trailmix

The internet and you

121 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For me, what you see is what you get. I am pretty much the same online as I am in person. It is too much trouble to be otherwise :D

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
For me, what you see is what you get. I am pretty much the same online as I am in person. It is too much trouble to be otherwise :D

Do you look like your avatar :innocent:

I've wondered that about people who use animated avatars.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I do not look like a mouse.

I did put our picture up as my av one day, but people protested. hmmm.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

I wish! Maybe when I was younger, but actually, yes, there is a similarity - although my avatar is much prettier. We have the similar hair colour - mine is more golden blonde -and somewhat similar face shape. The avatar has nicer eyes. I do have bangs, though and the same length hair. I also wear glasses.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I think that people feel more bold when they can hide behind a computer screen. It's a sense of 'fearlessness', like 'you can't touch me' I truly believe that people are far more 'gutsy' on line, and in person many people wear masks to either conform or be like 'oh, I could never say that' as it may not be socially acceptable.

I see many people here on VJ (outside of Canada forums more often LOL) be bully like. I highly doubt all these same people would be walking around all day telling people off. Also, many people have social complexes in person, where as on line they feel like they can secretly let out parts of themselves they normally would hide in 'in person' interactions.

It's also evident when people come on here divulging their personal drama per say, when in real life they would never dare breath a word for a fear of being judged.

That's my take on it. I will say, that I am far more polite on line than in person. Not that I'm rude, but I'm really outspoken and a huge prankster in my normal life. I just am very respectful of other peoples personalities and take into consideration that perhaps not everyone has thick skin as I do. If I feel like someone gains a comfort for me, then I let it all hang out! Lol'! Not that I'm being fake, I'm just myself in various doses :)

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

This is interesting because a lot of us are here because the internet brought us together with someone in a different country. That is certainly the case with us! If neither Bill nor I were genuine online then when we finally met face to face or "in real life" I'm not so sure the relationship ever would have formed. I'm just as I am in person. I'm nice and love helping people and making friends, but sometimes I forget to think before I speak! :lol: And of course, If you catch me on the wrong day I may be a little harsh and snappy.

Last June Bill and I went to Ohio to meet a group of people we had been talking to on the internet for years (from the same website we met on) and it was definitely interesting! For the most part, everyone was the way they are online, but a toned down version of themselves. Personality wise, they were much the same, but a lot quieter and less controversial. For example, one of the guys is notorious for making vulgar sexual comments on the board, but in person, nothing but an off the collar comment that made nobody's head turn. I guess that's similar to when people are so rude online but in person are to scared or too shy to say what they're thinking. The computer offers a safety net and a level of anonymity.

uscandual- Me too!! I'm totally convinced that's what Kathryn looks like :lol:

Edited by Hugglebuggles

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm just me. I'm quiet in real life until I get to know you... then watch out! I ask a lot of questions in real life. Oh wait... both of those also describe me online, too!

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

I dunno if i'm the same or no.. :) I THINK i am.. at least from hubby & I's experience, we really feel like we met the real person online. I think I'm a little wittier online, just seem to be able to think on my feet better .. but other than that.. i'm probably the same online.. that's my guess?

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

So those of you that met your hubby or wifey online, I have a question... it's not like a normal blind date where you can just meet up for coffee, then go home after.... how do you plan meeting an online love for the first time? I know if I told my Mom, I'm going to PHL to meet a guy I met online for the weekend, she probably would have freaked out! Not about meeting him online, but spending the whole w/e with the guy if we never met before.

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
So those of you that met your hubby or wifey online, I have a question... it's not like a normal blind date where you can just meet up for coffee, then go home after.... how do you plan meeting an online love for the first time? I know if I told my Mom, I'm going to PHL to meet a guy I met online for the weekend, she probably would have freaked out! Not about meeting him online, but spending the whole w/e with the guy if we never met before.

GREAT question.. it was NOTHING like a normal date.. I traveled 8 hrs to see this guy and wondered the whole way if he'd like me.. if I'd like him.. etc etc. We'd chatted on the phone for about 2-3 months and then we decided that we'd meet in person for a hiking/biking weekend getaway in Bar Harbor. I didn't tell ANYONE.. except for one close friend (for safety).. I just took a weekend trip myself, went to the hotel and met him.. it was awkward and strange and we were both totally freaked by it..

We'd been reading a book together over the phone at night and the icebreaker was when we read together after our first meal together.. something clicked in my mind between the guy on the phone who used to read to me, and this guy in front of me who was reading to me.. the two worlds collided and voila! I was hooked :)

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

GREAT question.. it was NOTHING like a normal date.. I traveled 8 hrs to see this guy and wondered the whole way if he'd like me.. if I'd like him.. etc etc. We'd chatted on the phone for about 2-3 months and then we decided that we'd meet in person for a hiking/biking weekend getaway in Bar Harbor. I didn't tell ANYONE.. except for one close friend (for safety).. I just took a weekend trip myself, went to the hotel and met him.. it was awkward and strange and we were both totally freaked by it..

We'd been reading a book together over the phone at night and the icebreaker was when we read together after our first meal together.. something clicked in my mind between the guy on the phone who used to read to me, and this guy in front of me who was reading to me.. the two worlds collided and voila! I was hooked :)

That's soooo sweet! I could imagine the first meeting being awkward, but I think that's normal for any first date. I just think it'd be wierd if you get there, don't hit it off at all, and your flight isn't for another day or two :lol: I think meeting online is so cool! If I never met Glen and was still single, I would have definitely been for meeting someone online.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well...let's see -- from my experience... you go over Spring Break... make hotel reservations for yourself ONLY... meet in a public place (bar, etc.)... make sure you know the quickest way out once you're in... meet the judge AND jury (he and his buddies AND their girlfriends were all there - QUITE intimidating)... stumble across your words and act like a silly girl... have a guy nearby try to pick you up in a smarmy way and have the guy you're meeting stand up for you and start to stand between you & the smarmy guy... and then the rest becomes history. :blush:

Simply put, you have to go with your gut instinct. I figured, if all else failed, at least I got to fly in & out of another country and I got to use my passport! I know how strong of a person I am and I knew that I would be able to get out at any time. I didn't tell him where I was staying, so if things went south, I could go back and he didn't know where I would be.

But, that was... OMG... 9 years ago! I'm not sure I'd do it the same way today. Just dunno...... :blink:

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
That's soooo sweet! I could imagine the first meeting being awkward, but I think that's normal for any first date. I just think it'd be wierd if you get there, don't hit it off at all, and your flight isn't for another day or two :lol: I think meeting online is so cool! If I never met Glen and was still single, I would have definitely been for meeting someone online.

ha ha.. we both said if one of us didn't like the other person we could just walk away from the friendship - no questions asked. It was low key, and we hadn't talked about love, like or any mushy stuff before hand (although that quickly happened that weekend), it was low risk for us.. :)

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

It is totally different. My husband came to visit me first but his mom tried every way to go along with him and have him stay in a hotel with her while he visited me during the day. Freaking over protective much? I told my mom about it, she was fine, and my friend drove me to the airport to pick him up. We spent 3 days together. It was super awesome. We clicked right away. I was accustomed to meeting friends online, just never met a guy online who I felt a connection with in that manner.

Also I would never put out on a first date with anyone but ya I put out him on our first night together. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.