domegirl1978

How long after your approval did you move to the states?

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I received my Visa on April 16th and I am not moving until June 26th. I had to wait for my condo to sell, luckily it sold just after I got my Visa.

Why can't you start getting things in order now to be able to move in a few months when you get your Visa in hand?

ROC

Sept 9/11 - Sent I-751 Package in Mail

Sept 12/11 - Package received at CSC

Sept 15/11 - Cheque cashed

Sept 16/11 - Receive NOA for I-751

Sept 19/11 - Receive Biometrics Appointment Letter dated 9/15/2011

Oct 7/11 - Biometrics Appointment

Dec 2/11 - Greencard production ordered

Dec 3/11 - received email from USCIS advising card production

AOS

Aug 6/09 - Sent AOS, EAD, AP Package in mail

Aug 8/09 - Packaged received in Chicago

Aug 13/09 - Cheque cashed

Aug 17/09 - Receive NOA for I-485, I-765 and I-131

Aug 21/09 - Receive Notice for Biometrics Appt

Aug 24/09 - RFE Sent in Mail

Aug 29/09 - RFE recieved

Sept 3/09 - Mail back RFE package

Sept 5/09 - RFE package received

Sept 10/09 - I-485 case resumed

Sept 10/09 - Address changed on I-485, I-765 and I-131

Sept 15/09 - Biometrics Appt

Sept 28/09 - AP Approved, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #1

Oct 1/09 - Received AP Hardcopy in Mail, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #2

Oct 5/09 - Received EAD Card

Oct 29/09 - Received Interview Letter

Dec 2/09 - Interview --APPROVED!!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

I moved less than two weeks after my visa was approved but I had done everything i needed to do before my interview.

I bet your finance reacted badly just because he assumed that you would want to move right away. I know I get tetchy when I get surprised. I usually just need a little bit of time to adjust my thinking.

I hope all goes well in your - eventual :hehe: - move.

~ Catherine

Timeline

To answer Tankgurl- thats exactly what i want to do. Basically leave a month to 6 weeks after receiving my visa. Not more than that. Just to get things finalized and straightened out. I do plan on doing alot before i go.

I also forgot to mention that next week I am going to my foot surgeon and MAY have to have surgery on my ankle. This could also delay things if I have to have an operation because as we all know, if its not a major emergency they are not going to book you for surgery right away. From my other surgery experiences, I had to wait about 3-4 months to get operated. If the doctor says i HAVE to have the operation then I will stay here until its done and I get better which is about one month from start to finish. And of course I'm hoping I won't have to get operated.

To answer Trailmix- yes, i understand where he's coming from. and i know it hurts his feelings when i say i want to stay here a bit longer to tie up loose ends. Our relationship is slightly different than other people's here on VJ. We have been friends for 17 years. We met at the age of 15. At this point, after all this time, there is nothing I feel that I can't tell him and i do express my feelings to him all the time.

If it were the other way around and I was waiting for him, i can honestly say 100% that i would be ok with waiting a little while longer to settle things. Would i miss him? Of course. But would it kill me to wait another 6 weeks? No. Because in the end I know where we stand and that we want to spend the rest of our lives together.

I should also mention that yes, he is willing to help me pay off the rest of my debt. But I also mentioned that he wants to quit his job and find a new one and it's not for sure he'd make the same amount of money and if he doesn't, things would be even more tight monetarily for us. And I also did not mention that he has almost 9,000$ of his own debt to pay off and therefore I don't want him paying off mine when he should be concentrating on paying off his own.

Maybe it is selfish of me to want to stay here a few months longer. I just feel that in the end, it would definitely benefit us if i did.

Timeline

To answer BermyCat- This was not a surprise that i just threw on him. This has been my plan sicne we started the process and he's always known this. Because everything is moving now that we received our NOA2, I think hes getting more antsy about it. I have always made it very clear about being here 30-90 days after i have my visa in hand.

Timeline

I got my visa in March, and I'm moving June 6th. I had originally though it would be more like the end of June, but I moved it up because I was ready sooner.

Basically, like you I wanted to give my employer notice, tie up all my loose ends and see all my friends and family. I also have debt and needed to save more money in order to not feel completely broke when I moved.

And, to be quite honest, I have 10 days left and I am anxious that I won't be able to do everything I want to do and see everyone I want to see before I leave.

I always thought I would want to just pick up and leave right away, but I'm really glad I took my time. It's also given me the option of easing into the move. I've been talking about it and thinking about it now for a couple of months. So, I feel more ready now because it wasn't too abrupt.

I think giving yourself time is completely fair. You are going to the spend the rest of your lives together :)

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I got my visa in March, and I'm moving June 6th. I had originally though it would be more like the end of June, but I moved it up because I was ready sooner.

Basically, like you I wanted to give my employer notice, tie up all my loose ends and see all my friends and family. I also have debt and needed to save more money in order to not feel completely broke when I moved.

And, to be quite honest, I have 10 days left and I am anxious that I won't be able to do everything I want to do and see everyone I want to see before I leave.

I always thought I would want to just pick up and leave right away, but I'm really glad I took my time. It's also given me the option of easing into the move. I've been talking about it and thinking about it now for a couple of months. So, I feel more ready now because it wasn't too abrupt.

I think giving yourself time is completely fair. You are going to the spend the rest of your lives together :)

Word. Not to mention, as you are saying, he knew about it! Sounds like he's being a bit of a cry baby to me! :lol:

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Apprroved Oct 10 and moved Nov 12 or so.

I gave my notice at my apartment notice Oct 1 for the Dec 1 - yah, I took a chance that Montreal might not approve me, but if I had come back with bad news, I could have extended it with out a problem.

I gave my notice at work the day I returned from Montreal :) A bitter sweet day for sure. I just wanted out, we'd been dating a long time, the Visa process had taken it's toll so I wanted to get going.

Treble's comments about spending a little more time the last few weeks doing things is a good idea. I was in such a rush, but in hindsight I would maybe have extended it so that my daughter could have finished out her term or whatever.hinsight being 20/20 and all that.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I just wanted to say that he texted me back just now and he says that he thought it over and he's sorry once again and says that I am right. He says I need to do it how I feel comfortable and settle things and sometimes all this stress just gets the better of him. Stay in Canada the extra month and a bit and settle everything so I'm ok with the move.

I wasn't looking to hear that i am right but I'm glad he did say it because at least it makes me believe he gets where I'm coming from. I'll definitely be trying to hurry my stuff up and leave as soon as I can is what I told him and I miss him and love him and don't want him to stress.

Timeline
I just wanted to say that he texted me back just now and he says that he thought it over and he's sorry once again and says that I am right. He says I need to do it how I feel comfortable and settle things and sometimes all this stress just gets the better of him. Stay in Canada the extra month and a bit and settle everything so I'm ok with the move.

I wasn't looking to hear that i am right but I'm glad he did say it because at least it makes me believe he gets where I'm coming from. I'll definitely be trying to hurry my stuff up and leave as soon as I can is what I told him and I miss him and love him and don't want him to stress.

That's good to hear Dome. I swear you'll both be so surprised at how fast that last month goes! I'm actually amazed that I have less than 2 weeks left. I almost wish I had an extra week! (Not really, but you know what I mean).

The one thing I've realized is that being in this long distance relationship has made me very independent and when I realized that a part of that independence is going to be gone soon, it made me realize how much of that independence I take for granted. I always thought I hated it so much. I wished I didn't have to be alone etc. I wish I had someone around all the time. But now I know I will miss my alone time and taking care of things in "my" life. Because soon it will all be "our" life. Not sure if that makes sense.

I'm totally taking advantage of my complete independence for the next 10 days... actually I've been taking advantage of it for the past month!!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

I guess that unless one doesn't really have a "lot" to do after getting the visa, like they have no debt, don't need to sell a place, etc., then moving within a week isn't that bad. But most people need that little extra time.

My interview isn't coming until June. But we've set the wedding for Sept. to also allow time "in case" If the consulate needs more info or something, hopefully the visa would only be delayed 2-4 weeks. I plan on moving Aug. 18th. I, too, need to sell my home, and my boss already knows I'll be working until the 15th of Aug.

*Course..this is if all goes smooth at the interview...lol...* ^_^

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Obviously after going through a whole lot of days waiting (China it was about 330 days and we still have 2 weeks to the interview) some find it hard to wait. Others figure they have been waiting so long a bit more won't hurt.

Personally my wife and I discussed this and decided she wanted 1 month to get things sorted out at home and then she will fly in. I support the fact that she needs to resolve things and leave work on good terms.

Me personally i waited 2 hours :P then the doctor pulled me outta good ole mom :D

My sweetie would like me there now, but like you I have lose ends to tied up. Saying good-bye to friends and family being the biggest one. I'm not going to be able to go home for a while. I have properties to sell as well. He makes jokes about me waiting till the last minute to leave...I am hoping to spend my first 4th of July with him. That's our goal. If not..I'll get there when I am ready to go. Its because they are there waiting...and not understanding that you are basically closing your life back in Canada in order to be with them and that's something you don't do overnight. Good luck!

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Timeline

I have nothing to sell, no loans or leases to get out of, and the only debt I have is a $1,400 OSAP loan I can make payments on from the US, and isn't even payable until October or November. With that said, I'm still waiting a fair amount of time to move. I had my visa the first week of May and the move date is set for June 13th. This is because my graduation is June 11th and I really want to attend, and our wedding is set for August 6th, so I didn't want to push it to far and get married near the very end of the visa's validity. Its hard to just pick up and leave, no matter who you are or what your situation is! I didn't want to count my chickens before they hatched and start packing and things before I actually had my visa in my hand... So a good 6 weeks seemed reasonable to get everything done, say goodbye to family and friends, and make some extra money. The interview process is stressful enough, you don't really want the added stress of knowing you need to be packed and ready to move at the same time.

Timeline

I pretty much had everything all tied up before our interview, so I flew to the States with my dog and my 2 bags 2 days after our interview and I got my visa.

I think that you need to do it how you feel like you need to tie up your ends. I'm sure I'm not making sense, but what I mean is that if you don't do it the way you need to, you won't have closure, and you might regret it in the long run. That wouldn't be a good thing at all!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

I had my interview last Wednesday and I am moving TOMORROW. I had already quit my job though, and my stuff has been in storage for a while so I am more than ready to get down there and start my life with my husband!

***Naturalization ***

Submitted N-400: Dec 30, 2015
USPS Delivery Confirmation:
Direct Debit processed: Jan 5, 2015
NOA: Jan 9, 2015
Biometrics Appointment: Jan 28, 2015
Interview: May 7, 2015
Oath Ceremony: still waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.