franklocks

When to file

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi Folks,

I married in June, 2005 in my homeland and got my conditional resident here in the US in May, 2007. Currently, i have been approved for the 10-yr GC. When am I qualified to apply for naturalization?

Your usual contributions are highly welcome. :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I posted a similar question here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=201292

According with this website ( http://www.fwhonglaw.com/eng/areas/imm/IV_...bligations.htm) you may apply for naturalization 3 months before becoming eligible. I am just waiting for confirmation of that in my post with the VJs experts!

If that is correct you may apply on Feb 2010 (depending on the exact day of your first GC) but if you want to be 100% sure then just apply anytime after MAY/XX/2010 (XX=day on your first GC)

Good luck.

05/25/10 - N-400 package delivered in Phoenix, AZ

06/04/10 - Check cashed

06/10/10 - NOA received

06/16/10 - Case available online

06/17/10 - Case online showing RFE (Biometrics notice) sent on 06/16/10

06/21/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

07/08/10 - Biometrics appointment

07/07/10 - Walk in Biometrics

08/06/10 - Email / Text for for new case status: "Test and Interview"

08/09/10 - Interview Appointment letter received for 09/13/10

09/13/10 - Interview Approved!

09/13/10 - Same Day Ceremony! I am a US Citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi Csoul,

Thanx for the info. Hey, once u are in CSC, be rest assured u will be approved soon. Good luck. :dance:

I posted a similar question here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=201292

According with this website ( http://www.fwhonglaw.com/eng/areas/imm/IV_...bligations.htm) you may apply for naturalization 3 months before becoming eligible. I am just waiting for confirmation of that in my post with the VJs experts!

If that is correct you may apply on Feb 2010 (depending on the exact day of your first GC) but if you want to be 100% sure then just apply anytime after MAY/XX/2010 (XX=day on your first GC)

Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Everybody answered to my post that is not 3 months before becoming elegible the real number is 90 days... Another user recommend me to wait until 80 days window to be sure and that way you application is not going to be returned.

Good luck.

Edited by csoul

05/25/10 - N-400 package delivered in Phoenix, AZ

06/04/10 - Check cashed

06/10/10 - NOA received

06/16/10 - Case available online

06/17/10 - Case online showing RFE (Biometrics notice) sent on 06/16/10

06/21/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

07/08/10 - Biometrics appointment

07/07/10 - Walk in Biometrics

08/06/10 - Email / Text for for new case status: "Test and Interview"

08/09/10 - Interview Appointment letter received for 09/13/10

09/13/10 - Interview Approved!

09/13/10 - Same Day Ceremony! I am a US Citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY ACT

INA: ACT 319 - MARRIED PERSONS AND EMPLOYEES OF CERTAIN NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS

(a) Person whose spouse is a citizen of the United States, or person who obtained status as a lawful permanent resident by reason of her status as a spouse of a United States citizen who battered him or her or subjected him or her to extreme cruelty, may be naturalized upon compliance with all the requirements of this title except the provisions of paragraph (1) of section 316(a)*. if such person immediately preceding the date of filing his application for naturalization has resided continuously, after being lawfully admitted for permanent residence, within the United States for at least three years, and during the three years immediately preceding the date of filing his application has been living in marital union with the citizen spouse, who has been a United States citizen during all of such period, and has been physically present in the United States for periods totaling at least half of that time and has resided within the State or the district of the Service in the United States in which the applicant filed his application for at least three months.

I THINK THERE IS NO REASON TO WAIT EXACTLY FULL 3 YEAR OF MARRIAGE. YOU CAN APPLY 90 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR 3 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE ISSUANCE OF YOUR FIRST GREEN CARD

* INA: ACT 316 - REQUIERMENTS AS TO RESIDENCE, GOOD MORAL CHARACTER, ATTACHMENT TO THE PRINCIPLES OF THE CONSTITUTION, AND FAVORABLE DISPOSITION TO THE UNITED STATES

a) No person, except as otherwise provided in this title, shall be naturalized, unless such applicant, (1) immediately preceding the date of filing his application for naturalization has resided continuously, after being lawfully admitted for permanent residence, within the United States for at least five years and during the five years immediately preceding the date of filing his application has been physically present therein for periods totaling at least half of that time, and who has resided within the State or within the district of the Service in the United States in which the applicant filed the application for at least three months, (2) has resided continuously within the United States from the date of the application up to the time of admission to citizenship, (3) during all the periods referred to in this subsection has been and still is a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States.

09/24/06 Married in my native country

09/26/06 Filed I 130 in the consulate and first interview with both of us

10/09/06 Second interview only me

10/12/06 I got my passport with the CR-1 stamp on it and the packet with docs

10/15/06 Arrived on LAX, fingerprints etc

10/23/06 CGC in the mailbox

Removing Conditional Status - LAGUNA NIGUEL CALIFORNIA

07/19/2008 DOC sent /Saturday/ USPS Standart Mail with Delivery Confirmation

07/21/2008 Docs received /Monday/

07/21/2008 Check cashed /Monday/

07/24/2008 NOA received /Thursday/ green card extended for 1 year period NOTICE DATE – 07.21.2008 /Monday/

07/30/2008 NOA ASC Appointment notice /Wednesday/ received NOTICE DATE - 7.25.2008

08/15/2008 Appointment date scheduled

11/06/2008 - GC production order

NATURALIZATION - PHOENIX ARIZONA

10/15/2009 - DOC sent

10/19/2009 - DOC received

10/22/2009 - check cashed

11/12/2009 - fingerprints

12/18/2009 - received yellow letter dated 12/14/2009

12/23/2009 - received email and sms that the case is sent for interview

12/26/2009 - received the interview letter dated 12/22/2009

02/01/2010 - interview

02/19/2010 - oath ceremony

I THINK THERE IS NO REASON TO WAIT EXACTLY FULL 3 YEAR OF MARRIAGE. YOU CAN APPLY 90 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR 3 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE ISSUANCE OF YOUR FIRST GREEN CARD

There's a very good reason to wait until at least 3 full years of marriage. You can only file 90 days prior to the three year anniversary of filing the green card if, on the date you file, you have already been married to and living with your US Citizen spouse for a full three years. To see this explained in plain English, see the box at the bottom of page 22 of the M-476:

If you are applying based on 5 years as a Permanent Resident or 3 years as a Permanent Resident married to a U.S. citizen, you may file for naturalization up to 90 days before you meet the continuous residence requirement. For example, if you are applying based on 3 years of continuous residence as a Permanent Resident married to a U.S. citizen, you can apply any time after you have been a Permanent Resident in continuous residence for 3 years minus 90 days. You may send your application before you have met the requirement for continuous residence only. Therefore, you must still have been married to and living with your U.S. citizen spouse for 3 years before you may file your application. You must also meet all the other eligibility requirements when you file your application with USCIS.

If you want to know the reason in the law, note that INA 319 (a) requires that the applicant during the three years immediately preceding the date of filing his application has been living in marital union with the citizen spouse, and it gives no shortcut on this 3 full years of living in marital union. The 90 day shortcut regulation is found in 8 CFR 334.2 (b), but that regulation only gives a shortcut for the required period of continuous residence.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Please never confuse 90 days with 3 months guys, 90 days is NOT equal to 3 months and I've seen people have their petition rejected by going by the 3 months rule.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

There's a very good reason to wait until at least 3 full years of marriage. You can only file 90 days prior to the three year anniversary of filing the green card if, on the date you file, you have already been married to and living with your US Citizen spouse for a full three years. To see this explained in plain English, see the box at the bottom of page 22 of the M-476:

If you are applying based on 5 years as a Permanent Resident or 3 years as a Permanent Resident married to a U.S. citizen, you may file for naturalization up to 90 days before you meet the continuous residence requirement. For example, if you are applying based on 3 years of continuous residence as a Permanent Resident married to a U.S. citizen, you can apply any time after you have been a Permanent Resident in continuous residence for 3 years minus 90 days. You may send your application before you have met the requirement for continuous residence only. Therefore, you must still have been married to and living with your U.S. citizen spouse for 3 years before you may file your application. You must also meet all the other eligibility requirements when you file your application with USCIS.

If you want to know the reason in the law, note that INA 319 (a) requires that the applicant during the three years immediately preceding the date of filing his application has been living in marital union with the citizen spouse, and it gives no shortcut on this 3 full years of living in marital union. The 90 day shortcut regulation is found in 8 CFR 334.2 (B), but that regulation only gives a shortcut for the required period of continuous residence.

So? Is this a clarification? What is it in plain English?

3 years continuous residence & being married AFTER becoming a resident MINUS 90 days (33 MONTHS)= You can apply for naturalization. Os that right or not?

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.