Kyo-DJ5

Can my fiancee come on tourist visa?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello everyone. This is my first post here, and I must say that I am so happy to have found this amazing gathering of people and information. My thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

My situation is as follows. I am engaged to a Chinese national who has been living and working in Japan for the past 8 years. I just sent off my very first packet (I-129F, etc), so we're barely getting started. Her work contract as well as her visa is ending the last day of June. She does not want to renew her job contract, and she doesn't want to go back to China either. I would be more than happy for her to come here on tourist visa and stay with me while we go through this process, however I am not sure if it is a good idea. Is it even possible? I have read on other sites that it would look very bad on us, like we are cheating the system..is this true? There is also the problem of her having to leave and re-enter before her 90 day visa expires, since the K-1 process will undoubtedly not be completed.

Does anyone have knowledge in this area or experiences? Thank you again for any knowledge you can share with me.

Hello everyone. This is my first post here, and I must say that I am so happy to have found this amazing gathering of people and information. My thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

My situation is as follows. I am engaged to a Chinese national who has been living and working in Japan for the past 8 years. I just sent off my very first packet (I-129F, etc), so we're barely getting started. Her work contract as well as her visa is ending the last day of June. She does not want to renew her job contract, and she doesn't want to go back to China either. I would be more than happy for her to come here on tourist visa and stay with me while we go through this process, however I am not sure if it is a good idea. Is it even possible? I have read on other sites that it would look very bad on us, like we are cheating the system..is this true? There is also the problem of her having to leave and re-enter before her 90 day visa expires, since the K-1 process will undoubtedly not be completed.

Does anyone have knowledge in this area or experiences? Thank you again for any knowledge you can share with me.

"if" she can get a visitors visa, then by all means, she can stay with you for 6 months - which is the normal length of authorized stay, however, she will have to return home when that expires, or if your petition is up to the embassy/interview stage.

Odds of her getting a visitors visa, pretty slim.

She will probably have to go home to China and process there.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

the K-1 has intent of staying so it will be very difficult to be allowed to enter, and she will not have a job soon, will make it more difficult, she needs to prove that she will leave the United States before her time is up. she needs to prove this by showing that she still has ties with her home country, eg(having a job, mortgage, loans, etc.....)

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Timeline

Thank you for such quick responses. It sounds like the smartest route would be for her to hang tough and renew her work contract and stay in Japan (her contracts are in 3 month increments) I guess. Nobody said this was going to be easy and fun, right? haha

Thanks again! :yes:

Edited by Kyo-DJ5

Thank you for such quick responses. It sounds like the smartest route would be for her to hang tough and renew her work contract and stay in Japan (her contracts are in 3 month increments) I guess. Nobody said this was going to be easy and fun, right? haha

If she does that, she will need to go through the embassy in Japan then.

It actually is "easy" and it will be "fun" when the person comes here to marry you :)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

There's no reason she couldn't apply for the tourist visa though there is a chance she will be denied (and be out the $$). It's perfectly legal for her to visit during the K1 process but she would need to show proof of ties to her home country or run the risk of being denied at the POE.

Many people do successfully visit during the K1 process, but my personal experience is with Europe, not China, so I can't give you any anecdotes to help!

Good luck!

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Timeline

If she does that, she will need to go through the embassy in Japan then.

It actually is "easy" and it will be "fun" when the person comes here to marry you :)

Excellent point, sir :) Keeping eye on the future goal!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.