domegirl1978

why do people not listen when you try to give them good advice? VENT

75 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm not even going to bother recommending an immigration lawyer. They basically all say the same thing. My fiance and I asked 13, yes you are reading right THIRTEEN immigration lawyers that we knew what route to go and 12 of the 13 said for me to just cross the border and adjust my status from the U.S.

And just to say, half these lawyers were American and half were Canadian and they basically all told us to go the illegal route. So its not even worth wasting my breath over.

I find that a little difficult to believe. Why would a lawyer suggest you do that when he or she could make money off you doing it the legal way? :unsure:

We only saw ONE lawyer here in DC and thats exactly what she told us--for me to just stay and AOS! Of course we didnt, not could I at the time as I was still in the Air Force. So she stated, just do it when ever your ready, many people go that route and I'm sure they do.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
You know, you're right.

I'm lying to you....

That's exactly what I was thinking.... "No. She's lying. :rolleyes: " :lol:

Sorry, DP. That's how you came across.

I'm not quite sure how saying "that doesn't make sense" equates to "you're lying." Completely different ideas.

Timeline
I'm not quite sure how saying "that doesn't make sense" equates to "you're lying." Completely different ideas.

Your actual words were "I find that a little difficult to believe." That statement is generally acknowledged to mean "You're lying."

I'm not questioning any of you. I do find it difficult to believe, but not because I think anyone is lying. I merely find it difficult to believe that so many lawyers would suggest a route that's not only illegal, but one that wouldn't net them any money. That's what doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: Timeline
I'm not questioning any of you. I do find it difficult to believe, but not because I think anyone is lying. I merely find it difficult to believe that so many lawyers would suggest a route that's not only illegal, but one that wouldn't net them any money. That's what doesn't make sense to me.

That's because you're American. :hehe:

iagree.gif

Timeline

Yes... I guess the reason I'm thinking logically and not attacking others here (despite what some may believe) is simply due to being an American. Thank you. :D

Filed: Timeline

Yes... I guess the reason I'm thinking logically and not attacking others here (despite what some may believe) is simply due to being an American. Thank you. :D

It was a joke, DP. You need to fix your detector. No one was attacking you.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Come on DPX, you know american logic dictates that you are supposed to bomb the thread, and then ask questions later :P

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just a little update on the story of my friend. Her boyfriend most probably has to go back to the states in about 3 months for business. By then he will know how his business venture in Montreal has worked or not and depending on that, they will have to decide what to do.

I spoke with my best friend today as its my b-day and she called me and she brought up her fears today of possibly screwing herself over in the visa process. She informed me thats shes completely out of debt in exactly one year and that she will stay here and pay that off.

So she decided to take my advice and will be either doing the direct consular filing if his business here is successful and he is able to stay. He could stay another year and a half anyway and work for another corporation because his work visa is still valid but he would make more money in the U.S. so it may be a better choice to go back to Jersey. If he does go back, she will stay, pay her debts and go the K-1 route. I'm glad she listened to my advice. Now its up to her to follow through with her choices.

As for the other topic of the lawyers telling me and others to go the illegal route, well, for me its a moot point. I am already at the point where I should be receiving my packet 3 in the next couple of weeks according to the consulate so I'm nearing the end of this phase of the process soon I hope.

I will end up filing later than i thought because I am leaving on vacation to Florida at the end of this month and that'll be around the time I get packet 3 so I won't be able to start anything until I get back the 2nd week of July. Also, my future in-laws have to co-sponsor us because my fiance didn't make enough money on his last 3 years tax returns and my in-laws happen to be very well off and will have to find all the info the I-134 requires. (I truly thank God that my future father-in-law is a doctor for 2 reasons....if anything happens with my falling ill i have someone i can trust there to take care of me and also the fact that he makes enough to sponsor me. i'm very blessed.)

I'm just hoping that once i do file towards the end of july that it doesn't take months and months to get an interview. I hope those of you who are filing at about the same time will keep me posted on your interview dates so i can get an idea of when mine would possibly be.

Timeline

Did you consider that all of the lawyers were probably not immigration lawyers? Maybe domegirl knows lawyers and that is why she talked to so many - in which case the flip answer would be easy to believe.

Plus, if immigration isn't your thing - you would probably be a real estate lawyer so you could just saunter in to the office two days a week to witness signatures :lol:

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

All the lawyers we spoke to were immigration lawyers. My sisters best friend is an immigration lawer and he and his 2 partners told me to move to the States.

My fathers friend of 30 years is an immigration lawyer as is his daughter and they both told me to just move to the States.

My cousins brother in law and sister in law are immigration lawyers, they both told me just move to the States.

My future in laws both spoke to 3 immgration lawyers on our behalf and guess what? They told my in laws to tell me to move to the States.

My fiance has a friend who just graduated law school, he is not an immigration lawyer but told me to move to the States. BUT his boss is an immigration lawyer and she said the same thing....move and adjust status.

The other lawyer was not an immigration lawyer, just a family friend who is a criminal lawyer, ran the story by her and she was the only one who told us not to go that route....probably because shes a criminal lawyer. :whistle:

Timeline
All the lawyers we spoke to were immigration lawyers. My sisters best friend is an immigration lawer and he and his 2 partners told me to move to the States.

My fathers friend of 30 years is an immigration lawyer as is his daughter and they both told me to just move to the States.

My cousins brother in law and sister in law are immigration lawyers, they both told me just move to the States.

My future in laws both spoke to 3 immgration lawyers on our behalf and guess what? They told my in laws to tell me to move to the States.

My fiance has a friend who just graduated law school, he is not an immigration lawyer but told me to move to the States. BUT his boss is an immigration lawyer and she said the same thing....move and adjust status.

The other lawyer was not an immigration lawyer, just a family friend who is a criminal lawyer, ran the story by her and she was the only one who told us not to go that route....probably because shes a criminal lawyer. :whistle:

:lol:

Timeline

HAHAHAH! I figured I would actually sit down and figure out everyone I spoke to and then write it all down in a post.....Looking at it now makes me :blink:

I must say looking at all those people I listed makes me pee myself with laughter.....I could have started the K-1 about 2 months sooner and saved myself talking to all those people and having my cousin and in-laws jump into the mix. :lol: But i'm glad i did it anyway because i chose the right way to go about it for me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

:rofl:

You are funny for some not so funny reasons...if you get my drift.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.