PJB

Honey, we don't do that in America..............

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Well, my american husband saves all the boxes where the tv and other electronics came in, I'm the one who is always telling him to get rid of that junk! LOL So I don't think its a russian thing ;)

i did that because i moved often. still do keep some of the boxes, but not to the extent i did 20 years ago.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
okay I gotta do this , here we go eh...

One thing we dont do in America is say Eh.....

Okay I wount say eh....

oops I said that word... I am Canadian what do you want... eh :rofl:

In Russia a common and "no big deal" remark is "Knyeshna!" (Of Course!!) Which sounds very rude when said in English with the same intonation used for konyeshna.................

Feb 11, 2005 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

Aug 7,2005 married in the Cathedral in Dmitrov

June 27, 2008 mail I-130

July 11,2008 sent I-129F

Oct 2, 2008 Yuri received packets 3+4 from US Embassy Moscow

Nov 20, 2008 Interview....VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2008 Yuri arrived! No problems :)

April 20, 2009 mailed AOS

May 4, 2009 medical exam

May 21, 2009 biometrics done

June 5, 2009 received EAD by mail

Aug 10, 2009 interview-given greencard congradulations letter with stamp

I like how the Canadian said "wount." Sure, everyone knows Canadians say eh, but not many folks realize they're heavy on the ooounts as well. "Why dooount you go pick some up then, eh?"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I like how the Canadian said "wount." Sure, everyone knows Canadians say eh, but not many folks realize they're heavy on the ooounts as well. "Why dooount you go pick some up then, eh?"

I don't think I have ever said EH in my life.. and I don't say don't like that either :P and I don't say aboot either :P

people in Canada have different accents just like the US does ..lol

mvSuprise-hug.gif

My old girlfriend used to kill me with that "abooot." Terrance and Phillip, eh?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Those darn Canadians they think because they showed us the beautiful game of hockey they can sneak in here and mess up our vending machines with their looneys. j/k

I like canadians, they make beer that isnt cooked to death, bacon that is round and fits on a hamburger bun, and most of all I live close enough to canada that I can fake being canadian when I travel abroad so the natives dont think Im some rude american.

Oops I almost forgot whats the deal with the milk in bags?

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Those darn Canadians they think because they showed us the beautiful game of hockey they can sneak in here and mess up our vending machines with their looneys. j/k

I like canadians, they make beer that isnt cooked to death, bacon that is round and fits on a hamburger bun, and most of all I live close enough to canada that I can fake being canadian when I travel abroad so the natives dont think Im some rude american.

Oops I almost forgot whats the deal with the milk in bags?

Gravy fries are the best!

My buddy (who's from Maine and can get away with it) claimed us as Canadian once while abroad and the Scotsman we were talking to called me out immediately. Turning to my friend he said, "Nope. You may be Canadian, but your friend here, he's an American. I can always tell because they're always wearing the wrong shite." I was wearing a rugby jersey which I thought would be fashionable overseas but apparently it wasn't the right one. That's what I get for wearing an Irish jersey into a Scottish pub. Might as well have just worn a big American flag on my T-shirt.

Русский форум член.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Gravy fries are the best!

My buddy (who's from Maine and can get away with it) claimed us as Canadian once while abroad and the Scotsman we were talking to called me out immediately. Turning to my friend he said, "Nope. You may be Canadian, but your friend here, he's an American. I can always tell because they're always wearing the wrong shite." I was wearing a rugby jersey which I thought would be fashionable overseas but apparently it wasn't the right one. That's what I get for wearing an Irish jersey into a Scottish pub. Might as well have just worn a big American flag on my T-shirt.

During my week in Vladivostok, people kept trying to talk to me while I stared vacantly as if someone was blowing a dog whistle. Either I dressed neutral enough that they couldn't tell I was American; or it was the opposite was true and they knew I was American and they wanted to screw with my head.

06/05/08 - First meeting on dating Website

05/04/09 - First Face to Face meeting in Vladivostok

07/06/09 - I-129F delivered to CSC via UPS

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/02/09 - NOA2 Notification

10/05/09 - NOA2 Hard Copy

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/07/09 - Interview Successful!!

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

During my week in Vladivostok, people kept trying to talk to me while I stared vacantly as if someone was blowing a dog whistle. Either I dressed neutral enough that they couldn't tell I was American; or it was the opposite was true and they knew I was American and they wanted to screw with my head.

Or, maybe they thought, "since you're in Russia, you should speak Russian." No matter where you're from!

For the record, Americans (and Britons, and probably English-speaking Canadians, Aussies and Kiwis) are the only people who DEMAND people to speak English to them, even while on holiday. Seems like the rest of the world's figured out when they travel to a different country, people there speak a different language. We don't look at it like that. "If they want my holiday dollars, they ought speak to me in English. This is absurd, no one even speaks English in this blasted country. Next time, I'm going back to Cozumel where they speak perfect English."

Русский форум член.

Or, maybe they thought, "since you're in Russia, you should speak Russian." No matter where you're from!

For the record, Americans (and Britons, and probably English-speaking Canadians, Aussies and Kiwis) are the only people who DEMAND people to speak English to them, even while on holiday. Seems like the rest of the world's figured out when they travel to a different country, people there speak a different language. We don't look at it like that. "If they want my holiday dollars, they ought speak to me in English. This is absurd, no one even speaks English in this blasted country. Next time, I'm going back to Cozumel where they speak perfect English."

I used to hear the same thing when I lived in Japan as a kid. Fellow servicemen would say "why don't papasan speak English?". The response "because you are in his country moron" never was well received.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I used to hear the same thing when I lived in Japan as a kid. Fellow servicemen would say "why don't papasan speak English?". The response "because you are in his country moron" never was well received.

Ran into the same situation when I lived in Maine. The French Canadiens would come for holiday and refuse to speak english. It'd take them 10 minutes to order an ice cream cone. All you could do is try to stay composed in the 90 F heat while you wait your turn. I encountered several Europeans (mostly Germans) and they all made the effort to speak the native tongue and did quite well.

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Ran into the same situation when I lived in Maine. The French Canadiens would come for holiday and refuse to speak english. It'd take them 10 minutes to order an ice cream cone. All you could do is try to stay composed in the 90 F heat while you wait your turn. I encountered several Europeans (mostly Germans) and they all made the effort to speak the native tongue and did quite well.

I've found that at least making an effort in the language where I'm visiting is good enough that they switch to English on their own just to stop me from butchering their language any more (or maybe I've earned enough good will by showing how poorly I speak that they aren't so embarrassed by their relatively better English). It was actually a bit disappointing, what else were my 3 years of study good for?! I didn't even pick one to marry. Hmph. Though I had more trouble in Austria, where my (supposedly- according to Bavarians - "very good" news-caster) German got looks like I'd sprouted 4 heads (nominally better in Berlin). Unfortunately, when I visited the Czech Republic, I'd only learned Dobry Day and beer...though I soon learned I liked Becherovka better, and no amount of Sprechen Sie Deutsch? or [more desperately] Comprende Espanol? or sign language got me further than that, as only the lady in the hotel spoke any English at all in our encounters. Luckily there were English menus to be had, or who knows what sort of animal parts we might have accidentally ordered for dinner??

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

I spent some time in Bolivia visiting friends several years ago and while I was trying to speak spanish, everyone wanted me to speak english because they wanted to practice. I kept telling them I dont speak english, I speak american and worse yet I speak midwestern american. This was very confusing so I spent two weeks teaching some very nice bolivian women how to be a sarcastic midwesterner.

Also as a reply I am not afraid of the canadians, if they attacked I would either send the salvation army after them or put on my referee shirt and send them all to the penalty box for a 5 minute major and a game misconduct for charging with intent to injure. hahahaha

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

It's so funny to me when I run into French Canadiens whilst on holiday.

"You're just a Canadian, there's nothing fancy about you. Now drop the act, I know you speak better English than most of the natives here in De-twa."

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.