July09Bride

Canadians going to Michigan on K1

32 posts in this topic

I`m not sure how long the marriage license in MI is good for, but you might have a hard time getting it before you move.

Lets say the license is good for 30 days. your interview is May 1st, you want to get married June 15th. Well you wouldn`t be able to get it before you move then unless you try and go for a visit without using your Visa. My understanding is both people have to be present to get a marriage license in most states.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Only one person (the Michigan resident) has to be present to get the marriage license. The Michigan resident must have the appropriate documentation for the non-resident he/she will marry, but that person need not be present. It is good for 30 days and there is a 3 day waiting period to get the license.

Only one person (the Michigan resident) has to be present to get the marriage license. The Michigan resident must have the appropriate documentation for the non-resident he/she will marry, but that person need not be present. It is good for 30 days and there is a 3 day waiting period to get the license.

oh well that's good to know! I know here we both had to go.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline
Lol I think immigration is going to be Michigan's only hope to get more people living here now. I'm going to start a campaign to get more Tim Hortons built around the state for us to become Canada's hotspot hahaha

LOL. Yea, I don't think many US residents are moving to Michigan, unless they have a really good reason!

Canada's HotSpot eh? Gonna need A LOT of Timmies for that! How ya liking this snow?

Anyways...went to the county clerk's office this afternoon & he asked us for our passports(he photocopied them) & driver's licenses(he photocopied them) & made us fill out a short application.

Its good for 30 days(getting married next Saturday) & we can pick it up Thursday.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

LOL. Yea, I don't think many US residents are moving to Michigan, unless they have a really good reason!

Canada's HotSpot eh? Gonna need A LOT of Timmies for that! How ya liking this snow?

Anyways...went to the county clerk's office this afternoon & he asked us for our passports(he photocopied them) & driver's licenses(he photocopied them) & made us fill out a short application.

Its good for 30 days(getting married next Saturday) & we can pick it up Thursday.

Glad to hear that went smoothly for ya :)

This snow is already getting everyone here frightened about leaving and stuff, I'm so glad I only live 15 minutes-ish from the office. Used to take me over 2 hours to drive home before we moved nice and close :)

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

So I went to the secretary of state to get a Michigan DL. Since I am married, I wanted it in my married name. They wouldn't process me because my SSN is still in my maiden name. Today I went to the SSN office to change my name on that & they too wouldn't do it because all my immigration papers were in my maiden name! They told me to call USCIS & come back when I had something in my new name!!!! :angry:

Called USCIS & I can't get anything until I file for AOS/AP, etc....which I'm planning on doing. But still!

I just thought you could go there with your marriage license & they'd change it?

Timeline

I think Secretary of State is so annoying! Sad to hear you can't get your drivers license in Michigan yet. Wait in long lines at the Secretary of State and then not get what you wanted in the end, that has been my experience. Changing my name once my fiance gets here from Canada (still waiting for an interview in Montreal) doesn't sound like much fun but I can't wait until I can do change it!

Edited by lilacvioletiris

Timeline
I think Secretary of State is so annoying! Sad to hear you can't get your drivers license in Michigan yet. Wait in long lines at the Secretary of State and then not get what you wanted in the end, that has been my experience. Changing my name once my fiance gets here from Canada (still waiting for an interview in Montreal) doesn't sound like much fun but I can't wait until I can do change it!

It shouldn't be too bad since you're the USC. But dealing with the governmnet is still no fun! lol

• 1 month later...
Timeline

So I went to the secretary of state to get a Michigan DL. Since I am married, I wanted it in my married name. They wouldn't process me because my SSN is still in my maiden name. Today I went to the SSN office to change my name on that & they too wouldn't do it because all my immigration papers were in my maiden name! They told me to call USCIS & come back when I had something in my new name!!!! :angry:

Called USCIS & I can't get anything until I file for AOS/AP, etc....which I'm planning on doing. But still!

I just thought you could go there with your marriage license & they'd change it?

That's exactly what I went through today. Although when I went to SS office, she typed my new name in, and gave me a sheet of paper saying that I have applied for a new card but the name change won't take effect for a while until immigration approves my documents in the new name. The sheet of paper they gave me had my married name on it. I'll go back to Secretary of State later this afternoon and show them the sheet and ask if they can't give me the DL in my married name, can they give it to me in my maiden name. And then I'll change it when I get my SSN changed later

0vi7t8.png

Timeline

That's exactly what I went through today. Although when I went to SS office, she typed my new name in, and gave me a sheet of paper saying that I have applied for a new card but the name change won't take effect for a while until immigration approves my documents in the new name. The sheet of paper they gave me had my married name on it. I'll go back to Secretary of State later this afternoon and show them the sheet and ask if they can't give me the DL in my married name, can they give it to me in my maiden name. And then I'll change it when I get my SSN changed later

A few weeks after I went back the 2nd time to try to change my name, I got a letter in the mail (also with my new married name on it) saying they were going to process a SSN in my new name. I took that to the Secretary of State & they accepted it & gave me a license with my married name. I'm sure it'll work for you!!

Timeline

A few weeks after I went back the 2nd time to try to change my name, I got a letter in the mail (also with my new married name on it) saying they were going to process a SSN in my new name. I took that to the Secretary of State & they accepted it & gave me a license with my married name. I'm sure it'll work for you!!

Sounds great, I'll take that letter to them later today and see what they say. Thanks :)

0vi7t8.png

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

How long did it take to get the certified copy of the marriage license after your weddings? I want to know how long after the wedding I will have to wait to file adjustment of status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

depends where you live. for me the count clerk said to wait 3 weeks grrr. but we are going in today anyway to see if we can get the certificate.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

How long did it take to get the certified copy of the marriage license after your weddings? I want to know how long after the wedding I will have to wait to file adjustment of status.

We got married on a Saturday & we went in on Tuesday & got the license plus copies while we waitied.

**We would've gone Monday, but the Northville location only does it Tues & Thurs.

Timeline

We got married on a Saturday & we went in on Tuesday & got the license plus copies while we waitied.

**We would've gone Monday, but the Northville location only does it Tues & Thurs.

So you took it back to the county clerk's office directly?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.