La Souris

Where are you moving/living in the USA?

107 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm moving from Ottawa, ON to Tulsa, OK. Tulsa is um... interesting. I find it cute that there is a "bail bonds" area of town (perhaps that is normal in the U.S. and I just haven't happened upon it in any of the other cities I've been to?) It also made me giggle when my husband and I ordered sandwiches at some BBQ place, and there was a flyer for the "World's Largest Gun Show" attached to the receipt. It's a VERY different atmosphere than Ottawa. I assume I'll have a hard time adjusting... "why do you all... I'm sorry... "y'all" like guns so much?" "Why don't people wear helmets while riding motorcycles?" "Why do they feel the need to have a billboard for 'Tulsa's #1 Rated Heart Surgery?' How does that even make sense?" "Why did I just get yelled at for accidentally giving the lady a Canadian quarter while purchasing this beverage?" And most importantly... "WHERE THE HELL ARE THE SIDEWALKS?!?"

Montreal is not so different from Boston... yet, I can't believe I was told not to go in certain parts of town :blink: I'll see by myself how comfortable I get going anywhere and everywhere.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Montreal is not so different from Boston... yet, I can't believe I was told not to go in certain parts of town :blink: I'll see by myself how comfortable I get going anywhere and everywhere.

My friend went back to Harvard for some additional doctorate studies and rented an apartment in Boston. One night he came out of the shower and there was a guy in his room going through his things! :o

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My wife moved from Windsor, Ontario to Auburn Hills, Michigan.

My fiance is coming from London, ON to Commerce, Michigan (just north of Novi - where 12 Oaks Mall is)... the WAYYYYY out north/northwest suburbs of Detroit. We're not too far from each other, Bowflex. :)

But, we are moving out to the Phoenix, Arizona area in about 4-5 years. Yea!!! Can't wait! Still up for a Canyon trip, Huggles??!!

Heck yes!! I think you should move it to 1-2 years, but that's just me! :P

Speaking of bail bonds, I would like to point out that I am moving to the home of Dog the Bounty Hunter! Heck yes! I know what you're thinking, doesn't he live and work in Hawaii? And yes, he does, but he also has a shop in Denver and episodes are often filmed there. Its a good show! Don't judge me!! :lol:

My wife moved from Windsor, Ontario to Auburn Hills, Michigan.

My fiance is coming from London, ON to Commerce, Michigan (just north of Novi - where 12 Oaks Mall is)... the WAYYYYY out north/northwest suburbs of Detroit. We're not too far from each other, Bowflex. :)

But, we are moving out to the Phoenix, Arizona area in about 4-5 years. Yea!!! Can't wait! Still up for a Canyon trip, Huggles??!!

Heck yes!! I think you should move it to 1-2 years, but that's just me! :P

Speaking of bail bonds, I would like to point out that I am moving to the home of Dog the Bounty Hunter! Heck yes! I know what you're thinking, doesn't he live and work in Hawaii? And yes, he does, but he also has a shop in Denver and episodes are often filmed there. Its a good show! Don't judge me!! :lol:

:lol:;) At least now I know I am not the only one!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I came from Miramichi, New Brunswick to Raleigh, North Carolina.

So....heatwise, July and August are going to kill me. We can get such high humidity it feels as though you're walking through clouds. My hubby is originally from Southern California, but has been here for a couple years and STILL cannot deal with the humidity here. At least growing up in the maritimes I know what a bit of humidity feels like :)

Love Raleigh though, reminds me a lot of Halifax, without the water *boo*. I get so lost driving, but there is so much around. I also love that I'm about equidistant from the beach and the mountains, so i couldn't ask for more :)

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Moved to South Jersey from Toronto, ON.

K-1 Visa Timeline

01.07.08 Sent in I-129f package

01.24.08 NOA1

03.25.08 NOA2

04.18.08 Package 3 received

05.07.08 Medical @ Dr. Seiden's in T.O.

05.09.08 Sent back checklist & forms

05.13.08 Mtl received & eligible for interview

06.12.08 Called DOS & found out interview date

06.19.08 Received interview letter

07.24.08 Interview in Montreal - Approved!! :D

07.28.08 Received Visa!!!

08.04.08 POE Alexandria Bay

08.18.08 Civil Ceremony

10.11.08 Wedding

AOS Timeline

04.25.09 Sent in AOS, EAD, AP package

04.27.09 Accepted at Chicago Office

05.01.09 NOAS for AOS, EAD & AP

05.12.09 Biometrics Appt letter

06.02.09 Biometrics done

07.01.09 EAD card production ordered & AP approval

07.09.09 Received AP

07.13.09 Received EAD

07.17.09 Received AOS interview notice

08.17.09 AOS interview - Approved !! :D

Removing Conditions

08.16.11 I-751 received by VSC

08.24.11 NOA came in mail

09.07.11 Biometrics appt notice

09.30.11 Biometrics appt

Filed: Timeline

Cat loves Dog too! :lol:Link

I came from Miramichi, New Brunswick to Raleigh, North Carolina.

I've been there! (Lived in Oromocto.) I just love that name. I had no idea how to pronounce it when I first moved there, though. lol

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Moved to South Jersey from Toronto, ON.

Yay another S. Jersey person! I am going to build an army soon! :P

And then you could say "Mine!" when someone asks you "You and whose army?"

:lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

From Kitchener-Waterloo ON to Centreville, VA in Northern Virginia

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have had a few run ins with the exotic wildlife of SC. The first time I visited I saw these big huge flying bettle-like bugs circling around the light fixture at the bus station in Columbia. (Note to everyone stay far away from the bus station in Columbia). I have no idea what they were, they were like way bigger than a toonie. Last weekend we visited Cypress Gardens. As usual we took a row boat out in the swamp and saw egrets and baby gators. After that we walked around the park and when we were back at the entrance we noticed a newer looking path we hadnt been down before. So we walked about 1/2 km down the path and I heard a noise, looked to my left and said "Oh look at the little piggies." They weren't piggies at all. They were scary wild boars with big tusks/teeth who could run very very fast. Needless to say we booked it back to the truck. Oh and I attempted to make friends with a very large crab at the beach, but he was just too crabby for me :rofl:

Edited by amberL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.