S and S

First Jobs in the US for MENA SOs

115 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
try Fresenius Medical Care and Davita. They are both big Dialysis Companies. Usually they are hiring Patient Care Techs. You can go on their web sites and look for openings in your area. They train you and you don't need experience. Would be nice if you were a CNA with who has their Med Aide Cert.

I checked out both those companies. They sound like great companies, but there are no openings that fit his skills or in his area. Both companies are around my area, just no jobs he can do. Thanks for the advice. I may keep it in mind for the future as you never know what jobs may come up later!

What Medical Field does your husband want to practice in?

Right now he is just a medical school graduate. He couldn't do his residency in Iraq because the hospital they assigned him to for that was in the shi'a part of Iraq and he is sunni. It would have meant death to go to that hospital. He would prefer surgery as his specialty, but that is hard to get for foreign medical graduates.

We are going to keep looking around. He didn't even get the job at 7-eleven that he applied for. Everyone sees that degree and just balks away from him. Its really frustrating. We have been looking in every available job listings online and in the newspaper and on websites of companies in the area. No luck yet, but we will keep looking. All the advice everyone is giving is at least pointing us in some new directions.

Well, heck, if he can't get a job at 7-11 because of his degree, then don't even mention it on the application. I mean really, he doesn't have to put that on there if it's going to hurt his chances at some kind of job.

We have thought about this and now that he has experience in the US I think we should leave the degree off of some applications. A lot of employers think that you are just buying your time in places like that if you have a degree.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who's in the Philly/South Jersey area, and whose husband is looking for work, I just saw on Craigslist that UPS is hiring. I've always heard that's a great company to get into because of the benefits,etc.

Here's the link, hope it's helpful. Also, for others in other parts of the country whose husbands are looking for work, maybe in your area's Craigslist, it's also posted.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/lab/1233859923.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My brother worked for UPS for several semesters in college, and AbuS worked for them briefly as well.

To the best of my knowledge, they only allow you to work part time at first. Many of the people my brother and husband worked with only did the job to get health insurance, because their regular, full time position did not provide it. The benefits are good, but I believe if you take the health insurance, you're not taking much home afterwards.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

My brother worked for UPS for several semesters in college, and AbuS worked for them briefly as well.

To the best of my knowledge, they only allow you to work part time at first. Many of the people my brother and husband worked with only did the job to get health insurance, because their regular, full time position did not provide it. The benefits are good, but I believe if you take the health insurance, you're not taking much home afterwards.

Yeah, I think you're right - pt first. For the ft positions, I think they only hire from within, so if you're looking for a ft position, you have to start ft. Don't know anything about the cost of health insurance, etc. Just know of people who have done well for themselves working there. Seems like a good place to start for people with no work experience in US!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

Now we are trying a telemarketing place. He did one interview and was told to come back for a second interview. The place is looking for people to handle AT&T sales. My husband's English is really good and they liked that he had translating experience. I am really hoping he gets this job. For now we are waiting on his CNA license to get transferred so he can do that if nothing else.

One nice thing about telemarketing is this place is in a college area so they don't expect people to work there forever and his degree shouldn't hurt him as there are many students working there who have degrees and going for higher ones.

Edited by S and S

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Timeline
Now we are trying a telemarketing place. He did one interview and was told to come back for a second interview. The place is looking for people to handle AT&T sales. My husband's English is really good and they liked that he had translating experience. I am really hoping he gets this job. For now we are waiting on his CNA license to get transferred so he can do that if nothing else.

One nice thing about telemarketing is this place is in a college area so they don't expect people to work there forever and his degree shouldn't hurt him as there are many students working there who have degrees and going for higher ones.

I hope this works out for him!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

They called back and canceled the second interview. I don't know why they would do that. They just said there are no positions open for him at this time and sorry for his troubles. They will keep his application on file. I hate that they even got our hopes up.

Guess we will just have to keep trying :(

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Timeline
They called back and canceled the second interview. I don't know why they would do that. They just said there are no positions open for him at this time and sorry for his troubles. They will keep his application on file. I hate that they even got our hopes up.

Guess we will just have to keep trying :(

That is all that you can do is keep trying. Just try and keep his hopes up if you can and not let the rejection get to him. It can take a toll on him and in the end you and your marriage. I hope something comes up soon for him.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

ahmed did finally quit his job this week also. THey treated him so bad, the boss would just wiggle his finger at him (hey you) only called him his name 2 times in 2 months. When this certain job was done he would move the group to another (easier) area except ahmed for him he got the choice to go to another hard spot or go home. Every night he got the gather up the trash job. At this job he said to get cool outside felt good (when outside was 100). It seemed to mostly center around one boss but seems no one would do anything about him. The HR man did question him at the end and said he will address the things with the boss (sure). For sure IM going to address why there are so many illegal working there with no papers and how they are doing it.

For now he will concentrate on driver lic and maybe a class or two, my son is (grooming) him and taking him on his delivery route to learn to help him and maybe get his own route after the lic. Here he can kinda be his own boss and out and about the state and it actually pays great, just have to get that license and wait for a opening we already have the truck

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.