lgg

Changing name after CR-1 Complete...

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

don't congratulate me yet as we're far from completing our visa journey. So, I'm wondering... since we had to wait eons for our marriage certificate and such, I had to choose between starting our Visa process or changing my name so, I chose Visa process of course... but, now that we're in motion, I realize that I can't change my name whilst we're being adjudicated and such that's fine but let's say after we've been approved and receive our visa how would I go about changing my maiden name to my married name?

I would very much like to do this. I would have liked to right after getting married but here in Ontario, we had to wait for about 9 weeks before we got our marriage cert (which you need to change your name, FYI) so, I opted to send our Visa papers instead.

I've been doing some research (trying to) find info on this but can't... anyone else do this? How would I go about it...

Thanks a lot,

LGG

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I changed my name during the CR1 process...

when I went to the interview I just told them I changed my name and showed them my marriage certificate and they used my new name on my visa...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Lgg,

First of all, let me say that I haven't been through the CR1 process, nor do I know exactly how to go about going through such (as I did the Visitor to AOS route instead and changed to my married last name in other ways, see SapphireDream's VJ post about how I did this change). Nevertheless my opinion is as follows:

If I were in your shoes, this is what I would do, in regards to changing to your married last name:

1) Get your Canadian marriage certificate asap (wow, 9 weeks is sure a long wait...hope you get that soon)

2) Change your Canadian documents in your married last name (Canadian Passport, Driver's License, etc.)

3) Go to the interview for the CR-1 visa. Bring your marriage certificate and other married last name documents. Explain at the inverview that you would like your 2yr Green Card to be in your married last name instead of your maiden last name. I'm sure they can accomodate such a change for you then. Also mention that you would like your SSN to be in your married last name too.

4) Activate your CR-1 visa at your POE, which will hopefully be in your married last name.

5) Get your 2yr Green Card in the mail, which will hopefully be in your married last name.

5) Go to the SSN and update your immigratoin status and married last name there. Bring your green card, marriage certificate and other married last name documents.

6) Go to your DMV and apply for a driver's license. Bring your green card, marriage certificate, and other married last name documents.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant

don't congratulate me yet as we're far from completing our visa journey. So, I'm wondering... since we had to wait eons for our marriage certificate and such, I had to choose between starting our Visa process or changing my name so, I chose Visa process of course... but, now that we're in motion, I realize that I can't change my name whilst we're being adjudicated and such that's fine but let's say after we've been approved and receive our visa how would I go about changing my maiden name to my married name?

I would very much like to do this. I would have liked to right after getting married but here in Ontario, we had to wait for about 9 weeks before we got our marriage cert (which you need to change your name, FYI) so, I opted to send our Visa papers instead.

I've been doing some research (trying to) find info on this but can't... anyone else do this? How would I go about it...

Thanks a lot,

LGG

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

Hey all, thanks for your replies... that's cool, actually -- i would like to do this.

Um... so far we're still waiting for our NOA2 so while we're in this process, can I go ahead and change my name on all my documents? Like Banking and Passport and such? Then when (soon, I hope!) we go for our interview in Montreal, I just bring in my documents and such to show them change of name?

In Ontario, we don't change the name on our Birth Certificate ( I don't want that) and I'll just change it everywhere else. this'll be okay?

For the interview, we have to bring in all the documents anyway so, it'll all be par for the course.

let me know and then this'll be something I can do as I'd like to.

Thanks all...

:)

LGG

I changed my name during the CR1 process...

when I went to the interview I just told them I changed my name and showed them my marriage certificate and they used my new name on my visa...

USCIS

NVC

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

Kermit the Frog

Timeline

PS...

I, of course, have our wedding certificate now -- we wouldnt' have sent in our I-130 without it, I was just saying that it took a very long time to register a marriage in Ontario and I didn't want to take more time to change my name, blah, blah, blah...

BUt yes, do have the wedding certificate now.

and no offense, I'd prefer to hear from people going through the same type of Visa process as every situation is different and thus... I'd hate to make a mistake.

So... any Canadian going through the CR-1 option, let me know how and what you did...

Thanks so much to EVERYONE who answered though -- I'm sure you understand -- not making a mistake is crucial.

Best,

LGG

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Timeline

i don't think anybody changes thier name on the BC anyways....

like I mentioned in the PM, you can change your name as soon as you get the marriage certificate and once you get to the DS-230 form stage fill it out with your new name and make sure to include your maiden name on the forms where it asks for any other names used....

I changed mine after I had already sent in the DS-230 so that is why I had to tell them at the interview, you shouldn't have to if you fill out the DS-230 with your married name

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Thanks a lot, Marilyn... very helpful. So, I guess I'm about to do that ASAP -- it'll give me something to do before filling out the DS-230 form, right?

You all are great -- hopefully I can be of help to someone at some point.

Best,

LGG

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Timeline

One more question...

You say DS-230 but on the CR-1 site it says that upon approval of the i-130, I'll receive a of-230 to fill out -- are these the same things?

Thanks...

LGG

i don't think anybody changes thier name on the BC anyways....

like I mentioned in the PM, you can change your name as soon as you get the marriage certificate and once you get to the DS-230 form stage fill it out with your new name and make sure to include your maiden name on the forms where it asks for any other names used....

I changed mine after I had already sent in the DS-230 so that is why I had to tell them at the interview, you shouldn't have to if you fill out the DS-230 with your married name

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Timeline

yeah I would do it right away.. as the changing the name on your passport might take a few weeks also I am not sure if you are aware but to change the name on your passport, you have to get a whole new passport.... they no longer to amendments for name changes

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

See? This is what I was worried about -- doesn't it matter that my new married name passport will have a different number than my previous passport? The passport that was originally used to fill out our i-130 forms? I just keep thinking that they'll send us out for AP or give us an RFE based on the fact that the passport numbers will no longer match.

This was the main reason that I've put off changing my name for so long... so long, well for like the 6 months we've been married!

:)

Let me know...

best, LGG

yeah I would do it right away.. as the changing the name on your passport might take a few weeks also I am not sure if you are aware but to change the name on your passport, you have to get a whole new passport.... they no longer to amendments for name changes

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Timeline

Thanks, Marilyn...

Much appreciated...

LGG

no it shouldn't matter...

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

All that matters is when you're at the consulate interview, they basically take the name in your passport, and that's exactly what will be on the green card.

When we filed for me, I constantly put my married name in all the forms (I technically go by that name now) but, all my identification was in my maiden name (I wanted to wait before I changed all my info). Not a problem at all during the process or interview...they just said to me "you know your green card will be in your maiden name? is that a problem?" Not at all...so just an fyi whatever is in your passport will be on your green card :)

Good luck!

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Timeline

Okay, this all sounds good BUT the last and only question that I have pending my going ahead and changing my maiden name to married name is this:

I used my current passport (maiden name) to fill out the application for our 1-130 papers...

SO, if I go ahead and get myself a new passport with married name, will this be a problem? As the the passport will now have a different number as they

have to re-issue passports now and not just amend them.

This is my only concern now. I realize that in getting a passport, I have to jump through all the legal hoops and such and it'll always be a valid document BUT will there be a problem if the number of my old passport used in previous filings don't match my new one for subsequent filings?

I apologize if this is daft and perhaps as easy as just bringing in t he old one or something but I just don't want any hassles because of something that I could

easily have avoided...

Thank you to EVERYONE who answered -- you're all great. And believe me, when it comes my time to disseminate information regarding this process, I'll be happy to do so.

Best,

LGG

Edited by lgg

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.