marie007

Border crossing

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all:

I am getting really nervous. I am crossing the border with my visa and that brown envellope, that says do not open. I will cross at Milltown, Maine. I read that it's up to the border quard to let me cross even with the CR-1 Visa. Is this TRUE? What am I to expect? I only have two luggage and two carry on.

I am bringing Montreal Steak spice and a bottle of Acadian summer savoury. I also have a bottle of Melatonin, this is an organic sleep aid. How much cash am I alllowed to have, or is that a dumb question? I am crossing by bus from New-Brunswick. I am meeting my husband in Bangor. We will be married two years June 16, 2009. I am crossing July 19, on a Sunday. Why do uniform people make me nervous? Are they going to go throught all my personal stuff? I'm sitting here typing this with an echo in the room as everything got sold dirt cheap. Still trying to sell the computer, and that is dirt cheap. Someone please answer me, I don't like borders. :help:

Marie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should be fine. They will have you go into secondary, open the envelope, process your visa, stamp your passport and welcome you to the US. Melatonin is available here in the US as well and you should have no problems with customs regarding what you are bringing in in your luggage. Don't worry, you have all of your documents in order and you will be fine.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Why is there so much intimidation, "Do not open the envelope" Post 9/11 I guess,

I remember in the 80's when I got married and moved from toronto, to US , US to Toronto, because of breakup's etc...My car was loaded to the hilt, I even brought the T.V one time and all I got was O.K madam, and on I go,

I know there are strict rules ( for a good reason) .

When I fly to visit my grandkids, I dont bring anything back from the US anymore, cause I spend it all in US to buy the kids stuff, at the border coming back they ask are you bringing anything ? your not declaring anything? Nope ! There like What ? You didnt spend any money ? Oh ya, I spent lots of money ! and they smile , okay , thanks have a good day, and on I go...

Just be incorraged you'll be okay...

Put on a Happy face :yes:

R Alternative / Progressive / Rock

www.myspace.com/dispatchedendorphins

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The brown/yellow envelope contains your complete immigration file from the Consulate. When you hand it over to immigration at the border, they open it and use the information there to process your visa, then forward the envelope and its contents to the USCIS office that has jurisdiction over where you will be living. The reason they say don't open it is that is their way of verifying that the contents haven't been tampered with as a way to get around the immigration process. That is why they stress "Do Not Open". If for any reason it does get opened prior to the border you need to take the envelope back to the consulate where they will check it over, then re-seal it. Yes, life has become more difficult border wise since 9/11 but regardless, I still find it amusing that immigration uses the immigrant as the mail courier for their own immigration records.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

if you will be married over 2 years at the time of your crossing I would mention it at the POE so you will get the 10 year green card instead of the 2 year conditional green card..

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
Why is there so much intimidation, "Do not open the envelope" Post 9/11 I guess,

I remember in the 80's when I got married and moved from toronto, to US , US to Toronto, because of breakup's etc...My car was loaded to the hilt, I even brought the T.V one time and all I got was O.K madam, and on I go,

I know there are strict rules ( for a good reason) .

When I fly to visit my grandkids, I dont bring anything back from the US anymore, cause I spend it all in US to buy the kids stuff, at the border coming back they ask are you bringing anything ? your not declaring anything? Nope ! There like What ? You didnt spend any money ? Oh ya, I spent lots of money ! and they smile , okay , thanks have a good day, and on I go...

Just be incorraged you'll be okay...

Put on a Happy face :yes:

PS: a)Put med's in a baggy

B)I think the declared amount in cash is 9,999.99 anything over like 10,000. you must declare it.

c)cant be near a farm, or bring birds animals.

d)Border crossing web site http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/fast-expre...tilise-eng.html

R Alternative / Progressive / Rock

www.myspace.com/dispatchedendorphins

Timeline

Yes, do not open the envelope, Simple as that,lol I suppose technically, the POE guard could refuse you entry,but DON"T worry about that. It is a very simple process at the POE. It may take sometime as not al POE guards are up to date with the procedure, so the ymay have to look things up and ask a zillion questions. But try to relax, it wil go well. So what are you to expect at the border crossing?

At the POE you will state you would like to Activate your CR-1 visa. I crossed over at Maine too-(Calias) Then instructed to go inside. Where you will hand over the Mysterious "do not open" envelope. they will ask some basic questions, Fingerprint you again and put a stamp on the page that Contains the I-551 (what Montreal put in ur Cdn passport) Most likely wont even check your belongings, but they may. Its a very straight forward procedure, but like I said, soem POE guards don't know it, so it can take awhile. So not sure how long ur bus is going to wait for you.

So when you depart the POE, you wil no longer have that mysterious brown envelope and you should have a stamp on the same page (or next 1) as your Visa that u got from Mtl! You don't need any "ead" stamp or I-94 that others have talked about as they are k1'ers. You can pretty much work right away with ur CR-1! You prob checked off the box on the DS-230 for the SSN to automatically appear, BUT it most likely won't,lol So you will have to goto ur local SSN office and re-apply! You should wait approx 7 -10 business days to ensure your in the system, otherwise they will just tel you to come back,but of course it may be in earlier, only thing your wasting is time,lol You can down load the SSN application form from http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html off course you can do it there, but speeds things up if you have it already completed!! Ensure you bring your Cdn passport that has the visa in it for proof of status and ID!! Your actual Greencard should arrive in the mail approx 1 month after POE! Normally you get a "Welcome to America" letter (sometime 2 or 3,lol) and then the actual card arrives a few days later!!

It may be a pain in the butt going thru the POE but you will get thru it.

and yes what marilyn stated, it appears by the time you cross, you wil have been married for over 2 yrs,so you should get the IR-1 (good for 10 yrs) So I would mention that, but be prepared for a blank look from the POE guard,lol

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
The brown/yellow envelope contains your complete immigration file from the Consulate. When you hand it over to immigration at the border, they open it and use the information there to process your visa, then forward the envelope and its contents to the USCIS office that has jurisdiction over where you will be living. The reason they say don't open it is that is their way of verifying that the contents haven't been tampered with as a way to get around the immigration process. That is why they stress "Do Not Open". If for any reason it does get opened prior to the border you need to take the envelope back to the consulate where they will check it over, then re-seal it. Yes, life has become more difficult border wise since 9/11 but regardless, I still find it amusing that immigration uses the immigrant as the mail courier for their own immigration records.

:rofl: OMG... I never thought of it that way. But, that is SO true!!! Too funny!

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Thank-you. And, oh, Melatonin is available there. Sheesh . of course it is...lol. I will be fine, I needed to hear it.. lol. ok.

Marie

You should be fine. They will have you go into secondary, open the envelope, process your visa, stamp your passport and welcome you to the US. Melatonin is available here in the US as well and you should have no problems with customs regarding what you are bringing in in your luggage. Don't worry, you have all of your documents in order and you will be fine.

Timeline

WOW!!!. I sure hope your right!!!! I would love that. I will mention it's been two year and also mention I have not seen my husband for two years. Man, 10 year, what a stress relief that would be, thanks for mentioning that to me, that was so useful.

if you will be married over 2 years at the time of your crossing I would mention it at the POE so you will get the 10 year green card instead of the 2 year conditional green card..

Timeline

Thanks to all for a quick response. My bus is not in a hurry anymore since Greyhound changed their schedule. It will be July a busy time, athought I was travelling in July before and it wasn't busy at all. I pasted your info and printed it off for me. I also downloaded the SSN form. Thanks a million. Well your right it's a pain in the ####, because you figure you already went for interview and you have past so many papers in , and proof, and then still you pass another gate, At least it's the last Gate for a while. The Gate that we all wait for and pray for. I can't imagine, them giving me a 10 year card, I just can't imagine it. Thanks again.

Marie

Yes, do not open the envelope, Simple as that,lol I suppose technically, the POE guard could refuse you entry,but DON"T worry about that. It is a very simple process at the POE. It may take sometime as not al POE guards are up to date with the procedure, so the ymay have to look things up and ask a zillion questions. But try to relax, it wil go well. So what are you to expect at the border crossing?

At the POE you will state you would like to Activate your CR-1 visa. I crossed over at Maine too-(Calias) Then instructed to go inside. Where you will hand over the Mysterious "do not open" envelope. they will ask some basic questions, Fingerprint you again and put a stamp on the page that Contains the I-551 (what Montreal put in ur Cdn passport) Most likely wont even check your belongings, but they may. Its a very straight forward procedure, but like I said, soem POE guards don't know it, so it can take awhile. So not sure how long ur bus is going to wait for you.

So when you depart the POE, you wil no longer have that mysterious brown envelope and you should have a stamp on the same page (or next 1) as your Visa that u got from Mtl! You don't need any "ead" stamp or I-94 that others have talked about as they are k1'ers. You can pretty much work right away with ur CR-1! You prob checked off the box on the DS-230 for the SSN to automatically appear, BUT it most likely won't,lol So you will have to goto ur local SSN office and re-apply! You should wait approx 7 -10 business days to ensure your in the system, otherwise they will just tel you to come back,but of course it may be in earlier, only thing your wasting is time,lol You can down load the SSN application form from http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html off course you can do it there, but speeds things up if you have it already completed!! Ensure you bring your Cdn passport that has the visa in it for proof of status and ID!! Your actual Greencard should arrive in the mail approx 1 month after POE! Normally you get a "Welcome to America" letter (sometime 2 or 3,lol) and then the actual card arrives a few days later!!

It may be a pain in the butt going thru the POE but you will get thru it.

and yes what marilyn stated, it appears by the time you cross, you wil have been married for over 2 yrs,so you should get the IR-1 (good for 10 yrs) So I would mention that, but be prepared for a blank look from the POE guard,lol

Timeline
WOW!!!. I sure hope your right!!!! I would love that. I will mention it's been two year and also mention I have not seen my husband for two years. Man, 10 year, what a stress relief that would be, thanks for mentioning that to me, that was so useful.

i would suggest having your marriage certificate handy as proof...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.