ak3

Magic Jack

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey guys-

I remember awhile ago ya'll were mentioning the magic jack to Egypt. Can anyone help explaiin it for me? I just need to figure out how my bro-in-law can call us anytime. What do I need to do and how much does it cost? Also, how does it sound? Any better than yahoo voice or skype or the same? Thanks so much I appreciate it a lot!

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Just google magic jack for their website it will explain it all. You need a computer, and a DSL connection, and a phone. With those 3 things the party in Egypt can use the phone to call you on a phone in the USA. Which means you don't have to be at a computer to communicate. Of course they have to be at their computer... but the person they call doesn't have to be.

We don't use it because my Mother In Law doesn't know a THING about computers, she doesn't want to even turn one on. So even though all she would have to do is use a phone (i.e. DIAL) to call us, she would still need a computer and DSL, and THEN she could phone us for free...

Magic Jack goes into the USB port of the computer, phone jack goes into the other end of the Magic Jack... phone then works like a regular phone, through the computer.

I want to take Vonage to her next time we go to Egypt. No computer needed, just plug it into the DSL modem and use like a normal phone both ways... of course it costs $25 a month...

We use Yahoo, Skype , etc. with the kids, but Mom's another story....

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I tried to send one to Cairo in the mail and the customs people confiscated it. They told my husband they were mailing it back to the person who sent it, but I never got it back. 40 bucks down the drain.

I did bring one with me when I moved here so that's fine, as I left one for family back in the states.

I know some people had no trouble mailing the magic jack here, so who knows, maybe you'll be able to do so.

Something else to consider is that at times, the sound and connection aren't that great. I get a lot of static or the line cutting in and out. Not always, but when it happens you really can't have a conversation.

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband brought a magic jack with him when he was visiting EG. He couldn't find a DSL line that had a high enough connection to hear anything from it. I have heard of people sending them by DHL or FED EX and it arriving. You may want to try that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Quick question:

Do you actually need phone service as well here in the US? Or do you use the computer as your phone...?

i mean to say... you would need a computer connection (dsl or cable), but would you need separate phone service as well?

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Quick question:

Do you actually need phone service as well here in the US? Or do you use the computer as your phone...?

i mean to say... you would need a computer connection (dsl or cable), but would you need separate phone service as well?

hi you need connection internet cable or adsl to use it .........i do have one it is working well

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My brother-in-law took one to our family in Agadir. They use it now to call us, but there is always an echo and we have to repeat everything. They got assigned their own number, a US number. Their number is in the same area code that we use so we can call them like a local call. Unfortunately they have to be sitting infront of their computer to accept the call and they never are so we have to whip out the calling card to call their house phone. :(

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

Thanks! :thumbs:

So we don't need regular phone service, then?

No regular phone service. But they can call you anywhere...on a cellphone, at work, landlines, etc. They are the ones that need the internet service.

We have it in Egypt at my MIL's and my SIL's house. 20 bucks a year is a steal and as Tasha said though...you need reliable internet service. So my experience is cities outside of Cairo, Alex, etc. typically have issues especially far remote areas.

It sounds like a good idea to me but now I wonder how to get it there. It sounds like you have to take it there personally or something ...from my experience nothing I ever send arrives so that sucks....Annie, how did you get yours to egypt??

I mailed the magicjack both times. Once with a ton of other things: clothing, shoes, CD's etc. via express mail to Cairo (again I'm not sure outside of Cairo if there are mail issues). We are sending another one next week to a friend of ours as well. We will send it international express mail with other items...clothing, some shoes, etc. I do not mark on the package "magic jack" when they ask what we are sending. I typically just put computer modem or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I have one. It's basically as everyone says buuut I have found for me with a laptop I had to take it and out ... the USB is not real sturdy. Some kids bump it and it broke straight away. So beware ... alot static if the Net is slow ... I have ordered another one. I still think it's great product. Just be careful with it around kids LOL!

I have one. It's basically as everyone says buuut I have found for me with a laptop I had to take it and out ... the USB is not real sturdy. Some kids bump it and it broke straight away. So beware ... alot static if the Net is slow ... I have ordered another one. I still think it's great product. Just be careful with it around kids LOL!

Hey girl! How are you? Where have you been? :D

I'm ok ... been around, working on the house so not much time for the NET. How are you and the cuties? I see they have grown =)

I'm so happy to hear you're doing well! I was just thinking about you the day! I hope all is well at home and your guys are doing well.

The babies are 1 year as of last week...god they are growing like weeds! Thank god :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.