HSB

Questions About POE

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I brought my wife to the US on June 3 on a CR1 visa, POE JFK. I have read up alot on the procedures while applying for a visa, but am not too familar with the steps after the visa is received. Just wanted to confirm the immigation officers did everything correctly, so if anyone can answer these questions, it would be very helpful:

1) I filled out an I-94 form for my wife and 2 customs form for me and my wife on the plane. But the immigration officer threw out the I-94 and one of the custom forms. He just stamped the other custom forms, which we submitted to a US Customs officer before exiting the airport. I assume this is ok? My wife won't need the I-94 as a CR1 holder and 1 customs form is good enough for the both of us, correct?

2) After the medical for the interview, along with the sealed envelope, the doctor gave my wife an open envelope with her vaccination records and test results. He said we did not need the open envelope for the interview, but we had to carry it with us at POE and show it to the immigration officer when they asked for it. But the immigration officer never asked for any medical reports. He just collected the sealed envelope from the embassy with all the application materials. We still have the medical report with us. Were they supposed to collect/look at this or is this for us to keep?

3) The immigration officer was not very clear on what we can expect in the following months. He just asked for our marriage date, and after I responded, he asked if I knew about the 2 year rule. I assume he meant removing the conditions of the CR1 after 2 years, so I said yes. He then stamped my US passport, my wife's Bangladesh passport, and the customs form. In my wife's passport, he did not stamp on the visa itself, but on the page next to the visa. In the admission stamp, he wrote a 3 digit number, and below it he wrote "CR, A#..., and June 2, 2011." The visa itself had a line in the bottom that says "seves as temporary I-551 upon endorsement", so not sure if the officer was supposed to stamp on the visa itself since he only stamped on the page next to the visa?

4) After the above, the officer handed us the passports, customs form, and the sealed envelope, and pointed us to walk through a long hallway towards the desk of another officer. The new officer took my wife's fingerprints, kept the stuff in the sealed envelope, handed back her passport and customs form, then said we can leave. He did not collect the medical vaccination records and did not provide any other receipts. We handed the customs form in while exiting airport, so all we have to show that my wife is legally here is her passport with the admission stamp next to the visa, and the hand written note of the immigration officer on the admission stamp "CR, A#, and June 2, 2011." Does all this seem like the proper steps? I'm not sure if we were supposed to get any temporary receipts that serves as a greencard or anything like that until the greencard comes in by mail?

5) No one mentioned anything about when we can expect the greencard and SS card. I know the greencard is supposed to come in by mail, but how long does it normally take. Is there a way we can track the progress online, and who should we contact if there is a delay, DOS or USCIS? For the SS card, I know we are supposed to go to the SS office if we don't receive one by mail, but how long are we supposed to wait for it to come in by mail before we can go to the SS office?

6) Since the officer stamped June 3, 2011 on the passport, this means we will have to apply for the I-751 petition to remove conditions 90 days before this date, correct? Will the greencard that we will receive also expire on this date?

Any other feedback or guides that can be provided would be very helpful, as I'm still getting familiar with the post-visa approval process. Thanks!

-HSB

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

1) This is correct, IMMIGRANTS do not carry a departure record, this is only for NON-Immigrants like K-Visa holders.

2) This is correct, the POE officer will past this envelope on to USCIS.

3) This is correct I-551 stamp is not stamped on the visa it is stamped on a page near the visa.

4) YES The I-551 stamp in passport serves as a temporary green-card.

5) Two weeks to a month or so to get card in the mail.

6) Correct, green-card should show expiration at that date, and you file I-751 within 90 days before that date.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

1) This is correct, IMMIGRANTS do not carry a departure record, this is only for NON-Immigrants like K-Visa holders.

2) Samething happened in my case, they never wanted to see my vaccination report. It is not the part of our immigration process, but this may be needed for university admissions I assume. Most importantly that is for your record.

3) This is correct I-551 stamp is not stamped on the visa it is stamped on a page near the visa. A slight difference is that I don't have an expiration date as I am fortunately IR-1. My endorsement has IR1, A#.... and the arrival seal itself contained the date of arrival, thats it. May be here is some slight difference betweek CR1 and IR1 I assume.

4) This is correct, no reciept is issued here. The visa itself as you can see will serve as temporary greencard for one year from the date of arrival.

5) Th green card comes automatically. However, it can be a little lengthier. Please go to this link http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD.

However, you will recieve a welcome notice "NOA" where you will get a tracking number starts with SRC....... and you can track your green card production procedures. This welcome letter took 10 business days for me to recieve. And I am yet to recieve my green card.

One IMPORTANT issue is, YOU MUST GO TO THE NEAREST SSA office and fill out a form and submit it to the officer for your wife's SSN. Do not wait. Because it would waste your time only. Although we ticked in our DS230 for SSN to come automatically, however, in practical, it does not come untill you file for it. Best examples is Shimool who waited for 1 month and after that he posted here to make sure he should file for it or not. YOU MUST FILE FOR SSN.

Once you filed for SSN, it may take one week to 4 week. for me, I am yet to recieve as it's been only 2 weeks. You will get confirmation letter after 7-10 days from the SSA office.

6) You must file for remove condition 90 days prior to June 3, 2011 . :devil: I am free from this. I will have to face USCIS only at the time of citizenship.

Good Luck.... GO TO YOUR NEAREST SSA OFFICE NOW.........

Sonia

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
90 days before the expiration date of the green card

Sonia Welcome to the US.. I was thinking about you the other day and wanted to send you a message.. good to see you around :-)

Marriage January 23, 2005

USCIS

August 14, 2006- I-130 Sent

September 22, 2008- NOA 1 Received

September 17, 2008- Became a USC

September 18, 2008- Upgraded I-130

March 20, 2009 - NOA2 (email)

March 25, 2009- NOA2 (hardcopy Received)

NVC

April 3, 2009 - Case Number Assigned

June 5, 2009 CASE COMPLETED AT NVC

June 9, 2009 Interview Date Assigned

July 16, 2009 Interview AP

August 24, 2009 DOS Operator said "VISA HAS BEEN ISSUED TODAY" Alhamdulillah

August 26, 2009 call from embassy to PICK UP THE PASSPORT :-)

August 27, 2009 Picked up the passport... woohooo!!!

September 9, 2009 US Entry InshaAllah

October 13, 2009 SSN and green card in mail DONE WITH USCIS until husband applies for his citizenship!!

The journey of 4 years, 8 months, and 3 weeks has ended!!!

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Just a heads up that there is a delay of up to 8 weeks on getting your permanent resident cards. I just called USCIS to find out the status of my wife's card and was told that there is an 8 week delay due to USCIS upgrading their system. It is actually posted on the USCIS website in the alerts section.

The Journey Home
04/27/2009 - POE at JFK (Quick and Easy!!!!)
05/07/2009 - Applied for SSN
05/09/2009 - Welcome Letter Received
05/14/2009 - SSN Received
05/11/2009 - GC Production Ordered
06/12/2009 - GC Production Ordered (AGAIN ?!?!?!)
06/19/2009 - Alien Registration Approval notice email
06/22/2009 - 2 Year Green Card Received!!!!!!

Naturalization
02/06/2013 - Application Sent
02/13/2013 - NOA (Priority Date Feb 8th)
02/13/2013 - Biometrics Appt. Letter Received
02/21/2013 - Early Bio Appt. (Original March 15th)
02/26/2013 - Place Inline for Interview

04/24/2013 - Interview scheduled

05/31/2013 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

XX/XX/2013 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.