visa! Yes, it has been a long time coming.

A general list is all you require to have for your personal items. You are allowed to bring them in duty free. I numbered the boxes and put a general description on the box, ie. books, CDs and casettes, craft supplies, winter clothing, dishes, etc. I then made a master list of each box and contents that I could hand it at the POE. You can summarize such as 30 boxes of books, yes. I actually didn't worry about a valuation for the items but if you have a value you can certainly include them. Do keep a list of the serial numbers for your electronics (ie. computer, etc.). It probably won't be requested but just in case you will have it. When I crossed the border I had everything in a file folder including all of the cats information and the phytosanitary certificates for the house plants I brought. They never looked at any of it. I had the main contents moved by movers, however, and the general list was fine for them as well.

Hi Kathryn! I well recall our lunch and the great advice you provided. Thanks again for the specifics. It will be great when all of this is done and I can start working and living with Erin out in the coast!

And, yes, the interview is in Montreal

Thanks again!

JSR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.