chrisc85

evidence of relationship/support

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey everyone, I'm going to be filing for the K-1 visa for my Moroccan fiancee. We met within the past 2 years (last fall while I was studying abroad in Morocco). I just had a couple of questions/concerns regarding this.

I don't have any ticket stubs left from when I was there as evidence (I didn't see any reason for keeping them at the time), however, I plan on submitting a copy of the Certificate of Completion I received at the university, proving I took classes there, along with my transcripts from the university, my passport stamps from entering/leaving the country via Spain, and a letter from my study abroad director stating that I was present during the fall 2008 semester. I also have several photos of myself and my fiancee together (they aren't dated though). I also have emails, phone bills, letters, etc to prove we have an ongoing relationship. Should this be sufficient evidence of having met there during the fall of 2008 or might I have a problem?

Also, for the affidavit of support (I-134 form), I know that I'll need to provide supporting evidence. However, I only recently attained my full-time position as a Counselor upon graduating just last month. Therefore, my tax returns from the previous year or two would not represent my current income which is approximately $25,000.00 per year (pretty well over the 125% poverty guideline for New Jersey). I plan on submitting a letter from my employer stating my position, status, income, various benefits offered (medical, dental, etc) and date of starting (May 2009), along with numerous paystubs up and to the time of the interview, which I assume will be at least 6 months from todays' date (I haven't sent anything in yet - me and my fiancee both thought we should graduate first this past semester and have me find a good full-time job first). I would also submit evidence that I was in school (like a copy of my diploma, transcripts, letter from professor) which is why I do not have tax returns and only recently attained my first full-time position making sufficient income just last month. Would the fact that I only recently started my new career position hamper my chances of the visa being approved, or am I safe with that amount of evidence? Any advice?

Thanks very much. I appreciate it.

Chris

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hey everyone, I'm going to be filing for the K-1 visa for my Moroccan fiancee. We met within the past 2 years (last fall while I was studying abroad in Morocco). I just had a couple of questions/concerns regarding this.

I don't have any ticket stubs left from when I was there as evidence (I didn't see any reason for keeping them at the time), however, I plan on submitting a copy of the Certificate of Completion I received at the university, proving I took classes there, along with my transcripts from the university, my passport stamps from entering/leaving the country via Spain, and a letter from my study abroad director stating that I was present during the fall 2008 semester. I also have several photos of myself and my fiancee together (they aren't dated though). I also have emails, phone bills, letters, etc to prove we have an ongoing relationship. Should this be sufficient evidence of having met there during the fall of 2008 or might I have a problem?

Also, for the affidavit of support (I-134 form), I know that I'll need to provide supporting evidence. However, I only recently attained my full-time position as a Counselor upon graduating just last month. Therefore, my tax returns from the previous year or two would not represent my current income which is approximately $25,000.00 per year (pretty well over the 125% poverty guideline for New Jersey). I plan on submitting a letter from my employer stating my position, status, income, various benefits offered (medical, dental, etc) and date of starting (May 2009), along with numerous paystubs up and to the time of the interview, which I assume will be at least 6 months from todays' date (I haven't sent anything in yet - me and my fiancee both thought we should graduate first this past semester and have me find a good full-time job first). I would also submit evidence that I was in school (like a copy of my diploma, transcripts, letter from professor) which is why I do not have tax returns and only recently attained my first full-time position making sufficient income just last month. Would the fact that I only recently started my new career position hamper my chances of the visa being approved, or am I safe with that amount of evidence? Any advice?

Chris

You have time on the I-134... it is not required until consulate interview many many many mos. from now

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think you have a great start on the support documents. I would also recommend getting affidavits from friends both in the US and in Morocco talking about your relationship. I'm not sure if they're needed for the K1 but it wouldn't hurt to bring to the consulate.

I didn't submit plane tickets, just copies of my passport and the entry/exit stamps. For your salary, I think as long as they list what your salary will be for the year and you submit paystubs like you're planning to do you should be fine. Hopefully you don't have to wait that long for an interview at the consulate but just try to file your taxes asap next year and get a print out of the submitted federal return and you would obviously send that if she still isn't here with you.

For the pictures, mine weren't dated either. I submitted them on photo album pages that had a hard coverstock that I could tape the pics to. I also included a separate list of what the pics were, who were pictured, and what the date was or an approximate date.

Edited by Laura and Ali

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi, I think your evidence of being in Morocco is good. I also included evidence that my fiance was in the same town as me. Wanted it to be clear we were actually together all that time. So maybe a school card for him, or something like that?

ANd as for the financial information..... those of us who have interviewed in the last few months (at least) weren't required to bring ANY financial info. So don't worry about it for now. You probably have at least 4 months before the interview, and most likely you won't have to provide it even for that. I emailed the consulate before my fiance's interview and they clarified no financial info was needed.

Of course, we've been in AP for 40 days now, so maybe there's something I don't know!! ha ha

My husband was studying in the US when we met, so I submitted his visa/passport stamps, some paperwork he had stating where he lived. I also submitted an official school thing stating where I lived (since I also lived on campus). I also sent some pictures and I think we had a hotel receipt together I sent in. What you have looks good for the US stage of the process. Obviously the Morocco embassy is a tough one, so make sure you get advice from the couples going through that embassy to weigh in when you get to your interview.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Chris

Your documentation of meeting sounds like more than enough. You do not need financial information until the interview, many months down the road.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Everything sounds fine, but no photos of you two together?

I believe that just because you can prove you were there.

The income will be fine.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Everything sounds fine, but no photos of you two together?

I believe that just because you can prove you were there.

The income will be fine.

She stated that they DID take picures together. Sounds like sound proof of meeting. Good luck :thumbs:

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

hahahah everyone i am the guy and my moroccan fiancee is the girl :)

everyone keeps saying the opposite lol

and yeah i have like 10 pics of us together that i am sending in, so im good on that, thanks though :)

Edited by chrisc85

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.